Crank the Weasel

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Toon Swinger, Dec 2, 2015.

1. brians

brians Member

Oh, you bet we were civilized. Just look at the 3 bonus games we had planned: "Spank the Monkey", "Pound the Python" and "Choke the Chicken".
    True story.

MRKane05, Kao and speedyink like this.
  2. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Haha, proposed gameplay for these bonus games?

3. brians

brians Member

[nothing to see here]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. brians

brians Member

Basically, whack-a-mole where you literally choke chickens, pound pythons and spank monkey butts.
    There were other bonus ideas too...
    weasel bonus game 01.jpg
    weasel bonus game 02.jpg
    weasel bonus game 03.jpg
    weasel bonus game 04.jpg

MRKane05, Chagosan, Kao and 2 others like this.
  5. Toon Swinger

Toon Swinger The Eletro Swing player from 1936

Boy am I upset for being late to my own dang thread. :eek:Oh well. Anyways it's nice to see new updates and I thank the creators for taking their time to bother with showing us more of their content. And I would've definitely been all over that Crank Gameboy Color Game had it been released back then. :)

Also one question on the games music. I am a lover of Jazz and Big Band Swing from the 1920s to 1940s. How was the game's music made? Was it a live band or using software by a talented artists who could emulate 1920's bands?

Now for the embarrassing question. Does anyone know how to fix the framerate of the Crank game? I've downloaded the files and I can only get sub 12 frames per second despite setting the target FPS to 30. I'll try looking through the instructions again. :confused:

6. OCG

OCG Serbian Prinny

Try turning off Vsync in graphics card settings.

7. Toon Swinger

I'm running off of Intel. Never figured I could do that. :(

8. OCG

OCG Serbian Prinny

Are you using laptop or desktop? Can you post your full specs here? I will take a look at this.

9. Toon Swinger

Laptop.

It's not the most powerful. However, I have been able to play 6th console gen emulators as well as Steam games. But even with that said maybe my PC is just too weak at the moment. I'm running Intel which is integrated. Think the GPU and CPU are joined together.

How it happens is when there is a lot of assets playing on the screen the framerate will chug. I may just need a better PC.

Attached Files:

10. OCG

OCG Serbian Prinny

Did you try whats said here?
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005552/graphics-drivers.html

11. Toon Swinger

12. OCG

OCG Serbian Prinny

Good luck, I think it will work.

13. Toon Swinger

Sadly I couldn't get it to work. I'm starting to think my PC is just too weak. However, I am able to run games like Paladins Champions of the Realm at high settings. Not to throw any insults to Crank, but I don't think the game is more graphically intensive than a game from 2017 (unless there is something else at play that I'm not aware of).

Oh well I'll continue to look into this.

14. Toon Swinger

Not sure if you really care, but I was able to get it fixed and running at full speed. Turns out it was a DirectX related issue and not the graphics card. :eek:

15. looptranzit

looptranzit Spirited Member

What exactly was the DirectX issue?

16. Toon Swinger

For me I think it was just the fact that Weasel was running on a DirectX version that my Laptop wasn't able to run properly. I could open up the demo, but with the game's framerate would drop below to 3-12 FPS. I was able to get the issue solved by using a program that can run the demo using DirectX 8. My Laptop is using DirectX 12 (which I thought Direct X was backwards compatible, but I know now all that means is that it can run older DirectX programs, however, it doesn't mean it can run them all well without issue). The issue is now solved, but I am somewhat confused as something tells me you all have more up to date/better PCs yet didn't run into the issue I did. Guess I'm the odd man here.

17. looptranzit

looptranzit Spirited Member

Great. Glad everything worked out. I use dgVoodoo2 for the older games that need older DirectX support. The dev for dgVoodoo2, Dege, hangs over at Vogons.org and is cool about taking suggestions for getting older games working with his util. I can basically run 95% of my WIndows 98 games with that tool.

18. Toon Swinger

I remember using that a while back. Need t download and use it again. I just stopped using it ever since I decided to clean out my Laptop completely (I tend to do this from time to time).

Now what I'm currently trying to mess around with are the tools/assets that were linked. Not sure how to wrap my head around the tools as I don't have any directions to what certain things are or are referring to. Also I can find the level assets, but I don't see any character or animation assets. Any idea where they are? Or are they inside their respective level asset?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  19. Mattisafish

Mattisafish Member

@brians did anyone on the dev team have a perticular fondness for the PS1 wave racing game Hydro Thunder?
    I only ask because the hexidecimal code for the weasel.R2 file says "Hydro Thunder Rules" on the header text lol

20. Toon Swinger

@Eric Browning @brians Excuse me if I'm asking too many questions or questions you aren't sure on. But in the asset files are there also files for the character models as well as files that contain the games code? I wanna try my hand at the tools to see if I can get a build up and running. However, I'm only able to locate the geometry and textures for the levels.