Demo Game Kiosks

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Roc6d, Nov 26, 2018.

?

Have u played a game kiosk lately?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. What is a game kiosk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No all my local stores removed them

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Roc6d

Roc6d Spirited Member

It seems like more and more game kiosks are disappearing in stores now. All i see is tv displays playing videos.I guess this might be the last generation for game kiosks?

Have the kiosks disappeared in your area and why you think it happened?

Lets chat about this because in my area most are gone unless its a nintendo product or extremely outdated or broken.

2. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

Like you said, it's mostly Nintendo now. The reason is probably multifaceted. There's the upkeep aspect of a physical display unit. Special software has to be created for it and distributed as either (or both) digital and physical medias. From being run 24/7, components fail, so there's costs in addition to the initial cost of the unit. Probably the biggest reason is the move away from retail shopping. With so many now buying their games online (as either physical copies or digital downloads), fewer people are discovering games in-store. While they're online, it's easier / more convenient for those consumers to download a demo and test it from the comfort of their own homes. It's also easier for game developers to keep their demos up-to-date and free of any embarrassing issues that might linger on a physical kiosk.

Roc6d likes this.
  3. dizzzy

dizzzy Spirited Member

I've heard that PS4 and XBox One stopped producing Kiosk discs a couple years back. I haven't actually been inside of a game store for years, so I have no idea if this is true or not, but all the PS4/XBox One kiosk discs that have popped up on ebay are dated a couple years back.

4. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Robust Member

Adam Koralik presented a PS4 kiosk demo for Shenmue 1&2, so I guess a rare few games are still in production for advertisement purposes.

5. Durandal

Durandal Rapidly Rising Member

The last time I played on a kiosk was maybe 2 or so years ago, Yodobashi Kamera in Akihabara had Wii U and PS Vita ones.

6. jonwil

jonwil Robust Member

My guess is that a video display running ads takes up less space in a store than a full-on kiosk.