Dinosaur Planet N64

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by rcmadiax, Jul 9, 2013.

1. rcmadiax

rcmadiax Spirited Member

Does anyone know if any promotional material related to RARE's Dinosaur Planet for the N64 ever got released. Posters, T-Shirts, Pens, Lanyards, VHS, etc. It would be cool to get something with at least the logo on it.

2. xdaniel

xdaniel Robust Member

A German gaming magazine (the Total! maybe?) presumably made their own poster, with the game's logo and some of the common concept art, back in the day, which came free with one of the mag's issues. Nothing "official", I'm guessing. Had it on my bedroom wall at my mom's place until I moved out and should still have it somewhere, but I don't know where exactly.

3. Bangulo

Bangulo Newly Registered

i found this photo online dscn0015f8k3z.jpg

4. rcmadiax

rcmadiax Spirited Member

Is this a fake? Or was the game that close to release that there may be some of these floating around?

5. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

Could be a mock-up of the cover. Just like mock boxes promoting games well before their release (or in some cases games that never would be released) it was fairly common to make mock guide covers for, say, magazine promotions and preorders.

6. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

It looks low resolution, meaning it was probably an image on another document, not a guide itself.

7. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

It looks like the picture was taken from a magazine because of the seemingless transition in the bottom right corner and since the resolution is pretty low, it was probably cropped quite a bit. Maybe someone should check their entire Nintendo Power-collection from that era to find it? :p

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh <B>Site Supporter 2014</B><BR><B>Whole Month Spons

9. A.J. Ross

A.J. Ross Active Member

I'm with Zoinkity, I think it's a mock-up. If not, it's fan-made. No way a guide in any form exists for Dinosaur Planet, it didn't get far enough along into development before switching IPs.

10. Faded

Faded <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

It might not exactly be what you are looking for but stumbled across this in my favorites:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVBRJToVDY

EDIT: As for promotional items, I can't recall if any were ever released in the form of merchandise. I know there is also some VHS Rips on YouTube, but I don't know if they'd necessarily be of any use.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  11. A.J. Ross

A.J. Ross Active Member

Thanks for the video, I hadn't seen it before.

12. IOnEI Falcon

IOnEI Falcon Site Supporter 2015

There was an E3 goodie bag back in the day that sold on ebay for $500 or so that had a Dinosaur Planet puzzle in it. No idea what it looks like sadly. Whoever bought it though knows!

13. Gaudy

Gaudy Member

This image is real, is a preview of possible cover on Nintendo E3 2000 magazine. I requested to Gilgamesh who uploaded the image.

14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh <B>Site Supporter 2014</B><BR><B>Whole Month Spons

Hi

I have explained on other forums. I took this photo from an advertisement, to be supplied with Nintendo Power at the time of E3.
    The game is almost fully developed, not surprising that the guide is ready before its official release.

15. CoinCollector

CoinCollector Spirited Member

*Calling all experienced N64 hacker people*

They've been taking apart the SFA E3 disc over at jul, and the last few days they've been looking at the possibility of the entire 64 game being on there! But it looks like they need some help from someone more familiar with N64 tech.

16. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

sounds like a pretty ambitious undertaking

17. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Can't imagine the likelihood of the whole game being on there, I'm still lost how they're sure all the files they see correspond to the N64 version and not the GC version, but then again I know nothing about this stuff :p

We had a N64 dev here before from what I remember. Was it subbie? Or some guy named marshall, my memory is fuzzy. I remember they were making a racing game engine.

18. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

from what I could gather they're matching some of the compressed textures they've found with textures that can be seen in that extended play preview footage, how they plan to manage to take raw files and make a workable playable copy of the rom though beats me

19. i2a2n2

i2a2n2 Active Member

Well actually I have a potential sales estimates/ marketing book/ near complete storyline write out/ character history For Dinosaur Planet
    GEDC0159.JPG GEDC0158.JPG

It also has the same picture from that guide of the secondary character Sabre on a marketing or mock up paper. its says copyright 27 January 2000 Rare

I really haven't read to deep into it but it seems to be a near complete storyline with highlights and mark outs from where someone has made adjustments

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    Zoinkity likes this.
  20. the dude

the dude LEBOWSKI

wow, that's pretty interesting! care to scan or take pictures of it? that would be awesome.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013