Custom Turbo Everdrive Shell

Discussion in 'Turbo Everdrive' started by BuffaloWing, Oct 24, 2012.

1. BuffaloWing

BuffaloWing Robust Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've created a shell for the Everdrive PCB using 3D printing process. It's not perfect. I had to make some modification on the print to make it fit. Consider this as a proof of concept. As you can see, the curvature turn out very jagged and the beveled edge are rather rough. The region switch slider is too fragile that it broke off after my first attempt at sliding it. I haven't mount the shell from the back yet. I still need to counter sink or bore the PCB and find some micro screws to attach it. The reset button is functional but very difficult to use. I'm going to try spraying some black vinyl dye to see how well it look.

CAD1.jpg CAD2.jpg CAD3.jpg IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0008.jpg

UPDATE: November 18, 2015
    ------------------------
    V2 Shell for TED V2.2 & V2.4 PCB http://shpws.me/J9sW

UPDATE: March 18, 2014
    ------------------------
    I get asked about where to get the shell all the time. The links are actually buried deep in the thread. To spare everyone the need to read through the entire thread here they are:

"Classic Style" http://shpws.me/q6MW
    "Super Low Profile Style" http://shpws.me/q6MX

There are currently two versions available. Both will fit PCB version 1.1 and 1.2. Future PCB versions may or may not fit, please be aware of this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

...wish I had a 3D printer too :D
    awesome!

3. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

[​IMG]

...no, seriously. I'd take one if you're selling it. LOL!

If not, I need a 3D printer for myself.

4. BuffaloWing

I wish I had a 3D printer at home too. I use one of the online printing service to make mine. It takes about 10 days and the shipping is kind of high unless you are printing a bunch at a time. This is still work in progress. I've seen rapid prototype parts in person for years but this is my first that I created. Needless to say I made some rookie blunders on my initial attempt. I'm still tinkering with the design on my computer. I know Stoneagegamer is working on his design in a different approach and I hope he succeed soon. I admire what he is doing for the community.

5. goombakid

He did have it pretty much done, but I guess it would only be available to new TED orders and not be offered as an aftermarket case.

But on the 3d printing thing...Group Buy ;)?

6. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

Thanks for kind words.

I actually considered 3D printer route, but I was not satisfied with current resolution plus many seemed very slow and I wasn't sure if it could keep up with me. It does appear that some higher resolution sub $3000 printers will be out next year, I may get one just for hobby. I went over so many options including vacuu-forming. In the end I found the cheapest and easiest was the the acrylic cut plastic. Not as cool looking as custom molded shell, but as you probably learned this PCB was not really designed for a shell in mind. KRIKzz added the holes at the last minute and to get it to hold on to the board requires me to modify the PCB. I am glad he did though, otherwise it would have been even harder. I bought a drill press just for this cart.

Click to enlarge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  7. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

We are not too keen on upgrading other re-sellers boards however in this case we may have a window where we allow it just because the TurboED is an exception to all the other EverDrives in the case there are no donor shells available. If we do it probably will only be for limited time window of a few weeks or a month.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  8. BuffaloWing

Some of the online printing service allow the designer set up shop on their site to sell to other. But like I mentioned earlier the shipping cost can be expensive relatively speaking. I want to do more iterative revisions but it's hard to justify the cost unless I bundle it with some thing else I want to have it printed.

9. BuffaloWing

My part is made with sintered nylon and I must say aside from my fail attempt of creating the "dome" top the resolution is quite acceptable. As for the holes, yes I wished it was placed further out (at least one). Also the reset button is quite a challenge to incorporate.

10. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

Looks exciting. I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to this sort of thing but maybe instead of the dome you could recess it a little and make a spot for a custom label? That would be awesome in my opinion.

Regardless great work hope you can get it perfected so I can order one eventually.

11. BuffaloWing

Thanks. I removed the "dome" feature on my CAD model. I thought the plastic might flex so I originally incorporated the dome to give it structural rigidity and complement the console's design cue. That also explain for the those small bosses (posts). The shell turn out quite strong that dome and the bosses aren't necessary at all.

I'll picked up a can of vinyl dye tonight and test it out.

12. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Very nice!!!

13. BuffaloWing

I did some light sanding on the edges and sprayed flat black vinyl dye on the shell tonight. It actually look much better in person. The enlarged photo really does not do justice. The plastic absorbs the dye like sponge. It should shouldn't a surprise as nylon is known to be easily dyed with fabric dye.

Here's how it look black on a TG16:

IMG_0018.jpg

Black doesn't really go well with CoreGrafx.

IMG_0024.jpg

I then sprayed charcoal gray over it. It match CoreGrafx much better.

IMG_0037.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  14. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

do want

15. goombakid

^What he said.

16. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

Wow it really does look amazing. keep it up!

17. BuffaloWing

I've tweaked the design over the last few days. Most of the work were done on the bottom to address fitment issue from the prototype. I'm planning to order a print on this model soon to verify the fitment. But first I need to finish another unrelated project so I can combine shipping to save development cost.

Shell_rev-A.jpg

18. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I'm watching this one.

19. goombakid

Rev. A looks nice. THAT one I'd go for.

Ever though of just leaving a notch there where the console select switch is? Otherwise, there should be no harm in just having it covered all the way, since the switch will be left at whatever type console we have. Just my two cents.

20. BuffaloWing

Thanks goombakid, I really appreciate the compliment. I'm not an Industrial Designer but I'm trying my best to come up with something that look somewhat interesting. I actually made more changes right before I send it off for another test print. It's now "REV-" because the first print was really a prototype and I made a mistake naming the last picture. Anyway here are some rendering...

TED_Shell_Top_Rev-.jpg
    TED_Shell_Bottom_Rev-.jpg

It's a bit taller now because I find micro screws are either really short or long. Given the fact the thickness of the PCB is fixed I have to make the shell taller. As for the region switch, I considered about the notch idea but given the amount of area available I don't think anyone's finger will be able to reach in to flick the slider. I thought about closing the opening to prevent dust getting in but I have both TG16 and Coregrafx and doing so I won't be able to switch. I finally settle with the opening, but I did added a wall underneath it to minimize the amount of dust getting in. The opening is big enough for someone to insert a toothpick or paper clip to switch.