Convert GDI to ISO

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by gorgyrip, Dec 5, 2016.

1. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

I want to do this, to save space on hard disc. I'm using it with Dreamshell.
    Usually, I extract the files with gdi2data. After that I'm using:
    hack3 1ST_READ.BIN 0
    And it's working, but some games don't work. They just restart. Games like Draconus, Dragon's Blood, etc.
    If I extract the files from a working CDI, the same thing happens.

2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Making Dreamcast games work as CD is basically case by case deal, with a few common cases and a lot of specific ones.

You can use a program called RebuildGDI to shrink the GDIs, it works with most of them.

I'm also working on a GDI shrinker functionality for gditools, it should be ready in a few months as I'm very busy.

Taijigamer2, fafadou and Xerxes3rd like this.
  3. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

I was planning to use RebuildGDI for games with CDDA, because I don't know how to convert them.
    But why the CDI image of one of the problematic games is working and after I recreate it to ISO it doesn't work?

4. -=FamilyGuy=-

There's a ton of possibilities, from LBA specific hacks that are different from the one hack3 fixes, to custom routines in the ip.bin or obfuscated TOC.

5. gorgyrip

gorgyrip Gutsy Member

Can you please post an exemple?

6. -=FamilyGuy=-

Sorry but I'm very busy and it's a whole domain in itself, can't really teach (or learn) it in a few minutes.
    Try and read the echelon selfboot tutorial and learn to make proper selfboots, then go to http://www.bucanero.com.ar/dreamcast/ripdb/ and check your game to see if there are known copy protections.

Some games have never been hacked to work on another LBA than 45000, but since most selfboots (non-cdda mainly) are perfectly fine at that LBA (using the space of the first session as my selfboot pack does), it's not a problem. It's for you though, as you seem to aim for LBA0.

For Optical Drive Emulators, the best approach at saving space really is shrinking GDIs. That's why I'm working on that feature on gditools. It will shrink GDIs without ever extracting them, hopefully this will make it completely transparent to the dreamcast and the emulated drive, as long as it doesn't try to access "empty" zones of sectors. It'll also save much more space than the "optimized GDIs" for game that have zero padding.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  7. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

I have done some cdi iso with cdda of wince games; They don't run with nulldc because this emulator don't run wince, and I can't test them with dreamshell because of the format, and I have no cd.
    Someone who have demul or maybe chankast could try them please, I don't have install demul :

worms world party :
    http://frd.li/0488e0c3971a3be106b7439353cf794b

super runabout :
    http://frd.li/909f7589f3cac18c9a4c7750105056b0

and deep fighter :
    http://frd.li/97040f6d546b94e2a29134dac3dfb5a2

You can burn them, but I'm not sure they're working so I primise nothing lol Thanks for your help

I follow carefully the echelon method burning a cd-rw and create the .cdi with disjuggler, it works well with snow surfer vga patch of japanese_cake release (thanks to him). if you want it, you can burn this one, nothing is downsample :
    http://frd.li/415d644c8e61c95a932f3ca107034517

8. -=FamilyGuy=-

The biggest problem with winCE with cdda is the playing of the right tanks at the right time. It's hard to succeed properly.

9. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Robust Member

There are recent replies here. Nice.
    I'm trying to get into burning self booting DC games from .gdi files from a redump archive myself. What current tool sets and tutorials are available to use for such a task?
    Is your gdi to old useful for someone looking to burn physical games family guy?

10. -=FamilyGuy=-

My selfboot pack is useful for Katana games (non-WinCE) with no audio tracks (3-tracks GDI). Otherwise I suggest building it manually.

In order to burn it to a disc, you should mount the resulting NRG file in daemon tools and use discjuggler to make a CDI image of the virtual drive, then burn that CDI file (the NRG file that's generated isn't exactly standard and burning it directly doesn't always work).

For selfboot in general, look for echelon selfboot tutorial. You can still use my binhack clone, binhack32, if you're using a 64bit version of Windows.

11. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

The current toolset seems to be based around mkisofs, cdi4dc OR mds4dc, and familyguys binhack32.

The rest of the tools are up to you! I personally use: hack4, ipbin4win, mrtool, dummy, disc juggler, daemon tools, hex editor, calculator and some others which are general purpose or custom coded.

I haven't failed yet in making an image. All of this is done on Windows 8.1 x64.

Thanks for your pack! At this point I don't really use it but I still use your binhack32.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  12. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

Not that it matters or you would care but with using your pack as a starting point lots of new stuff has been available for those without a GDEmu/USB-gdrom... http://www.theisozone.com/user-uploads/mrneo240/

Edit: "those without" autocorrect screwed me once again

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  13. -=FamilyGuy=-

It matters and I care!

My favorite achievement in this scene isn't stuff I've done myself, but what I indirectly helped others achieve themselves with my tools and help.

I don't get why you say those are for GDEmu though? They seem like they would be fine as discs?

14. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

Just phone autocorrect making me look dumb. Meant to say " without'

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

This vicious autocorrect!

16. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

@-=FamilyGuy=- So did you ever finish that easy tool to make gdis smaller?
    I still have games I want to run on my real hardware but am forced to load it via dreamshell and it SUCKS.
    Affording a GDEMU or USB-GDROM isnt possible at this time either.

17. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

Haha yep, btw you're mentioned in every release that gets made "FAMILYGUY - multiple utilities".

While I have you here though: with your data/data technique of using the space in the first session. Does that universally work? Or did I possibly mess up how to do that? Last night I was working on a demo disc that was big... 950mb (800mb without ANY videos), and I tried to make my 2 sessions but it didn't work.

I had the same files copied in both sessions and both had "-duplicates-once" but the game failed to load them (the disc gave a file read error in-game). Am I missing something?

18. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

I believe there exists a tool "rebuild gdi" that does it. I'm not sure if it's still here but it used to be on this board

19. -=FamilyGuy=-

It isn't finished, but I think I had released a crude script about a year ago here that did work fine enough. It might be hard to find though.

Basically all that's missing is the actual copying of data from the data tracks, the offsets to include/exclude are already properly deduced. I'll try and finish this before Christmas. But you know, real life, and stuff...

While there's no reason, that I know of, why it wouldn't work from a logical perspective, the reading speed near the inner part of the disc is effectively slower than on the outter part of it. If the data you put in the first session needs to be read fast, like a video or a big file, it might cause skipping/errors.

Also, not all versions of mkisofs support the duplicates-once option.

While rebuild GDI works fine for most games, it has to extract all files and rebuild the filesystem to do so.

My approach should do the minimal operations need to remove as much dummy/redondant/irrelevant data as possible. They is if I can get around to finish it.

It should be no harder to use than gditools, in fact it's a part of it and you can follow it's development on the SourceForge commit tree.

20. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

It occurred on 4 different emulators, I never got to testing it on burned disc.

That's odd right?