Dinosaur Planet: Myth or Magic?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by CrackNTag, Sep 7, 2009.

1. CrackNTag

CrackNTag Rising Member

Surprised this hasn't gotten out there.

Dinosaur Planet (AKA, Starfox Adventures for the N64) was scheduled to release, and hell, there were a lot of screenshots, footage, etc.

What I wanna know is: Where the hell did the ROM go? It looks like a complete build of SF:A, just dumbed down graphics.

I'll continue looking for the answers.
    ~CrackNTag

2. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Both Nintendo and Rare are notoriously tight with their beta code.

Dinosaur Planet was shown.
    Dinosaur Planet was reworked into SF:A on the GCN with character swaps.

No, the DP ROM has not been leaked to the net.

-hl718

3. CrackNTag

CrackNTag Rising Member

Wonder if someone at Nintendo or Rare has the balls to dump it.

4. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Why would someone risk their job for such a thing?

A few fleeting minutes of internet fame to please a bunch of teenage geeks looking for free stuff versus steady employment with a top company?

To get any betas from someone like Nintendo or Rare would require quite a bit of cold, hard cash and a good amount of luck.

-hl718

5. DeckardBR

DeckardBR Fiery Member

Now that Rare is owned by Microsoft and is supposadly working on Project Natal, I think it is interesting that the nintendo era roms are still locked up tight or some random employee hasn't gotten ahold of them.

I wonder where, in any game company, archived roms like this are kept? I bet they exist on a tape backup somewhere that only the main IT people have access too. The rest of the employees probably could care less as they're worried only about current projects etc. Same with management, who wouldn't want it leaked anyway.

6. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

That isn't necessarily the case all the time. See Star Fox 2.

7. CrackNTag

CrackNTag Rising Member

He has a point. StarFox 2 was leaked, I don't know how or by who, but it was.

8. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Star Fox 2 wasn't by rare though.

9. CrackNTag

CrackNTag Rising Member

Even so, someone must have access to it that is stupid enough to dump it. I'd like to find out who and pay him for it.

10. Yakumo

Very early Star Fox 2 dumps were out there before the game was even have meant to have been released. Quite a few members here are too young to have been in the "scene" back in the early 90's but those who aren't and were really in to the SNES scene will know about it. There were 3 dumps with the smallest being 8MBit and the largest being 16Mbit. None would work because there was no SFX2 emulation back then or anyway to know how the chip worked. But you could read through the hex of the rom to find information to see it was legit.

It's rumored that the dumps came from ETCS in Europe but how true that is I don't know.

Yakumo

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  11. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

There is no SFX2 chip. The Super FX has a few different versions with minor differences but all operate with the same instruction set. The reason the trade show type demo roms wouldn't work or would work very poorly was because of incomplete or inaccurate SuperFX emulation. There was no reason they couldn't have been emulated fully sooner. Just no one bothered to work on it. It's hard to get someone to put alot of effort into getting a few tech demos to work.

The most complete dump that randomly appeared wasn't emulated very well at first but because the game was basically complete there was more push to improve emulation so people could play the game. It's unlikely we'll ever really know how the dump got out, but it's not like it leaked from Nintendo. The Star Fox games weren't made at Nintendo. It was Argonaut Games. Probably some employee from there leaked the game.

12. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

I know who leaked the near final Star Fox 2 prototype. I won't say anything more than that, but I know he leaked it because he wanted the game to work in zsnes. I also know that it wasn't "dumped" off a cartridge or EPROM, it was just a raw compiled binary.

Rare also had several unreleased SNES games. I know for a fact that Killer Instinct 2 was complete. They also were quite a ways through Goldeneye, but it was scrapped in favour of an N64 version. Some people have contacted former employees who worked at Free Radical, but none had copies of those games.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  13. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

KI2 I could believe maybe but Goldeneye? That's just silly. I have heard before that Star Fox 2 wasn't "dumped" but that someone just assembled the final version of the code or got ahold of that binary. But it still stands that we will never really know how leaked it unless Nintendo catches them and sues their ass or something.

14. AberAber

AberAber Rising Member

Pretty sure GoldenEye is just a rumor and not true. Don't think ever Rare coded anything for SNES

15. Ryusui

Ryusui Spirited Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_fx

According to Wikipedia, the only differences between the Super FX and the Super FX 2 are a higher clock speed (which the original Super FX could've achieved anyway) and more addressing space. Functionally, though, it's just like you said: the exact same chip. Huh.

16. DeckardBR

DeckardBR Fiery Member

So basically rom dumps existed on the internet even when the snes and its games were being sold in stores? Thats amazing. Would you then take the rom dumps and copy them to a special cart that the snes could read the roms off of? I noticed you mentioned emulation, did you mean that snes emulation was attempted on windows pcs that far back?

Just curious. I think I got into emulation in the mid 90s around the playstation era doing a random internet search for Atari games and found Mame.

17. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Google "cartridge copier" and "SNES."

Basically they were pirate units out of China which would dump NES/SNES/Genesis/etc. games to floppy disk. You could then load the games from floppy into a RAM adapter (similar in concept to how the FDS worked) and run them on your system.

-hl718

18. Yakumo

As hl718 said. You could get ROMS before the games were even released. I remember getting R-Type III in September with the following years date on the title screen because that's when it would be first released. Beta versions of games were very common if you were in the know. PC emulators for SNES backthen were very poor. They couldn't even run F-Zero in a small box at the correct frame rate. Then again PC's back then were very expensive and also very poor compared to what we have now.

Yakumo

19. hrahn

hrahn Robust Member

oh my god. This thread just revived some memories of dialing modems, mailboxes with "internal" areas and too many nights hoping that the long-distance-fees would go unnoticed on out parents phone bills :D

Funny though, how many people learned to code at that time, or just to read program code just because they wanted to fix some annoying things in the badly written (cobbled together would be a fitting description, too) software we had to use for certain tasks.

It all got kinda "mainstream" with the Playstation, though.
    Although the Z64 was quite widely distributed.

And yes, emulation was a pain in the arse. We were quite amazed, if a C64 emulator ran at full speed, or if an early amiga emulator even showed the title screen of a game in color!

20. Ryusui

Ryusui Spirited Member

For me, it's dial-up, AOL and whatever information I could dig up about Rare's ill-fated projects through their Channels. If this and Twelve Tales were ever "finished" by any standard, then I want to play them both. T_T