Converting Xbox 360 Phat power brick to Slim

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by johnace, Oct 7, 2013.

1. johnace

johnace Grumpy Old Man

My slim power brick finally gave up on me during a heavy session of GTA 5 and afterwards would randomly shut down my console after around ten minutes of play :(

Seeing as I don't have the patience to wait for a new one to arrive I decided to work with what i DO have, a spare phat power brick (203w) many tools and soldering skills.
    [​IMG]

Firstly I cut both cables in half and prepped both the cables for soldering.
    SLIM CABLE
    [​IMG]

PHAT PSU
    [​IMG]

Now you may notice that the phat psu has double the 12v wires (yellow) and double the ground wires (black) this doesnt pose a problem as you just solder two wires (phat) to the single wire (slim) then it's just a simple case of joining colour to colour except for the grey wire from the slim connector...this isn't needed.

[​IMG]

Plugged in and got steady orange so no soldering failure xD
    [​IMG]

Alive and well!
    [​IMG]

Ive been playing with this frankenbrick for a few days now and I'm enjoying the silent non-humming brick, any questions feel free to ask.

2. bennydiamond

bennydiamond Gutsy Member

Good hack when you really want to fix your PSU right away. But for a cleaner look, if you can wait (I know it's hard when GTA Online just started!), you can always use one of these:
    [​IMG]

About 3$ on eBay.

3. johnace

johnace Grumpy Old Man

I saw those but I thought seeing as I have four 203w power bricks and not one single Phat xbox anymore what harm could it do to just use one for my experiment xD...and it didn't even cost me $3 lol.

4. Banjo

Banjo <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Nice hack :)

5. turfster

turfster i grow grass

Very Nice.I have a box of phat power supplies I can do this with now..Awesome...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  6. johnace

johnace Grumpy Old Man

Glad to help with making surplus phat power bricks have some use again :)