Crank the Weasel

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Toon Swinger, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Toon Swinger

Toon Swinger The Eletro Swing player from 1936

Back in the early '00s Midway was developing a game called Crank the Weasel. From what some researching explained it is sort of like what would happen if you threw Conker's Bad Fur Day and a 1920's cartoon into a blender. The game was shown back at E3 2002 and was scheduled for release in 2003, but the game ended up getting cancelled sadly. Information can be found on various sites such as Unseen64, Interviews on game sites, and even a website that explains the designs for Crank the Weasel (it was on the game creator's site, but as of now the site seems to be down).

Here are some images of the game.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sadly no videos showing the game off, but If I do remember correctly there was a playable build shown behind closed doors at E3 of 2002/2003. The game was supposed to be a platformer that would release for the Xbox, Gamecube, and Playstation 2. I'll try to see if I can get around to getting the design documents for the game.

Edit! Oops how silly of me to forget to put in the interviews and impressions. Just in case some wanted a tad more info for the game.

An IGN impressions article.

Now as for why the game got cancelled. Here is some info from an old 1up article.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

I looked around for this one a few years back and had interviews lined up before they stopped responding. Was sad.

3. Toon Swinger

I'd be interested in reading those interviews.

4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

They stopped responding so there are none. Had phone calls setup and everything.

5. Toon Swinger

Oh goody! I was able to find these old images thanks to the Internet Archive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Toon Swinger

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hey at least you made an effort. That's still more than I ever achieved. Kinda curious as to why they stopped responding. Hmm..

7. Toon Swinger

... Hang on I made a mistake. For some reason the images came out small. I'll fix this later.

8. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Those documents are great. I was also pretty excited for this game then once I saw it was cancelled I was pretty bummed. Glad you were able to dig some stuff up.

9. Toon Swinger

Yeah I wish the game got released. I'm usually interested in them cartoony/wacky games that take on a style and/or tone that you wouldn't expect it to (which is why games like Conker's Bad Fur Day is memorable to people.)

Anyways here are the documents that explain the design/concepts for the game. Prepare yourself for some major reading.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The game was cancelled, but these design documents gives you plenty to read. And by the time you're finished with these you would've known pretty much everything there is to know about what was completed so far such as the plot, walkthrough, mechanics, items, enemies, HUD, controls, locations, characters etc.

Now I just wish a demo for this games was leaked. It was shown to be playable at E3 back in 2002 or 2003 which means a prototype MIGHT exist out there (there is also a possibility that Midway trashed the game and got rid of everything relating to it). But hey I don't expect anything to turn up anytime soon.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  10. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Recheck the images in your last spoiler, all but 1 are broken.

lolzvid likes this.
  11. Toon Swinger

Odd they seem to be working for me. Alright I'll try fixing them.

Edit. Alright I just got done changing the links and re uploading the images. Try to see if you can now view them. Anymore issues just let me know.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  12. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Works for me now.

All of it is fantastic content. I showed this thread to some of my friends that draw things (as a profession) and they're bummed it never saw the light of day.

13. Toon Swinger

Hey it's always nice to see more people who would've taken interest in the game. I can see myself enjoying Crank the Weasel if it was released. How I hate when a game get a cancellation.

14. Toon Swinger

15. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Are those more screenshots leaked from various sources or is there something you're not telling us yet...

16. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

17. Toon Swinger

Heh, they're just from various sources.

18. Toon Swinger

Hey nice job with the pics. Some of the images such as the level maps I already uploaded (I placed them in spoilers to prevent the post from being too big), but great job on getting them 3D model pics. Same with the design documents. I already had them uploaded, but again thanks for contributing.

Also for those of you who may not know who Jason Gregory is. Here's some info on him.

And as mentioned before Brian Silva a creator for Crank the Weasel. The documents and images were from his website (but again the website seems to be down, but I managed to download stuff a while before the site went down. Although wayback machine can still allow you access his site.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  19. Toon Swinger

Quote from Jason Gregory as to why Crank failed.

Guess due to not having that core game mechanic to make the game appealing to gamers the game just wasn't making the progress it needed.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  20. Eric Browning

Eric Browning Active Member

Just came across this thread- if anyone is still alive I'll answer any question you have about this project. I was the lead artist on it, I know stuff. I also *have* stuff.

Catmato, RichardX, wombat and 2 others like this.