Custom Turbo Everdrive Shell

Discussion in 'Turbo Everdrive' started by BuffaloWing, Oct 24, 2012.

1. BuffaloWing

BuffaloWing Robust Member

I can make this available as an alternative if this is what people want. Screw holes are replaced by "alignment posts". I won't be able to guarantee 100% friction fit since the print may have a tolerance of +/- 0.15mm. The posts are 1.9mm in diameter to ensure it will clear 2.0mm opening. Even if you can get a print that give you a tight fit, I can't say if the posts will not break off from initial fitting or accidental drop.

Shell_V3_REV-A.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

That's a tolerance I'm willing to bet on. I'm thinking that a bit of tolerance may help keep that peg in it's place without the need for glue. And according to Mqark, with the Micro SD card in the slot, the cover stays locked on.

I'd definitely go with the pegged one...after the holidays, unfortunately.

3. Mqark

Mqark Robust Member

Locked might be a bit strong - it stays in place, but I wouldn't want people thinking it's not going to move at all.

I can probably pick the PCE up and turn it upside down without the shell falling off. (But can't confirm this from here at work)

These posts would help a little. If it's an interference fit then that would be good - if it's the same diameter, then it will probably just keep the shell keyed in position but not firmly attached.

4. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Does the plastic allow for some flex? Cutting little bumps on the ends of the posts and removing the center plastic might allow it to compress enough to fit and lach on the other side.

Or alternatively, you can make the posts straight, but add clips on the sides of the case that hold the card like a snap-in case does for genesis games or something. It would have to be thin, but it might be possible.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  5. BuffaloWing

The SD card locking the shell is pure coincidence from the way the memory card overhang. It's not a reliable way to secure the shell. Remember tolerance only help here when it's +0.15 for interference fit as Mqark pointed out, not when it's -0.15. Also this is also assuming the holes between the post and the pcb hole are concentric. You many need to shave the posts a little if they aren't. That's why I want to emphasize that the posts should be treated more as "alignment" (although I really don't think it' necessary if someone intends to hot glue the shell) and less as fastening mechanism.

6. BuffaloWing

It's basically nylon, it will flex when it's thin and long. But the problem here is the holes on the PCB are 2mm, that not a lot to work with especially when the process requires 0.7mm min wall thickness. Also because the plastic is printed by layers, you get a stress risers everywhere which promote breakage when too much force is applied (which is the intention of wanting to pressure fitting the shell in the first place). There's a lot of good ideas out there by everyone, I don't mind experimenting and implement them for someone to try out but at the same time I hate to trouble people to spend the money only to be disappointed by the outcome. Sometime I wish I have a 3D printer on my desk so I could just knock one out just to test a idea out...

7. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Maybe you can make the legs have a hole at the tip, so that a rod, pin, or some kind of fastener can be inserted into the hole to secure it? Like a bobby pin or something.

8. BuffaloWing

I know what you are talking about. Same concept as retainer/clip commonly used on car door panels. While it's possible to model it on CAD, I'm not sure it would print well or last. On my prototype I had a slider that goes over the region switch; that was about 1mm thick and it didn't survive. Like I said earlier the holes are 2mm, realistically there are just not much real-estate to work with. Another option I can think of is to extend the posts about 1mm beyond the pcb and the end-user can use a soldering iron to melt/flatten the tip to "rivet" in.

9. 5432

5432 Rising Member

Nice Shell!! Great job. ¿It´s possible to buy it in a near future?

10. BuffaloWing

I did upload a version with "alignment posts" to Shapeway.com but I never provided a link here because I wasn't sure if that's what people wanted and I didn't want to create confusion with the original one that I have provided on post #43. So right now the screw-less version is more a conceptual discussion unless someone is willing to try it themselves.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  11. butfluffy

butfluffy Robust Member

i think i wil go with the non screw version myself. the main reason i ain't ordered a shell already is because i ain't had luck finding the screws. so the non screw version is available for purchase right now?

12. 5432

5432 Rising Member

Thanks, I saw the link for the order. I prefer the non screw v. I´ll be waiting for that kind of shell. Tell me when shell will ready.

13. seanami

seanami Rising Member

I will order when the non screw version goes up. Please post a link when you do.

14. BuffaloWing

Happy New Year guys!

I understand. I had that same problem eventhough I have a bunch of old electronics to salvage parts from. I found two that were perfect but I ended up using another three that were much larger and longer which I ended up grinding shorter only because I wanted three matching screw heads.

The link for the non-screw "Rev-A" version (shown on post #61) is http://shpws.me/mTv1. This will be provided as an experimental alternative to the original screw version which is still available. Please take into consideration of the concerns I had about the non-screw version form previous post before you order. I would test it out first myself if I could, but I already countersunk my board so I won't be have the same fitment for sure. My suggestion is if you do decide to try, don't force it in if it's too tight or slightly misaligned. Use a hobby knife to shave the excess plastic if there is any. Be careful as the nylon is a bit tricky to shave. And if all else fail, such as the posts snapped or total misalignment, cut all the post flush and glue the shell on as-is as last resort. And as always, please share your experience good or bad.

15. YAGRS

YAGRS Rising Member

I received the non-screw version today, and it fits the board perfectly; however, the pegs aren't thick enough to provide the necessary friction to keep the cover on if you were to pick the Turbo Everdrive up by it. After I dye mine (I bought the white version and I'm going to dye it black), I'll probably use a little hot glue to keep the cover in place.

I have to say that I'm very happy with it. It definitely looks better in my TG-16 than the exposed PCB.

16. BuffaloWing

YAGRS, Thanks for the feedback. Could you tell me whether all four pegs are loose or just a few. Perhaps you could take some pictures and post them here if you have a chance. I'd like to improve the fitment as much as possible.

17. YAGRS

YAGRS Rising Member

All of the posts are loose. I would take a pic, but I don't have a very good camera, and I doubt you would be able to tell much by it. To be honest, I like the posts being loose. Because they don't fit tightly, I'm not worried about them breaking off when I remove the cover, but they still keep the cover in the correct place when it is attached to the Turbo Everdrive. When I've finished dying the cover, I'll probably just put a dab of hot glue on each post and affix it that way.

18. BuffaloWing

So it's not wobbly loose right? I designed the pegs slightly undersize because from previous prints I noticed the parts are typically slightly over-sized. I had to account for this plus possible variations on PCB. I really didn't want anyone willing to test this version breaking the pegs on the first try. Thanks again for testing it out.

19. YAGRS

YAGRS Rising Member

No, it's not wobbly. The difference in size is a fraction of a millimeter—enough that there is not enough friction to pick up the Turbo Everdrive by the cover, but not enough that the cover moves far out of place.

Again, I like that the posts aren't tight, but maybe I'm in the minority in this.

20. MSP

MSP Member

Thanks BuffaloWing, can't wait to order mine. Has anybody got pics of the other colors? I want the blue or red; I think against the black TG16 those colors would really pop.