Details About Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by sammyrms1, Apr 16, 2019.

1. sammyrms1

sammyrms1 Rapidly Rising Member

2. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Same old Sony.
    Slightly faster than the PS4. Same uncomfortable controller.

3. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Same controller as the PS4? The article doesn't say anything about the controller at all.

Logi26 likes this.
  4. VaNDAL

VaNDAL Rising Member

I hope they use the same or worse HDMI ports. Will be sad to see that cash cow go.

5. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Just a guess. The basic form factor for sony controllers has been the same since the dual shock - 22 years ago.

Syclopse likes this.
  6. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

The DS4 is pretty significantly different from any of Sony’s previous controllers. Have you used one?

7. Syclopse

Syclopse .

They need to shock the world and offer two base controllers, swap the left stick with the dpad on one of the models.

8. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

No. I find the button layout uncomfortable.
    It looks exactly the same as every other Sony controller. When you compare to Nintendo controllers from gen to gen, Sony's controllers clearly lack evolution. There's no amount of LEDs that can make a Dual Shock anything special.

9. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

It's not exactly the same, though. The entire shape of the controller is different from the DS3 or any of the previous controllers. It also feels different and has a new kind of texture (tiny dots) that no other controller has. It's more obvious when you're holding it in your hands than looking at it in pictures.

10. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Fair enough. Might be worth giving tracking down a PS4 to give it a try.

11. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I can't guarantee you'll like it, but personally I think it's pretty good, and definitely an improvement over the DS3. My one complaint about it is that the d-pad isn't great, although it's slightly better than Sony's other controllers.

12. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Thanks to a little detective work on the part of the ever-reliable APISAK and Digital Foundry connecting a few stray dots, we now have a pretty good idea of what processor is going to be powering Sony's next generation platform:

While the figures don't sound very impressive when looked at from a PC gaming perspective, a dedicated console won't have to deal with a fraction of the overheads, plus developers can make full use of its set clock speed, coding to the metal a lot more than is otherwise possible. However, will 10 teraFLOPS really offer that much of a generational leap over the PS4 Pro, and is that "ray tracing" mentioned by Mark Cerny a software or hardware solution?

13. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

The recent censorship controversy has tanked my interest.
    If I even get one depends on if Sega keeps Yakuza Console exclusive to Playstation or not.
    Yakuza is pretty much what's kept me on Playstation.

IF they allow creative freedom and not pretend the ESRB doesn't do enough then the upgrade could be something special. But who knows what Microsoft is cooking up.
    Phil Spencer is spending a lot of time in Japan these days.........

14. sammyrms1

sammyrms1 Rapidly Rising Member

15. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

It sounds pretty cool to me. I really enjoy my PS4, and it seems like the PS5 is similar but better in pretty significant ways. I think backwards compatibility is a nice feature, though maybe not critical; it seems like an obvious choice, since the architecture is very similar. I’m glad that they’re not going with digital-only, too.

Speaking of Sony, I’d really like to know when the Last of Us Part II is coming out. They’ve been rather quiet about it lately. I’m guessing they’re going to make an announcement about that soon, but no telling exactly when.

16. jetmagnum

jetmagnum Magnum Inc

My guess is it will probably be a ps5 launch title.

17. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

What makes you say that? The PS5 probably isn’t coming out until next year at the earliest, and most people are predicting Part II will come out this year. They could be wrong, obviously.

18. jetmagnum

jetmagnum Magnum Inc

Cause it would sell more units for the ps5 and the game being a launch exclusive would be a way to sell more copies if it’s only playable on the ps5.