Convert GDI to ISO

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by gorgyrip, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Peppy Member

Also I can probably dig up and old version of custom version of nulldc I did, takes an lba file dump and shows file access as it happens.

2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Yeah, CT is a very simple game from a structure perspective.

It'd be interesting for Armada, both shrunk and untouched for comparison.

3. Zarper

Zarper Member

If the reason for the non-recognized games not working was the shrinking, shouldn't it affect more than just the 3 track games? Is it not more likely that the restructure from 3 to 4 tracks is the cause?

Any idea why I seem to have this 3 track problem and non of you? Could it be hardware revision or firmware version for GDEMU?

Also, shrunken Armada loads in DEmul, so all vital data should be intact.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  4. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Yeah the 4 tracks structure certainly can look invalid to GDEmu, we could put a dummy 4th track to push the data to track 5 if that's the only problem. But in the future a more thorough integrity check might consider any shrunk image as invalid. There's no guarantee.
    I probably disabled the integrity check as soon as it was added, because I've been messing with GDI structures for a while. Once GDIShrink is properly released, I will put that info in the readme.

I don't actually have much GDIs myself, and it worked for all of them. That's why reports like you are valuable to me. @darcagn and @SiZiOUS found a few games with a funky structure that GDIShrink struggles with, and now you've found a game with issues. Hopefully I can fix them, or at least detect those games and do a minimal bin2iso.

I'm even more curious in the

5. Zarper

Zarper Member

Armada is a Windows CE title. So I guess it'll be hard to analyse in NullDC since it doesn't support Windows CE as far as I know.

fafadou and Mrneo240 like this.
  6. Zarper

Zarper Member

@-=FamilyGuy=-
    I found another game that doesn't work for me in GDEMU after shrinking.
    Resident Evil 2 PAL will boot, show warning, play the Virgin video (publisher) and then reboot the console. Both disc 1 and 2 are the same.

Just like Armada the shrunken game works in DEmul and is a Windows CE title.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  7. jake74

jake74 Rising Member

Thanks for this. I've just had to use it after a firmware update (my first in a few years) and nearly all Titles disappeared.