Custom Turbo Everdrive Shell

Discussion in 'Turbo Everdrive' started by BuffaloWing, Oct 24, 2012.

1. duo_r

duo_r Active Member

Here is my latest label designed after SSS. I would eventually like a low profile one, buffalo does that version fit in a hi card case? I like that the label would be bigger.

I also have a case with the same theme designed to hold this.

I had had these professionally printed on sticker paper I have used for a previous Everdrive special edition N8 order and N64. If there is interest I could sell some of these for about $ 4.5 shipped within US (greater 48 states).

[​IMG]

2. BuffaloWing

BuffaloWing Robust Member

That looks pretty good! Did you paint the shell too? That white color looks creamier some how.

Low profile version is thinner than the one you currently have. It's about 3.15mm thick.

3. duo_r

duo_r Active Member

Yes I sanded and painted with white vinyl dye paint. Gave it a better finish. I think this looks more like a hucard, just need to get the PCB black somehow.

4. duo_r

duo_r Active Member

And screws that work with this also for low pro?

5. BuffaloWing

Low profile does not use screws (too thin to screw), just four mounting posts.

Actually, none of the shells I put up on Shapeways use screws anymore. Most people just don't want to deal with miniature screws. They are all "post" mount now.

As for black pcb... perhaps try spraying aerosol black PlastiDip. If it doesn't look good, you can always peel it off. I haven't try it, but it should work.

6. zaneiken

zaneiken Member

Any plans for a shell that will fit TED v2?

7. BuffaloWing

Yes I am redesigning a new shell for TED v2. But it will take some time, not including waiting for a test print which normally takes two weeks. So realistically, it probably will not be ready until sometime in mid July.

8. zaneiken

zaneiken Member

Good to hear you're working on one.

9. BuffaloWing

Instead of reworking my old designs and forcing them to fit the V2.2 PCB, I took a considerate amount of time and effort to build brand new models from scratch to accommodate the new layout. I prototype three designs. One is based on the aesthetic of the previous low profile design while the other two were inspired by the look of DUO and DUO-R.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My test prints arrived but Shapeways somehow messed up my order by printing two copies of the "DUO" inspired shells. How disappointing...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since Shapeways sent me two copies of the same model, I get to see the extreme variance in print quality. Notice one on the right has exteme stepping on the curved surface whereas the one on the right looks perfect.

[​IMG]

What's next? Write to Shapeways to inquire about my missing "DUO-R" shell, get a response on the the wild variance in print quality, and remove the "delta shaped" grip on my new low profile design. That design element did not print well at all.

10. manic23

manic23 Newly Registered

Really hope you get it sorted, I'm the person who posted on the Shapeways site, thought I'd come along here and keep an eye out for your redesigned shell. I was really impressed with the v1/1.2 shell, really looking forward to getting my hands on the redegigned v2.2 one, good luck with Shapeways.

11. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

I still need to finish this with touch up paint but it's close to what I wanted to get
    [​IMG]

Camera doesn't do the justice, I used neon orange and it is much brighter than it appears in the picture. I did it in USA TG-16 style, black with orange accents. It could have been better but I'm old and I don't quite have steady hand for precise painting.

12. BuffaloWing

Thank you for your support. I've updated that page to include links for the updated designs. I've made a minor tweak on the Low Profile version from previous post. The small ridges inside the delta marking are replaced by a simple delta impression because the ridges are too fine to be printed correctly.

The DUO-R version is not activated yet because Shapeways is in the process of reprinting the part for me and I'm not comfortable making that available until I get to see the result. Event though it's very similar to the DUO version, it's actually more curvier and rounded on some areas. They are very subtle and the difference may not be obvious to some people.

As for the stepping texture, it appears to be a print orientation issue. Basically Shapeways' response is that to keep price low, they can't always guarantee orientation. In order to maximize their capacity they have to fit the part where ever there's room for. There is not much I can do about that so in order to not mislead anyone about the print quality I will be putting a disclaimer in my description so anyone who is interested can decide for themselves whether taking the chance is worth it or not.

13. manic23

manic23 Newly Registered

Thanks for posting that the v2.2 is ready, I will be ordering this early next month when I get paid! By the way just a heads up for you, you may want to update your first post in this thread with the link for the new 2.2 shell.

14. fluxcore

fluxcore Spirited Member

Darn, was looking forward to the v2.2 shell, but the shipping doubles the price for me :/

15. zaneiken

zaneiken Member

That Duo-R shell design looks sexy. I hope the print turns out well.

16. manic23

manic23 Newly Registered

I got my 2.2 shell today and am very very happy indeed with it, fits so well just perfect. thank you BuffaloWing.

[​IMG]

17. BuffaloWing

I received my replacement DUO-R style print from Shapeways and I'm a bit disappointed that the stepping texture reared its ugly head again. So the odds of getting a smooth textured part is probably low (basing on 3 sample size). Comparing to the DUO style print the stepping is a little bit more uniform.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The technology clearly has the capability to produce a very nice looking part, but this inconsistency can be frustrating. Anyway, they are all available on Shapeways now.

18. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Are these for sale?

19. manic23

manic23 Newly Registered

Yes they are, read the first post

20. BlockABoots

BlockABoots Gutsy Member

Do these fit the Turbo ED v2.4 card?

Also anyone selling stickers for these?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015