Devkit video

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 Development (4,Pro)' started by gamecubecat, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Foss

Foss Member

How do you get your hands on one of these dev kits now...haven’t been active since 2010 in the dev community... was interested in starting up again.

2. Roc6d

Roc6d Spirited Member

3. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Shouldn't you be keeping a lot of distance from these things? I recall a post where you owned a devkit and got arrested and iirc your life was quite messed up because of it? You even warned people not to mess with these things.

4. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

He posted that in 2015, a couple years before his incident (which was unrelated to him owning devkits, it was related to a to-be-released game). This thread was necrobumped.

5. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

My bad, and my apologies.

Pixel's story has really left an impression on me when he described what had happened and how it messed up his life for a long while. I think some people aren't really aware of the dangers of owning a dev-kit. I still recall that technically they all belong to the manufacturer and can't legally be sold on (although many are)

6. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I've made mistakes
    Ultimately the law in your country and the willingess a company has to pursue you is what matters. Sure you can get stuff but depending on what it is you might really get your ass handed to you.

And yes you're correct they are property of the company that made them, who has loaned them to the developers who make the games. Sony owns all the dev hardware, but they also know that not all the time can it come back to them so they allow resale of them to other licensed developers and/or scrapping with e-waste in an authorized capacity if they are too costly to send back (bankruptcy for example)

My advice is just wait it out. Even if you got them they're a real monkey's paw and might be more unpleasant than you were anticipating.