Differences Between the Famicom 8N and Powerpak?

Discussion in 'Everdrive N8' started by Tempest_2084, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Tempest_2084

Tempest_2084 Spirited Member

Differences Between the Famicom Everdrive and Powerpak?

What are the general differences between the Famicom Everdrive 8N and the Powerpak? Do they support different games or does one have better support? For example, I think I read somewhere that the Powerpak can't do double sided FDS games, but the Everdrive can. To the best of my knowledge the Powerpak has pretty good support minus a few odd mappers (Castlevania III comes to mind), but the interface is fugly and I find it hard to update without breaking things.

Tempest

P.S. Woot! First post! ;)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. Tricky

Tricky Robust Member

http://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-n8/mappers.png

http://www.retrousb.com/images/mappers1.png
    http://www.retrousb.com/images/mappers2.png

That's a comparison of mapper support currently. EDN8 seems to be better than the provided mapper files for PowerPak, but I know that a few people released third party mapper files that work with it, which retrousb's picture doesn't account for.

Also, pretty sure Krikzz has said that EDN8 works on the few clone systems he tested it on, while PowerPak is advertised as not working with clone systems.

3. staylor

staylor Rapidly Rising Member

Dammit you beat me to first post. Well im not really sure about the diffrences right now. I did notice that the N8 supports more mappers but not the one for castlevania 3. But the creator of the powerpak is making a powerpak II so it sould be cool to see how that turns out. Good time to own a nes.

Scott

4. Tricky

Tricky Robust Member

MMC5 being the Castlevania 3 mapper.

5. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Actually, Castlevania III does work on the PowerPAK now. The official supported mapper picture/grid hasn't been updated in awhile.

The PowerPAK supports just about every mapper except those used by chinese pirate cartridges. It supports, NROM, CNROM, MMC1, UxROM, MMC2, MMC4, MMC3, MMC5 (enough to run CV3 atleast), Konami VRC2, 4, and 6 with expansion sound, FDS with expansion sound, I think it has Namco 106, unsure if it has expansion sound, Sunsoft 5B with expansion sound I think, and those are pretty much all the main mappers. Well I forgot GNROM and AxROM which are both supported too. It's mainly pirate mappers like JY90 that aren't currently supported. But the PowerPAK pretty much plays almost all licensed games. The only ones that might have trouble are MMC5 games that might rely on features not implemented yet.

The PowerPAK supports FDS, you'd have to name a game that actually is more than one disk, I've never heard of them and I can bet you whatever it is isn't worth playing. FDS support in the PowerPAK is good. It is definitely true that the PowerPAK doesn't work on most clone systems.

The "interface" isn't fugly, you need to understand it is NES. You can't have some super pretty GUI while you scroll through a list of games exactly. Also it isn't hard to update anything on the PowerPAK. One thing that the EverDrive might do that PowerPAK does, but KRIKzz would have to tell us, alphabetical sorting of folders. The PowerPAK does no sorting. Another thing is PowerPAK uses Compact Flash (CF) and ED uses SD.

6. Tempest_2084

Tempest_2084 Spirited Member

Good to know, I honestly haven't check on it in a long time. :)

I meant that it doesn't support disk flipping (insert side B). Or at least that is what I heard, I might be wrong on that.

Ok fugly was the wrong word. I guess I should have said 'spartan' or 'utilitarian'. I understand that the NES doesn't have the horsepower for a flashy interface, but I still think it could have been a little better. Just my .02.

7. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

ED SNES and ED Genesis aren't much better looking. For maximum flashiness, use something like SD2SNES with the model 2 SNES modded to accept RGB SCART.

8. staylor

staylor Rapidly Rising Member

Super cool and ultra flashy update for the snes powerpak. At nesdev in the snesdev forum. I hooked it up and its amazing. And you can customize colors and images on it.

firmware-200beta2_2.png

9. MottZilla

It supports automatic disk flipping. However in rare cases where you may not want the disk side to switch right away (only example I know of is Legend of Zelda's title screen) you can hold select to prevent the disk from flipping.

