1. We live again. All extra functionality removed for now. Search may be broken as may be other things. With love, ASSEMbler.

Discovered FireFox

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by peterjack, Jul 14, 2017 at 1:32 AM.

1. peterjack

peterjack Newly Registered

I'm now trying very hard to understand WHY I put up with IE and spyware and trojans for so long

2. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

IE was the default browser in Windows, so it is not very surprising if everyone started off with IE.
    I started using Firefox in 2006. Before that, I was also using Internet Explorer.

IE 6.0 was my favourite, until Firefox was introduced to me and the concept of tabbed browsing felt very helpful. IE 7.0 had tabs, but it was buggy (in my memory anyway). Plus for reasons, Internet Explorer seemed to be a consistent standard-breaker, so it really fell out of favour as I continue to learn about web development.

3. Jord9622

Jord9622 Site Supporter 2014 Site Benefactor

Welcome aboard! :) FireFox is the BEST!

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Well Known Member

Firefox has gone to shit from what it was like a long time back. I moved to Opera as a result when I finally gave up on it
    It might respect my freedom, but it's changed since then. It demands too much memory, it's getting too slow even on good machines, recent administration ruining nice things on it (AD BLOCKING). The list can go on.

I remember when I moved from IE to Firefox back in 2005. It was fantastic. Since then I learned what I missed out on, what I benefited from, what I lost on the move (virtually nothing) and much more. I never liked chrome, even though Opera is basically chrome.

Eventually you may see the same stuff I did, but whether you'll go to a different browser I can't say.

Syclopse and frogz2007 like this.
  5. piratebox

piratebox Spirited Member

I use Midori and Waterfox

6. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

This will be unpopular but I've been using Chrome for a little bit now.

frogz2007 likes this.
  7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

Disagree, firefox went to shit years ago. Chrome is the new king.

Still better than IE though.

8. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Firefox has always been far too resource heavy for my liking.. Chrome is a bit better at managing that.

frogz2007 likes this.
  9. Denryu

Denryu マスコット

I think Firefox is the best.
    I've even heard people call Chrome the new IE, apparently it really sucks if you're a web developer.

stayhye likes this.
  10. miloxydia

miloxydia Rising Member

I used to use Chrome, but then I got an SSD and it started acting up because of it.
    Swapped over to Sleipnir and I've been using that for almost 2 years now.

11. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

2017 and some people get emotional because of internet browsers hehe
    some of them draw an ugly cartoon of the "hated" browser in an attempt to make it look worse for others...

well, I've noticed difference only in weak computers. IE is heavy. IE is a breeze in a fast computer and makes no difference to another browser.
    Opera doesn't work with some stuff claiming is chromium based and need whatever steps to configure so yeah, IE and firefox are the ones that work better overall.

stayhye likes this.
  12. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Shit, it's been so long I've seen one of these threads I half expected Netscape to be mentioned somewhere.

Chrome on big computers, Opera on my shitty old micro laptop. Chrome is a pig but whatever, it works fine enough otherwise.

PixelButts likes this.
  13. Diablodin

Diablodin Rapidly Rising Member

I use Chrome now, FireFox before that, which was nice because it kept track of a million tabs when you closed it. So if you're doing mapping work or research it is excellent.
    But on my current, pretty crap but functional laptop I used IE for years, no prob. I don't get the hate really...

14. PixelButts

PixelButts Well Known Member

It's time to let go
    Capture.PNG

speedyink likes this.
  15. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

16. TriState294

TriState294 Site supporter 2016

Netscape 9 (circa 07-08) was just Firefox 2.0 rebranded by AOL. It wasn't still based on the Netscape Navigator 4x suite that gave birth to the Mozilla Application Suite/Seamonkey.

17. Syclopse

Syclopse .

I've always found it funny when people would load their modules, add-ons, search bars etc and then blame IE for their overloaded spyware infested problems surfing. I'll only use ". . . Open with Internet Explorer" when the site would need activex or java that Edge cannot and should not open. And then I'll always have Mozilla and Opera on older VMs, I use them all I guess.

stayhye likes this.
  18. piratebox

piratebox Spirited Member

If you like firefox but hate how heavy it is on your system try Waterfox man.

stayhye likes this.
  19. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

What about EDGE?!?!

Syclopse likes this.
  20. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

Same thing here. I was using Firefox before, but a lot of things went wrong and now Chrome does everything right. Sometimes I open up Edge! lol There is no such thing as "browser fidelity", I use whatever is convenient.