Dee Dee Planet

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by unheard78, Mar 19, 2013.

1. unheard78

unheard78 Active Member

Don't get me wrong Segafreak, I'm not under the impression that they should just give it away, that would be ridiculous, though I'm genuinely baffled how much money can be poured into development only to have the game wind-up in an archive somewhere. I'm talking about the idea of publishers making limited runs of games like this more frequently. With all the people making repro carts and such, you know there'd be a market, especially for limited edition items, and if the game proved popular enough they could publish it on another platform.

As for collectors that ask for big money to release games, that always kills me. I'm not attacking anyone, but I come from an audio-trading background where bootleggers, specifically those only out to make a profit, are despised by the community. That said, if someone wants to sell off something from their personal collection and can make big money, go for it, it's yours! But I'm generally baffled when you see big money being spent to have something ripped and posted everywhere but the original item remains in the owner's hands. It's not like they owned the copyright and that's a big deal these days. I've shared things publicly when I had permission but kept quiet on the permission of those who requested it when necessary. That said, I've traded exceptionally rare things for exceptionally rare things, but I've never paid for any of my collection.

By the way, I don't speak Japanese so I can't read this but I thought others might be interested in looking at this too. I think this is the official Dori Dock website, or maybe a post-script site for them. If anyone who can reads Japanese sees this, a little explanation would be greatly appreciated! http://www.mold.org/dd/mono/doridock/index.html

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 Dauntless Member

umm if you have any people that might still owe you a favor at sega that would be great if you could pull some strings

im assumeing you eather helped code the game or are the author who signed away most of your rights to sega so they could use it as a first party title

3. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

I thought aab was referring to someone setting up a petition of some sort - that's how I read it.

4. dark

dark Dauntless Member

It says they made the story, concept, and game characters for Dee Dee Planet. So maybe they were more in the role of creative consultants than game developers literally coding the game on a katana dev box?

5. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

If my understanding isn't correct then someone please correct me, but I always thought that Dori Dock was the company responsible for only the concept and design of Dee Dee Planet, while Sega handled the actual programming (not to mention publishing - had this project been released, of course). I'd never actually seen that website before until now, and considering the fact it shows characters that look similar to those of this cancelled Dreamcast title outside the game environment, my guess is that perhaps it featured licensed assets created/owned by the company in question...

6. sumone

sumone Spirited Member

7. unheard78

unheard78 Active Member

Thanks for the details Sumone. Very interesting stuff. I wonder if Dori Dock, since we now know him as an individual, could be contacted easily? Perhaps he could share further details, if not a copy of the game altogether.

8. aab

aab <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Sorry angelwolf, I'm way less useful then you had thought. Arnold was right about what he read :)

9. unheard78

unheard78 Active Member

There's not much of a chance that anything would come of that, is there? I mean on Sega's part. I think I said this but I contacted Sega of America's office and asked for the PR department, to which they directed me to send an e-mail which everyone in the PR department would supposedly receive. The person I spoke with gave me the impression a response was almost a certainty, but it certainly hasn't occurred yet. I'd really love an idea of who else could be contacted about these sorts of things. Who would be able to shed further light. PR makes sense, but I'd imagine there could be issues preventing them from discussing the game, such as if they only retained rights to the Dreamcast version, or there are licensing issues. Anybody have some ideas?

10. unheard78

unheard78 Active Member

Just in case anyone's interested, I got a response from Sega, which is actually no response. They were very nice about it though and that's appreciated.

sega.PNG

11. Dreamcastnews

Dreamcastnews Gutsy Member

Damn it! Eidos sent a similar email to me when I asked about Soul Reaver 2 for Dreamcast....

12. Banjo

Banjo <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

You should have asked her out to lunch and then casually brought it up... "oh hey so you know there's probably loads of canned games lying around Sega HQ..."

13. unheard78

unheard78 Active Member

I'd have to live in California. That said, it's not discouraging, I know people have it and hopefully we'll get to play it someday. Myself, I know I'd be interested in purchasing a copy, especially if it was an actual internal burn or GD-Rom, but just playing it would be enough.

14. Adam_K

Adam_K Spirited Member

Personally I'd ask them about the Saturn build of Shenmue, but that's a fantasy.