Again, I don't see what you expect to be better on the part of the interface. You can't make a pretty picture or anything while browsing a file list. And there is virtually nothing else to do other than pick a game and run it. As noted, the SNES PowerPAK has gotten a nice software update recently, but that's SNES. You can make a very pretty interface with that.

10. SkinnyV

SkinnyV Rapidly Rising Member

The thing about that nice menu upgrade for the snes powerpak is that it has nothing to do with bunnyboy, it was entirely made by Ramsis. Which bring me to my number 1 reason to switch to krikkz product for my nes gaming, support. The only reason the NES Powerpak got such good mapper compatibility and support is because of Loopy and TheFox. Without their own mapper pack, we would be stuck with bunnyboy old mapper support from god know when. He keep advertising on his website that mmc5 would be possible but you never see him try. He seem content to release something and then desert it when cash is flowing. So for me, I prefer switching to the everdrive N8 for support reason. That and the automatic SRAM backup to SD without holding reset. It's a small thing but I sometime forget to do it lol. Oh and I also found retrozone customer service to be really lacking and from what I've heard I'm not the only one. Krikks is always on forum reading customer comments/issue and even replying to them directly, which is also a huge plus imo.

11. Goemon

Goemon AG Member since 2005!

Why is that MMC5 mapper so problematic?

12. SkinnyV

Well Loopy got a good portion of it working, I seem to be able to play Castlevania 3 properly using his preliminary mmc5 mapper.

13. MottZilla

The MMC5 is probably the most complex/advanced NES Memory Mapper Chip ever made. Rightfully so as it was the last one ever made. While most memory mappers simple manage chunks of memory in simple ways and maybe provide a scanline counter for raster effects, the MMC5 does much more. It has configurable memory bank sizes in more than just 2 possibly configs unlike pretty much any other mapper. It has graphics features that take advantage of the chip spying on the PPU bus such as a split screen effect, an extra name table, expanding background attribute tables, allowing for a full 8K of memory available for sprite fetches with a seperate 4K available for background fetches, a scanline counter that has no sprite fetching limitations, support for 64K of on board work ram. Probably other things that aren't on the tip of my mind. The point is the mapper has alot of features, and is pretty technical to implement. I don't know if Loopy ever mentioned what was and wasn't done in his implementation. Usually you just hear, it's complete enough to run Castlevania III. I've never heard how well it runs Esper Dream 2 or that other RPG.

Anyway, it should just be clear that the PowerPAK is not a poor product. Now the new Famicom EverDrive I'm sure will be excellent. I have the EverDrive MD, Turbo ED, and EverDrive 64 and they are all wonderful. I've never really heard anything bad about any of the EverDrive products.

Pros are it's supported by KRIKzz, it uses SD rather than CF, it's available directly for Famicom unlike PowerPAK, it may work on clones unlike PowerPAK. I'd be interested in it myself but I'm going to wait atleast for a NES PCB version.

14. SkinnyV

I agree 100% with Mottzilla. The powerpak is great and as of now the only thing the everdrive can do that the powerpak can't is the automatic SRAM backup. Other than that the powerpak is a bit supperior as of now because of Loopy and TheFox mappers pack. I do not see anything (even in the future) really that the Everdrive 8N could do that the Powerpak really couldn't pull off beside clone compatibility (not important at all for me), Famicom form factor and USB support for developer. I am buying it strictly for Krikkz after sale support and update which is an area where Retrozone are really lacking. Plus, with Krikkz, you never know what will be added in a future update.

15. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

PowerPak maker is busy working on the NES PowerPak II, btw. Cannot compare the two devices as Krikzz's work is not done.

16. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Not saying it won't come out, but wasn't he also hard at work on the PowerPak64? Whatever happened to that?

17. MottZilla

I don't believe that was ever true. The guy that is RetroZone, has stated that NES is his real passion. While he did do the PowerPAK for SNES which was the first modern Flash Cart for SNES (first to use removable memory cards) he never really seemed interested in going beyond that, N64 or Sega.

18. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Ahh, yeah that's just what I heard.

19. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

he is also the one working on a hdmi nes. he will sell them as premodded top-loader NES.