DC Dev unit help

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by KIT786, Jan 23, 2005.

1. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Just got myself a dc dev unit, but can't get it to play normal retail games. Been trying various different settings/ combinations of dip switches and rotary switch, but haven't been successful :smt022

Any idea's what the correct settings are or where I can find more info on the dev unit would be greatly appreatiated.

Thanks guys (and gals) for your help!

2. manopac

manopac Spirited Member

Your dev-kit is most propably set to emulation mode, which can only be changed by connecting it to a PC via SCSI, and using GD-Workshop or DA-Checker (come with the SDK) to switch it ...

if you need more info, let me know !

3. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Thanks for the help, but will have to wait a few days to see if that works (still waiting for scsi card to come through post). Anyway will let you know if I was sucessful!

4. f_bohmann

f_bohmann Rapidly Rising Member

there is also another issue... some games do actually check for the devkit and refuse to run. at least that was the case when we were working on dc titles. i thing shenmue 1 does it.

f

5. Elgr

Elgr Guest

It shouldn't be too hard to find that check and hex edit it out if it just checks the console type. As I assume the check is in the standard libraries the devkit comes with.

6. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P

Come on guys you all have kits you can give him better help than that!!! :smt042

Q: Can you see the DC Menu or is the screen black?

A: If the screen is black, you'll need to use DA Check (or whatever prog floats your boat) via SCSI hookup

Q: Can you see the DC Menu but your games won't load?

A: Check the Dip. If I remember correctly, 1 is Japan, 4 is USA and 9 is PAL - are you using the right region game for the right setting?

Q: Are you using VGA?

A: Not all games support VGA and refuse to boot

Q: Can you see the DC Menu and there seems to be a disc in the cd player or game booting (with no disc inserted?)

A: Then there is an incomplete / unbootable GD Workshop project mounted on the virtual drive.

7. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

The DC menu does come up, and i am using the right switch (9 for pal games), but get error saying no game has been inserted.

I have at the moment only tried vga, but the games i've tried ( soul caliber, rez and couple of others) all support vga ( says on game case).

No cd is shown in the cd player menu.

Anyway will try some of the other switches for my ntsc games and also try different output cables.

Can't do anything about connecting to the pc yet as my scsi card has not yet arrived, but will tell you if I have any success.

thanks for your help:)

8. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Well I've tried using the composite connection instead of vga and still not working, getting the "Please insert game disc" message (same as before).

Even put in a music cd into the drive and the cd player did not detect it! Do you think something might be wrong with the gdrom drive? (have aslo got an external gd-writer but have tested that out as got no scsi cable)

Also could someone please explain emulation mode as that might help me understand the problem.

9. LeGIt

Emulation mode is when the DC is amulating a game off the hard drive, or not if the files are incomplete. You should be able to understand it anyway, but without a SCSI card you can't sort it out. Don't forget whatever SCSI card you got, you'll also need an EXTERNAL SCSI 2 cable (different connectors to internal) and if you went for the Adaptec 2940 like Sega reccomended you'll need an external 50 - 68 pin converter. Also, you'll need to install the latest Adaptec ASPI drivers regradless of whatever make of card you use.

10. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

I think I understand the emaulation mode by what you have said, the problem could be that the unit is set to emaulation mode but nothing has been mounted.

I have ordered the 2940UW and a 68-pin to 50-pin external adapter with it, but it only comes with an internal cable. is there another adapter that will allow me to use the internal cable instead of me having to buy an external cable?

I'm also guessing the Adaptec ASPI drivers will be on Adaptec's website right?

11. You need the external cable to connect the Dev Kit to the P.C. (The internal cable is of no use)

...I've just checked my Dev Kit which I'm running in PAL mode using all four dips 'down' and rotary switch set at number '9'

...Once you done this you can switch from emulation to retail mode using the DA check app, if necessary.

...Oh, and yes the latest ASPI drivers are freely available on the net.

12. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Well finally got all the hardware required. Installed the scsi card and that works, so I follow the "Getting Started" doc and everything goes fine, apart from not being able to see none of the 2 hard drives i should be able to see! (the scsi card utlitiy does show ID 3: CPL KATANA DA and ID 4: CPL GD-M, but in "My Computer no extra drives come up). So I go to the scsi utility program and that fixes the drive ( recovers something?) and now I can see 1 new drive ( has baseball and Shenmue in it).

However I still got the same problem, none of my games are working. I tried changing between two modes using GD Workshop (I clicked on the small button with 1 yellow circle and 1 grey circle), but still no luck. Any ideas on what to try next?

13. QATTY

QATTY Guest

your GD drive could well be up the shoot. It did happen quite alot,. It doesnt recognise that the tray is closed.

Can you play an audio cd? if so then at least your drive is working.

14. LeGIt

If you cna see the hard drive and the games on it there is no gaurantee they would ever boot. It's not as simple as loading up GD Workshop and the games magically work because there is a damned good chance they won't. The files on the HDD need to be arranged ina project on GD Workshop with the relevant tracks, there is always the chance that half the files needed to even boot them were on the original development PC.

15. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Well I tried an audio cd and still doesn't work, so I'm guessing you are right :smt022 is there a way I can fix this ( even if it does mean messing around with the insides of the dev unit!), I 've also got my old dc and that works fine so is it possiable for me to swap the gd-rom drives. But if you say that it doesn't recognise that the tray is closed that will proberly mean its a mechanical problem right?

I understand what you are saying Legit, but for the baseball game everything is layered like a gd-rom with all the tracks (1 to 4 have the warning.da file) and track 5 has a lot of files and folders and the 1st_read.bin, so that might work :)

16. QATTY

QATTY Guest

There is a switch insiide the drive mechanism which sticks, you can easily take it apart and have a look.. Just remenber where all of the screws go :)

17. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Think I might try that over the weekend!

18. KIT786

KIT786 Spirited Member

Ok took everything apart, and celotaped the black switch so that the dev kit will always think the gd-rom drive is closed (even when infact it is open). Then put evrything back together again (it was a lot harder and frustrating then taking it apart!), and then boot up the system and am still getting the sme problem, which in turn means I got a messed up gdrom drive right?

THis means I'm gonna have to replace the drive (luckly got a space dc I can use for that), or is it possiable there is something else that can be done ( I doubt it, but no harm in asking!)

I've also got a gd-writer drive, is it possiable for me to connect that up to the dev unit and use it as a replacement for my gd-rom drive, instead of putting a new gd-rom drive in?

Thanks!