DCHDMI

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by psydefx, Apr 4, 2018.

1. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Yeah! I contributed!

2. Tomleecee

Tomleecee Spirited Member

Uploaded a new full speed video here:

LuizNai and fafadou like this.
  3. Mobius_trip

Mobius_trip Rapidly Rising Member

I have a question, what is the pitch of the hdmi connector? i am for sure ordering one of these when they become available but i would like to do a no-cut install, and reroute the hdmi port to the stock AV port location with a 3d printed filler panel as i have a printer, possibly to use a mini/micro hdmi port to leave room for a small rgbs or hv plug as well, id like to use an fpc connector where youre putting the hdmi, but before i start designing id like to be sure about the pitch >.>

4. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Mini hdmi is .4mm.
    You will want to do a lot of experimenting. Passing 1080p over an FFC will likely cause problems with lots of data on the screen.

fafadou likes this.
  5. Mobius_trip

Mobius_trip Rapidly Rising Member

i planned on using one of the shielded (edit: just found out they apparently arent shielded) fpcs thats used for flat cabling hdmi on a quadcopter, i may also see if i can use the ends to jerry rig the fpc connector if i cant find the right one, but theyre all .5 fpc, so i cant just lift the hdmi connector and put an fpc one if its .4..... i guess ill need to do more thinking on it.... i have no gdrom drive, so i suppose i could mount everything above by flipping ribbon the other direction, then use a short M2F hdmi cable to get to the port on the back...

edit: since they arent going to just work, what will i have to be looking at worrying about in order to pull this off?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  6. Megapsychotron

Megapsychotron Newly Registered

Very intriguing mod. I have a Hanzo VGA box connected to an OSSC, but it can be a little unwieldy. This appears to be the most ideal form of getting the best picture from a DC onto an HDTV with minimal fuss. I'm not very good at soldering. How difficult will installing this mod be for a true novice? I've taken the DC apart plenty of times, so no problem there.

7. Marmotta

Marmotta Dauntless Member

It looks like it will possibly be slightly trickier to install than an Ultra HDMI. I honestly wouldn't recommend it if you're admittedly not very good at soldering, and instead find a local installer who can do it for you (or perhaps citrus3000psi might be selling some preinstalled?)

8. mikesierra85

mikesierra85 Newly Registered

I am also not a very big fan of cutting/drilling holes in the casing as I am sure I would mess it up and it would end up looking ugly, re-routing the HDMI socket to the DC AV out sound like an interesting idea if it can be done through a ribbon cable as mentioned or a M2F HDMI cable. I also don't have a GD-Rom in place, I have a GDEMU and the quality on these videos look fantastic compared to the various available VGA to HDMI conversion boxes.

fafadou likes this.
  9. MastaG

MastaG Rising Member

Same here, I can do the soldering with a steady hand a lots of patience.
    But then I need to cut/drill a hole in the case.. which I'm sure will end up looking butt-ugly.
    So I hope to find somebody who's willing to do that part for me :p

10. fafadou

fafadou Peppy Member

Maybe it's possible to put the hdmi output in an other side of the board ?... For those who don't want to cut the dreamcast case

11. Xerxes3rd

Xerxes3rd Rapidly Rising Member

I seem to recall citrus, chrisz, or Collingall designing a 3D-printable cutting guide/jig to assist in the drilling/cutting for a WiiHDMI or GC HDMI, so hopefully that will be the case here too (pun intended).

fafadou likes this.
  12. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

I designed them. And yes the DCHDMI has one and will be included in each kit. It allows you to precisely drill the needed holes. You still need to file, but really only just to square the the hole out. If you take your time and remove only a little bit of material at a time, you will not mess up.

https://i.imgur.com/wah4Yu7.jpg

MastaG, Xerxes3rd, Marmotta and 3 others like this.
  13. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

What is the likelihood of a 4K supported version in the near to distant future. Is this a reasonable possibility?

Ted.

14. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

What would be the point really? A 4k tv will support 720p and 1080p for sure, and the scaler ought to be decent for those format least...

15. Teddy Rogers

There is no reason to use line multiplication when upscaling from 240/480p would work perfectly fine to. Where would you draw the line of acceptable support. 4K is here and it will soon be the defacto resolution for years to come. If supporting and taking advantage of it is a possibility why not...

Ted.

16. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Because its going to need more powerful hardware, when the TV can just do it anyway.

17. Teddy Rogers

I can appreciate that, likely a more powerful FPGA and HDMI transmitter...

Ted.

18. chriz2600

chriz2600 Member

The main problem here is availability of 4K capable HDMI transmitters (SiI9616) without being a licensed HDMI adopter and/or price, which is roughly 7-8 times more expensive (e.g. ADV8005) than the one currently used (ADV7513). So, at the moment, there are no plans for a 4K version, maybe in a few years :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM