DECHS (AV Testing) | Firmware Upgrade

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Patrick, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Patrick

Patrick Rising Member

Just got my hands on a PS3 Test DECHS system and I'm trying to update the firmware (currently its on 1.80). Unfortunately it's not possible, the PS3 don't recognize firmware on the USB drive. Another PS3 recognize the thumbdrive, so its not related to this. I read that you cannot upgrade the firmware on the DECHS system, can someone confirm this or has additional information?

The DECHS is identical to DECH from a hardware perspective, so the limitations is due to the firmware... I'm not familiar with the PS3 at all, so any help is appreciated :)

2. kyo86sg

kyo86sg Intrepid Member

This TEST system is only for BLU RAY Video testing and you want to it work it out as a full TEST Kit? To be honest, it is highly unlikely it will "unlock" and work accordingly. *as per the ebay seller mentioned, buy it as it is (not functioned as a game system)*

3. Patrick

Patrick Rising Member

True, but the hardware is identical to DEX system. The only difference is the installed firmware. Well, If I'm able to install D-REX, I'm fine with that ;)

4. Dizzy

Dizzy Member

If you ever decide to sell the unit I'm interested as I need one of these for my collection

5. Psycho

Psycho We've gone plaid!

You can update the firmware on it, but only with the same type of firmware (AV Testing Tool firmware). It's always locked to being an AV Test Tool only, if you are following normal FW upgrade paths...

I suspect you could hack it and re-flash it with a normal debug firmware as, like you said, I don't think the hardware is unique in any way... Not something I've ever tried tho. :)

As an AV Test tool, the only thing it will play is Blu-ray's burned to disc (it will not play retail Blu-rays at all). On the plus side, Cinavia is disabled on it, so it will even play copies of Sony movies. :)

You can also launch Blu-ray disc images on a computer over a network, but you need a special program running on the computer to make it work.

All of this is useful if you are developing Blu-ray discs, but for most people it's even less useful than a regular DEX.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015