Disaster Report & Raw Danger Fix project

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by emuler, Jul 25, 2014.

1. emuler

emuler Rapidly Rising Member

Greats news for Disaster Report lovers: as you may heard, Granzella (game studio formed after Irem closing doors) has acquired Zettai Zetsumei rights... so we hopefully see more releases soon! If you consider yourself a true fan, please buy their products in order to make them grow like the cactus in their official website:
    http://www.granzella.co.jp/
    http://granzellagames.com/
    Thanks to Disaster Report 3 translation team for the info. Maybe finally Summer Memories will see the light... and Steambot Chronicles 2 anyone?

!!! UPDATE: See end of post!!!

Just announcing the WIP "localization fix" of this two PS2 gems. Will be released here at assembler; so if you're a fan, keep tuned.
    Why to do this? Here's the project's origin and motivation: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?52579-Help-with-DAT-file

In one hand, we got the Zettai Zetsumei Toshi (NTSC-J) english translation. There's a considerably big amount of files to translate (about 70) but the game doesn't really have much text, actually.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

In the other side, I introduce you my therapy for relaxing from "translating headaches": Raw Danger (NTSC-U) texture mod. Notice there's a LOT of face textures... some for cutscenes, others for gameplay and even unused or leftovers. So let's take this mod the easy way. I remember the promise of showing unused content: I will, but I'm too busy at this moment to get to it. Thanks for understand.
    zzt1.jpg

I'm focusing on respect the original texture design for main cast, but being more imaginative with npcs. No more clones with moustache.
    mwaiter.jpg major.jpg taxi.jpg
    Hope you like the new Master Waiter, Major Tanabe and Akira Tsuge face skins...

Expect
    japanese voice acting, english text, new & unseen intro (hidden in ntsc-j disc),
    original characters/places names and modded textures for main cast and npcs
    (ntsc-j original textures with some details added).

A very important addition:
    Irem closed just the next month to 2011 Japan Earthquake, it's widely known that the catastrophe took them personally.
    I think everyone with a heart an a soul take this in a personal way...
    it's clearly one of those things that makes the world to abruptly awake, become one if you like.
    So and fearing not being cheesy, I call this my personal tribute to Irem and specially Japan.
    Not "Director's Cut", "Enhanced Version" or such labels: This is not my work.
    This is Kazuma Kujo, Maki D. and a lot of hard-workers creation. I'm just an unemployed guy with too much free time
    (and a kind of obsession with this saga, I agree).

Special thanks to: pool7, krat0s, SILENT_Pavel and Luigi Auriemma for make it happen.

!!! UPDATE: 21/03/2015

Finally, for anyone who expected it, here it is: Raw Danger UNDUB patch. Tested & working on real PS2 hardware. No crashes in none of the scenes, just a little glitch on Sophia's hair transparencies I couldn't managed to solve due the texture restrictions (but this glitch isn't very obvious).

Added:
    - Japanese voices.
    - Original characters textures.
    - Kanji signs, newspapers, media, etc.
    - Some items textures are changed to their alternate japan version (the Columbia Sports backpack, whistle and compass).
    - Original title screen.

However I didn't added any censored, beta, or custom content. This include my fancy texture mod, wich gone wrong in some points with npc's skins stored in different levels files, so scrapped the skin mod in the name of concordance between characters look. Anyways, the original japanese textures are alright and look better than the US/PAL releases.
    The last bad new is about characters, places names. They still all the same; I'm done with the texture/audio mod and this game script is a lot bigger than his predecessor, please understand. If anyone is interested, I got most of the japanese names gathered (cast and places).

This is a xdelta patch, for use with Raw Danger (SLUS-21501). For OpenPS2Loader usb boot, store the iso in DVD folder and defragment.

LINKS:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!WxNR3S4J!LoazqbXha-8-sTiLMGCUtFauZkZT8Ai5mlpP0ibrcVs
    https://mega.co.nz/#!29cRzZxD!AcOvJOzJj4q61Law5CGvbV43Ywivk0hlRkaaWgHuQsk

If anyone want to post this patch anywhere, just go for it but remember: patch uploads are legal but pre-patched ISOS are not.

Disaster Report UNDUB patch incoming and this time everything is back to original, included names (thanks to it reduced cast). Only need a hardcore testing from beginning to end for release soon.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  2. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Really looking forward to this, I loved the original 'Disaster Report' - and I only recently discovered there was a sequel.

Good luck!

3. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

Agree with Arnold. One of favorite games is disaster report, hope to see this continue. Still never played Raw Danger.

4. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

If you didn't also find out. There is a 3rd game which came out on psp.

Sad we never got 4. It was looking amazing. I hope one day a alpha gets out on that game.

5. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

awesome, keep us updated on the progress, can't wait to play the final versions!

6. emuler

Thank you all for the kind words. Don't worry about keepin' updated, i will. A friend of mine who is proffesional translator has offered to revise the final script for a more accurate translation (correcting some english grammar mistakes I have), so greetings to her precious help.
    I've been adviced to put this thread of Files Download forum. I posted it here because I recognize being a little anxious to show the progress, but any mod who read this feel free to move it, please. If not's possible moving the thread now, i'll put the future patches there and relink here.

Good fate to you all!

7. SILENT_Pavel

SILENT_Pavel Gutsy Member

8. emuler

Raw Danger UNDUB patch released. Check first post for download links.

9. gladiator5

gladiator5 Robust Member

Nice man

Will try the undub version when I got some free time left :)

10. rso

rso Gone. See y'all elsewhere, maybe.

Which version of xdelta did you create the patch with? I tried 1.1.4 (legacy) and 3.0.6 (latest stable one my distro has) and both failed ("bad magic number" and "not a VCDIFF input: XD3_INVALID_INPUT", respectively).

edit: nevermind, 3.0.8 accepts the patch (but rejects my disc image...).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  11. IsometricMode

IsometricMode Rapidly Rising Member

Great work!

12. emuler

Thanks a lot for your comments. If anyone has some troubles patching, I used xdeltaUI 1.1 and original iso size was 1,50 GB (1.620.541.440 bytes).
    OpenLoader will not launch it if you installed the game with usbutil, just make the DVD folder thing and defragment (very important).

13. rso

I can't for the life of me create (or even find online) an image that the patch applies cleanly to. Not sure if I'm being stupid or what... Guess I'm giving up for the moment. Did any one of you guys get it to work?

emuler: The version of some GUI frontend you used isn't really important, what matters is the version of xdelta itself. For anyone having problems, as mentioned earlier, you need at least xdelta 3.0.8. If you grab some "xdeltaUI" package that comes with an earlier one, grab the latest xdelta exe and replace the one from the package.

14. emuler

Sorry, my mistake about the xdelta version. I couldn't find it in command-line (it only says "xdelta 3" but that's all).
    I tried once more and, with xdeltaUI: grabbed a clean Raw Danger (SLUS-21501) iso as source, selected the same patch I've uploaded and created a new iso.
    The window says "Not responding" but after a short while it's succesfuly apply the patch without error.
    Hope this help...

15. rso

What's the hash of your source image? Mine's 41c1090e1a77ae05173d5f3fe6a9374423fa2f25 (sha1), or bd7f5530c33ae2b792c5faa4868b1124 (md5). Seems to be the most common one out there, at least I got that exact same image from three independent sources.

If we have the same image, would you mind uploading the tool you used since in that case the patch apparently isn't portable between versions? thanks.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  16. emuler

Mine is a507a640f8c561611c4924d20cb7c53145794eb5 (sha1)/c41879294b5854b61613151e15d8205b (md5)

the tool I used to create/apply patch:
    View attachment xdeltaUI.7z

Please, let us know as soon you get it working.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  17. rso

Well, time to think about how to get a hold of that one.

Oh and just for the record, the xdeltaUI I grabbed from romhacking.net (and the one you just uploaded, too) comes with xdelta 3.0u (from waaay back in 2008). Weird how the much more recent 3.0.6 rejects the patch, and 3.0.8 is okay with it once more... but nevermind.

edit: Finally got the patching done without giving me errors (have yet to run the game though so no guarantees). If your image has a sha1 of 41c1090e1a77ae05173d5f3fe6a9374423fa2f25, use the attached patch to get the correct file that the undub patch expects to be applied to.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  18. Racast

Racast Newly Registered

Thank you very much for undub, I loved this series of games.

19. emuler

Has someone actually tried the patch already? I don't see any problem reports here since rso kindly did, so I don't know if there's no problem or lack of interest.

20. Racast

Racast Newly Registered

I found only one bug until now: in Amber chapter in this area rain sound not working. I tested on emulator, but it's not emulation fault, because original iso don't have that bug.
    And can you do something with Sophia's hair or it's too difficult to fix?
    Thanks again, hope to see Disaster Report undub sometime too.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015