Devkit Conversion - Serial USB Adapter

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by xbox7887, Apr 11, 2019.

1. xbox7887

xbox7887 Member

This might interest those that want to turn their retail/debug Xbox into a fully-functioning development kit (optional 128 MB RAM upgrade and XDK software required to be truly indistinguishable apart from the Raptor card which is useless) without having to spend $500+ on one. It works on any version 1.0 through 1.2 motherboard and can be great for troubleshooting crashes of all kinds.

Everything is fully open-source to do what you please with. Any questions, feel free to ask.

https://github.com/XboxDev/serial-usb-adapter

_XBOX_, Traace, Conte Zero and 4 others like this.
  2. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

Thanks for making it open source.
    I seem to remember from the discord that you tested it with a modchip, but I can't remember what the outcome was of those tests.
    So, is it possible to connect it together with a modchip on the LPC bus?
    Would you be able to sell some pcb's (with or without some of the components?) The LPC chip for instance is difficult to find.

3. xbox7887

xbox7887 Member

I briefly tested compatibility with an Aladdin XT clone and Xenium ICE but both generate their own LFRAME signal (which differ slightly when I scoped them) instead of using the Xbox's so I'd assume that's why it didn't work. I next have to test if the SuperIO chip can just use the LFRAME signal the modchip generates, although it's possible the generation code doesn't support some of the commands that the SuperIO chip uses. I suspect it would work with a cheapmod however. Long-term I'd like to expand on this design to include a flash and CPLD with a wireless chip for development capabilities however.

I can confirm https://www.ebay.com/itm/190485674214 is a great source for cheap (they'll take $2 per chip offers iirc) SuperIO chips currently. If you're in the US I can mail you some blank PCBs on the cheap in an envelope as they cost me somewhere around $0.15 a piece for the REV A ones I printed and I have spares.

4. Conte Zero

Conte Zero Rapidly Rising Member

The original dev board has places for ps2 keyboard and mouse and for an extra bios chip (probably). Did you try some of those extra features? Maybe there is support for them in the dev kit.

5. xbox7887

xbox7887 Member

Not yet, but that's why I implied a cheapmod might work. I used CodeASM's images of the serial board for reference and now have my own devkit to poke at if needed. I've got some chips attached to breakout boards for testing other features like KB/M in the future.

Conte Zero likes this.