Customer claims EverDrive-MD board connectors are oxidized

Discussion in 'Everdrive General' started by StoneAgeGamer, Apr 26, 2013.

1. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

I have had a customer complain that the EverDrive-MD board they received was oxidized and obviously not new, they may even be from this forum. I am not trying to call this person out, I actually just want answers. First I believe all newer EverDrives contacts are gold plated, to my knowledge gold doesn't oxidize. So he sends me a picture showing the oxidation. Now obviously the boards are tested quite a few times before they ship so the connectors have some marks from being inserted into the system, so the marks are not a surprise, but as for oxidation I didn't see it. So this is the first photo they send me:

The one of the left is the ED and the one on the right is a game he had trying to show me how much oxidation the ED had compared to the game.
    DSC_0222.jpg

I guess I am blind, but I am not seeing the oxidation on the EverDrive-MD. I tell him I don't see it, but I am not an expert on this stuff and tell him if he is not happy we can send a pre-paid return label and give him a full refund once we get the board back. He doesn't take this offer.

So then he says he removed the oxidation himself using metal polish and some elbow grease and sends me some before and after pictures and gives me a lecture on how I am misleading customers and that he is not happy. I have never seen contacts this shiny on anything personally and the amount a dirt or "oxidation" he claims he removed seems crazy to me. I tried myself with some DeoxIT on a board I have that looked exactly the same and could barely get any thing to show up on the cotton swab.
    DSC_00557.jpg
    DSC_0059.JPG

I have never had a customer complain about such things regarding EverDrives. All the boards we have look like the board he claims has oxidation. However I wanted some people's opinions that may be more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. So am I just crazy and is this person right? Or is this person wrong?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Of course if you polish something it will be shiny. You can polish a ball of crap too. The customer is wrong on this one. Im sure there is some dust and some minor whatever on these things, they aren't being made in dust free factories, they are being handled by real people. Put polishing something doesn't make it right either.

3. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

The so called dirty contacts look fine. What I want to know is what is on those qtips. The customer has no idea what he is talking about and likely shortened the life of his cart.

4. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

How I see it is that the ED cart has "matte" gold contact. The guy either polished it, or put some crap jewelry wax on it to make it shiny...

5. TPSNT

TPSNT Rapidly Rising Member

It looks like he used an abrasive polish. He polished away the gold layer and exposed the nickel underneath.

6. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

the Q tips look burned rather than dirty, i call bullshit but never know really,

7. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

The guy is a moron, he stripped the gold plating as well as some of the metal below, some people don't realize that they use gold on these. FYI Most metal powders are black, hence the black on the q-tip. Short story stupid buyer did stupid thing and then called you stupid. Tell him to go screw himself. BTW I have repaired oxidized connectors before, usually the oxidation is grey to charcoal black, very streaky length wise, often has white or blue-green powder or crust sticking to it. In short he probably knows he blew it which is why he won't send it back.

8. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Rising Member

WOW what an idiot!! Clearly to much time on his hands. You should NOT accept the board back for a refund as he damaged it.

9. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

I'm no expert and have had very little experience with cartridges, but I did happen to see oxidized connectors in a cartridge and the ones in the pictures above are nothing like it... they look in pretty good shape. I'm with Millionaire2k in that you shouldn't accept the board as return, as the customer tried to "repair" it on his own, which should void the warranty... but that's just a suggestion.

10. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

Brand fucking new games in the mega drive era weren't that shiny. This dude has taken the protective gold layer right off and left it with whatever metal they were using underneath which will quickly oxidize and stop working. This dude fucked himself because of his B/s hunch and then decided he was going to screw you out of money, I don't even know what the fuck he's used to clean the games because even 100% isopropyl wouldn't take gold off like that

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

As said above, customer has now removed the gold plating. Therefore an idiot.

12. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Whoever did this is an idiot. He buffed the gold clean off.

Please tell us who it is so we can ridicule them.

13. Millionaire2K

I 2nd this!! Sounds like fun!!

14. Goemon

Goemon AG Member since 2005!

Holy Shit, what an idiot!

15. Mack

Mack <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Dear God why would someone do this , makes no damn sense.

I have 4 different Ever drives and they all came in wonderful brand new condition. This guy is a joke.

He is more than likely trying to pull a fast one somehow ...

16. Millionaire2K

I don't see him trying to pull a fast one. I just think he's a damn idiot!!

17. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Thanks everyone for the response, it confirms what the thought all a long but I wanted to make sure. I don't think this person is a member here. At first I thought maybe he was trying to pull one over on me until he sent the pictures of the gold polished off the connector. At this time I realized that (if I was right) then he just didn't know what he was doing. I will not be accepting any returns on this item, he has voidedthe warranty by doing what he did.

18. Zombie250

Zombie250 <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Man, it's all stripped off. How the hell did he do that? Pumice polishing paste? I had to clean the expansion bay contacts on my Genesis because they were black with oxidation. After clean up they didn't look that shiny, just plain aluminum. Granted I used very fine model sand paper to get some of it off, but treated the rest with Deoxit.

19. Tokimemofan

Tokimemofan Dauntless Member

FYI some Genesis units have a surface coating on the expansion port, that coating is black, don't remove that coating. It is more common to see that on model 2s than on others.

20. Zombie250

Zombie250 <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Indeed, I do know about that coating. It seems that the previous owner did hit it with sand paper to try any clean it though. Mine was black and green. It's pretty clean now though, no more green.