DFO on a 7002 PAL console, is it possible to install?

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by kultsi, Jun 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kultsi

kultsi Member

I have a PAL SCPH-7002 console and I was wondering if it is possible to install a DFO in it. It uses different DAC than the one on the tutorial so I was wondering, is it possible to get the same signal from the older DAC or some other place. Help would be much appreciated!

2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

It should work - I think the signal that's being picked up from the DAC is the PAL/NTSC select line, so you could just take the signal from pin 157 on the GPU - or use that as a reference to see which pin on the DAC/Encoder it's wired to.

One thing you should be aware of is that from the SCPH-700x onwards the color subcarrier comes directly from the original clock synth, so even if you switch the GPU clock over to the correct one and select NTSC mode, the composite and Y/C outputs from the console won't be fully standard NTSC - you will get the correct 60/1.001Hz frame rate and NTSC color encoding, but with a 4.43MHz PAL spec subcarrier. If you are connecting via RGB, then you can just ignore this.

radorn and kultsi like this.
  3. kultsi

kultsi Member

Hi, thanks for the answer. Now I just need the GPU pinout so I won't connect the injecting signal to wrong line, any place to get this?

4. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

As far as I know, there is no schematic or service manual for the SCPH-700x series available - but the GPU is the same as the one in the SCPH-900x series, which is available - for example here: https://gamesx.com/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=schematics:service_manual_scph_9000_3rd_ed.pdf

The signals you need are NTSC/PAL select (NTPL, pin 157), the NTSC reference clock (VCKN-A, pin 192) and the PAL reference clock (VCKP-A, pin 196). Another option in this case is to hardwire the external oscillator to always run in NTSC mode, connect it to the VCKN-A pin and leave the existing clock synth on the VCKP-A pin for PAL mode.

Taijigamer2 likes this.