Could someone make a tutorial???

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by wmarcio, Nov 11, 2010.

1. wmarcio

wmarcio Member

On how to install and use the JTAG cable to upgrade the OS and FIRMWARE cartridges, for Sega MD e Nintendo SNES.
    Bought this item on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280506472755 (indication of KRIKzz) and I am in doubt how to use.
    The tutorial could have the following topics:

1 - Programs and hardware used, where to download and install.
    2 - How to weld and connect the pins to the PCB and the JTAG.
    3 - How to upgrade firmware and OS.
    4 - Open space for doubts.

Thanks guys!

2. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

You do NOT want to solder the JTAG on to the board. All you need to do is hold it on while it flashes the firmware.

3. StoneAgeGamer

4. DC_Lov

DC_Lov Rising Member

For some reason that installer gave me an error at 99% , but the program appeared to run just fine after that. I sure hope this won't cause problems later on.

By the way , is it suppose to use like 10 GBs of hdd space?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. StoneAgeGamer

First time I downloaded mine did not work right either, I had to re-download. Which sucks for a 2.7GB file.

6. wmarcio

wmarcio Member

Thanks!
    I'll start the download then in case of doubt write here, but I like to solder the JTAG pins, there is a problem with that??

7. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

no problems, but you can't close a cart shell if connector will be soldered

8. StoneAgeGamer

Won't be able to close cart shell like Krikzz said unless you make some major modifications. Honestly though there's really no point to do this and I personally think it would be a huge waste of time. (just my my opinion of course)

Also if you aren't using a shell I would highly suggest using one. I have heard many bad stories from people who don't. Accidentally popping chips off pulling board out of Genesis.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  9. DC_Lov

DC_Lov Rising Member

Yeah , as stoneagegamer said , using nake shell is kinda dangerous. The dust flips some time yank with everdrive PCB. It will be a chore just to get the cart out unless you find something to blockout the dust cover.

You can modify the case to fit JTAG , but it looks ugly.

10. RetroRepair

RetroRepair Guest

I don't see anything wrong with using a dremmel to cut a hole n the back and soldering in the pins for JTAG on the back instead making sure to rewire your cable. If done right it'll look fine.

If you are holding bare wires to holes you have a decent chance of not getting a proper flash. If you slip you can short something and kill your cart too. I'm surprised you recommend that.

11. wmarcio

wmarcio Member

Thanks for the tips!
    But I prefer to solder and modify with a dremmel a direct connector in the case of a Mega Drive game, as the friend said, this is probably only fitting adapter JTAG pins, may occur in the update crashes and I end up losing all the equipment.

I'll wait for the two cartridges to come after make changes, post pictures here as I live in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil, I believe I should receive the cartridges in about 30 days.

One more thanks!
    PS. Look this, just i want: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200397941732&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  12. StoneAgeGamer

I never said there was anything wrong with it. I said it was a waste of time in my opinion (notice the my opinion part).

Secondly the creator of the product doesn't seem to have a problem flashing it without soldering so why should I? I have flashed quite a few carts and never had a single issue.

13. RetroRepair

RetroRepair Guest

Difference is you are selling these and asking people to touch wires to vias. You may well have had a high success rate doing this but it's poor practice and potentially damaging to the hardware.

14. StoneAgeGamer

Yes, because telling the customer to solder things on to their EverDrive is much safer. I'm done with this argument. I gave my opinion and you do not agree. I am not sure why it even bothers you.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  15. analogmonkey

analogmonkey Member

If you don't want top touch it when its on can't you just use a bit of masking tape to hold it on?

16. RetroRepair

RetroRepair Guest

It bothers me because you clearly know nothing about what you are doing and since you sell the item (and apparently offer support for it) it's a bit concerning.

It seems to have bothered you far more than it did me though, since you have perpetuated the now argument, not me.

And yes, if it's a toss up between touching wires and soldering I'd recommend the latter and if the customer didn't feel comfortable about it I'd just advise against it. But hey, that's only 20 years of electronics experience talking.

Don't you offer a JTAG service for it anyway in voucher form? That way if you break it it's on your head??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2010
  17. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

RetroRepair why do you thinking that chip will be damaged if jtag connector will be touched by fingers? You are mistaken. Hundreds times I updated the firmware by this method.

18. RetroRepair

RetroRepair Guest

Because if you slip you could easily short to ground and kill the entire board which I'm sure would not be replaced by stoneagegamer and you can understand that??

You have to understand, if you post this on a forum, people then think they can do it no matter what and if they screw up, they will blame whoever told them to do it. Stoneage gamer and now you.

I don't get how I'm the bad guy for pointing this out???

19. DC_Lov

DC_Lov Rising Member

Just to make sure , if something goes wrong during firmware update process , let's say....blank screen.

It can always be fixed by re-flashing right?

20. StoneAgeGamer

Yes you can just reflash.