DC Dev unit scsi problem

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by f_bohmann, Feb 5, 2005.

1. f_bohmann

f_bohmann Rapidly Rising Member

hi!

i am trying to get my dc kit (some 5.x set) to work, but it wont show up on my scsi cards... i have tested multiple cards (adaptec 2940, dawicontrol and adaptec 1460 pcmcia). currently it is connected to a 2940 in my pc, and it wont show up, not even in the scsi adapter's boot sequence. i have connected it as it is supposed to be (connected to scsi-a, terminators on scsi-b and gd-port) ...

ideas anyone? i hope the kit's scsi interface is not fried... :smt009

2. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Once you have connected the dev unit to the pc via scsi, only switch ON the dev unit. Then wait for about half a minute and then switch ON your pc.

That works for me, but if I only leave a few seconds gap between switching them both ON it doesn't work for me either. So try that out.

3. f_bohmann

@kitt: i did some more research tonight...

i organized a second dc devkit to compare, and that one works, so basically it seems that my own kit's debug adapter is fried... this is very very bad. :smt022

i guess i'll have to find someone selling a broken kit to fix mine.

i'll see if gavroche still has some guts from his broken kit.

f

4. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

sorry to hear that! I'm having problems with my gd-rom drive and it looks like I'm gonna have to replace it ( luckily they are not as hard or expensive to find as to what u need!)

5. VitAmen

VitAmen Guest

@Bohmann,

I wonder if it is a matter of bad firmware...You could flash the firmware in those things so maybe the previous owner did sth wrong...Dunno if you could restore it though...

did you get the box for games or deving?

Cheers!

6. f_bohmann

vita: former owner said he had the thing connected and it worked, so either he had connected the hd only (thru the gd-port) or the thing was really working... i guess either me or the flight (took the kit in my baggage) messed things up. i bought it for devving, and it is not of any use for gaming either, because it is set to emulation mode, and obiously cant be set to gd-mode due to the broken interface. ;)

f

7. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

VitAmen may be on to something though - I remmeber when I had R9 firmware on mine it wouldn't work with the R10 SDK.

Maybe it worked for the previous owner because they were using the correct revision of the SDK, but you've got another revision installed ... hmmm

8. f_bohmann

legit: its not sdk related... the scsi part is not working .. the box does not even show up on the scsi controller, and if connected to a pcmcia scsi card, the card even refuses to initialize. there is definitvely something wrong with the debug adapter... i borrowed another kit on sunday, and that one worked on my computer...

f

9. manopac

manopac Spirited Member

it was one of mine, and I got it connected like the other one, I didn't try any development with that, only accessed it at a removeable media, not using the SDK ...

10. f_bohmann

@manopac and all: just to make this clear again: i am pretty convinced that either the flight or i myself killed the kit ... not that anybody mistakes this as some sort of hidden complaint against you or something... :)

f