Customer claims EverDrive-MD board connectors are oxidized

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by StoneAgeGamer, Apr 26, 2013.

1. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Ignore the idiot buyer and blacklist him. I don't know who those experts are but I bet they got computer repair degree out of cracker jack box.

50 people here said the customer is wrong. 50 people beats his 3 "experts" whose source isn't named for anyone to verify.

2. Dr.Wario

Dr.Wario Spirited Member

LoL, seems more like a April fools joke,
    He was just in time it's still April the 30th

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  3. omp

omp Familiar Face

So 3 maybe 4 people will never buy from you? Time to close the doors methinks....

4. Chewieshmoo

Chewieshmoo Spirited Member

Honestly I bet the guy by now is well aware he is in the wrong but he made such a fuss he is refusing to admit it. I would not be surprised if he is simply attempting to gain something for nothing. Stoney, you know you are right, we know you are right, screw that guy. Good you blocked his Email and be sure you never do business with this fool again, despite his threats I am sure you have more to lose dealing with him them you do banning him form your services. There are always going to be ignorant people out there sadly but don't let them fuck you over.

5. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Yes, that's exactly what happened. Maybe if he didn't jump the gun and wear the gold off he may have been a little more accepting, but by polishing the gold off he was all in 100%. Either way he looked like a fool at that point. Although if he would have just admitted he screwed up I would have at least had more respect for him. If I were him I would have just let it go, but he kept replying so that's why I blocked him. He went all in with a 2 of spades and 7 of diamonds and was riding it to the end and once he lost he refused to believe it. My guess is, based on the guy's personality I don't have to worry about losing too many of his friends as customers.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  6. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Like I said, ignore him.

7. hamburger

hamburger Spirited Member

As someone who spent 12hrs/day for a few months cleaning solder splashes on connectors and electroplating them with gold afterwards I find this especially hilarious.

8. Goemon

Goemon AG Member since 2005!

Well if it does it is mostly not visible like with iron or copper.
    And i think the oxide also acts as kind of protection like the copper patina.
    It just looks not so shiny anymore.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  9. smf

smf mamedev

http://positivesharing.com/2006/07/why-the-customer-is-always-right-results-in-bad-customer-service/

It's worthwhile being polite when the customer is wrong, even when they are being abusive. He obviously trusts the people who recommended that he cleaned the gold off, but it's such a niche market that they don't have peer review to show they are wrong.

The annoying thing is he expects it to look like an original game cartridge, but they were created to a lower standard.

Don't lose sleep about it, I doubt he knows anyone else that would actually buy one of your products.

10. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Actually I was polite at the the beginning, but honestly if a customer is being abusive for no good reason then I am sorry, they are done. Once I showed him he was in error (the whole time being polite) and he continued his abuse that's when I was done. Lets be honest, most likely he never asked anyone else's opinions. He only offered his 3 experts after he has already polished the gold off. It was just an attempt to counter my evidence. He told me from the beginning that he was "very knowledgeable in this type of stuff". Which obviously isn't true, he may think he is, but obviously he is not.

I am pretty sure he knows he is wrong and the reason I think this is because the last thing he wrote me that I read he told me my customer service was poor because I did not have knowledge of this specific aspect of a product I sold. This was his equivalent to "Well...so...uhh....you smell!" He is right I wasn't 100% sure, but I did look into it for him. I figured this is what good customer service does. Don't know answer to a customer question or issue. You look into it to give them a good answer.

In the end once I showed him the evidence I found I should have let him go and ignore his continued e-mails instead of responding negatively at all.

Oh well its over now. Thanks for link to article though, it was interesting read.

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Why do you need to know about the contacts on the cart connector to support your product?

How many electronics stores would have the first clue about the metal composition of the PCB in a TV?

12. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

In what universe isopropyl is a strong solvent?

Here we have a polish that can do this, it's called BRASSO, it's a liquid sandpapper and can damage things a lot.

I use 100% alcohol here all the time to clean cartridges and pcbs.

13. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Rising Member

I was thinking the same exact thing. Most stores have no clue about what they sell. That does not mean they are providing bad customer service. If this customer had a problem with the way the item was made he should contact Krikzz and leave SAG alone. Krikzz can then tear him a new one and tell him how dumb he is.

I'm not gonna complain to Walmart about my PS3 or Xbox.

14. madmax2069

madmax2069 Newly Registered

Wow, wtf dudes a idiot. He is confusing a matte gold finish as corrosion. Its sort of funny, now he is going to see what real corrosion looks like in time.

15. bennydiamond

bennydiamond Gutsy Member

I hope no ones ever offer him jewelry. What a pain he'll be then!

16. Evotistical

Evotistical Robust Member

Fine powdered gold cannot give off a luster, and therefore looks like it's black(same with nickle). Gold and impurities(such as nickle, silver or copper etc..) that are added for strength, malleability, or ductility; create a charge difference, and with the moisture in the air(additionally of which is slightly acidic), slowly they will oxidize the alloy. Whats left over is a semi-conductive black powder of oxidized metals. Conversely, if pure gold was used, it would just rub right off. It seems like a loose-loose situation, but the black dust actually protects the surface over time, creating an oxide barrier, which is why most Atari games still work, even ones that have been really abused.

The matte finish is probably due to the combination of plating an uneven surface, and a small amount of black oxide dust. none of which hurt performance.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  17. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

Welp, better shut up shop right now then. Retard dude's grandma isn't going to buy any more toys for him from you.

18. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

I never said it was, but it's what most people use to clean cartridges with, and as you showed even the strongest of the stuff wasn't about to do that.