Controller Port LED Mod - Changing Colors

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by GoTeamScotch, Dec 4, 2016.

1. GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch Spirited Member

Wanted to share this simple mod I did last night. I'm sure it's been done but I personally haven't seen it done.

What it is is a variation of the controller port LED mod, which is where you install LEDs into each of the four front controller ports. The guides I've seen tell you to use a 5v LED and use the power available in the controller port to power it. What I did instead was use 3mm bi-color LEDs and power them using the same power source as the front power/eject button. This makes it so you can change the color of the LEDs by changing the color of the power/eject color from within XBMC (and other apps). I know these power lines weren't designed to handle 3x the load but I have spare motherboards lying around in case it broke something and I just wanted to see if it would work. I've done controller port LEDs before but I didn't like how when you change the color of the power light, your controller port colors then didn't match. This mod makes it so they're always all the same and you can pick which color they all are.

I had the option of pulling power from the wires going from the power/eject board to the motherboard but I didn't want to have to fish them through the front if I pulled the faceplate off. Also, when the faceplate is attached, there's very little clearance between the power/eject board and the xbox's metal cage and I didn't want to have any short circuits. I elected to pull power from the underside of the motherboard on the underside of the power/eject header.
    [​IMG]
    After snapping this photo, I put some hot glue on this area to keep the wires in place and to prevent shorts.
    (sorry for blurry photo! It looked clear when I took it on my phone)

I used the ground available in the controller ports which let me run just 4 wires instead of 6. You can see the blue+purple wires going along the front here:
    [​IMG]

LEDs wired up to ground in each port:
    [​IMG]

LEDs glued in, ready for power to be connected:
    [​IMG]

That's about it. Pretty straightforward and easy mod for the mod part. Came out looking great. I was half-expected all of the LEDs to be dimmer but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Next I'm putting a wireless router in this Xbox that's running DD-wrt in wireless bridge mode. I'll probably post about that later once it's all the way done.
    [​IMG]

weinerschnitzel, Nidge and Rocky5 like this.
  2. Nidge

Nidge Spirited Member

:cool: Is that a Moutain Dew case?

3. GoTeamScotch

Yes it is. I got it dirt cheap about a month ago in a trade. Regular softmod in exchange for the mountain dew box. :)

4. weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel Spirited Member

The internal dd-wrt network bridge sounds cool. I never got kai working on the version of dd-wrt I'm using.

5. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Why the hell would you mess with the mountain dew case when so many XBoxes exist that aren't anything special? Not something to be proud of. Not as bad as that douchebag who took a crystal XDK, cut it up, and painted the entire thing black. I would've paid a decent sum for this XBox.

You should get some decent flux and trim those wires a bit shorter. It'll help with what look like a few cold joints here and there as well as the "balling" you can see in most of the shots.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  6. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

There's quite a few of these. I don't see what he's done to the case that makes this bad at all. He's modified the internals, which is common through Xboxes anyway.

Many of these MD consoles have been opened in the past, and in poor condition. Took me ages to find one boxed back in the day. In the end, who cares, it's not like it was likely complete anyway. So many of them are ruined to begin with. If he hacked the case up in the same way of the XDK then I could understand your outrage, but not from this.

GoTeamScotch likes this.
  7. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I'd hardly call it outrage. I just never understand why people feel the need to mess with consoles that are better off as collection pieces. Last time I went looking for a Mountain Dew XBox they weren't exactly $25 and some change.

Case in point, I found a prototype 1.6 XBox that was not only opened by someone (maybe it was by some idiot, maybe it wasn't. No way to know) but soft modded. Nobody is that hard pressed for a XBox that they need to soft mod a prototype that may have had a beta build dash or maybe something on the HDD of historical interest to us now. The XBox itself is nothing to write home about in terms of being a prototype though.

8. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Also look at it this way. All Xboxes will have to be opened at some point. That clock cap is a ticking time bomb in it's self. I'd say mod away with anything internal. As long as you don't chop up a limited case, I think that's ok.

9. GoTeamScotch

Special item + unusual modification = even more special item. This isn't always the case but this isn't ultra-uber rare to come by.

I can appreciate how some collectors really care about not breaking the seals and keeping a rare item preserved, I really can, but this box isn't rare enough to get to that level. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and I would wager that it's worth more now than when I got it. I won't get buyers who need that seal to be intact, but there's still plenty of other folks left. If those folks don't mind a broken seal, the box then is seen as more valuable than if the seals were intact because it's rare and it's also modified (i.e. more unusual and useful).

This box wasn't in great condition either. It had an older board in it which I replaced with a v1.4 so I don't have any clock cap issues, noisy GPU fan, etc. You can still show it off and put it up on your shelf and have people can gawk at it but when it's not on the shelf, it's more than just a boring stock box. And I wouldn't mod the case but the internals are completely fair game. Same was the case for my 2001 Launch Team Xbox (>5x the rarity of MD box)... which I had no problem selling after opening.

The flux I have does the job well, the only indecent part about it is that I didn't clean it all off but it's no-clean flux so I wasn't too worried about damage. About balling and shorts: because of the clearance between the board and cage and the fact that glue went over the points as well, shorts weren't a big concern. You can see cold solder joints from these photos? Now I know you're just trying to be picky. They're all fine and working.

I've done reballs and what not at work but when I'm home it's a different story. It's just for fun. Excuse the mess. :p

10. Nidge

Nidge Spirited Member

Hmm seems I opened a can of worms when I asked if the case was a Mountain Dew! :oops:
    I was only asking because if it wasn't, it was a really good paint job :)

11. nigelp12345

nigelp12345 N163LPH03N1X

I tried out this mod and it works for a little bit then one side flickers a bit and eventually a full controller port and one led in the front LED shuts off. I don't know if maybe its my DVD Dongle that is soldered into port 4 which is drawing more power through the LEDs but that's the side that is burnt out as soon as I unplug port 4 the front LED comes back on. but like i said it works then after a few mins it burns out and i have to repeat the process in soldering a new LED in the controller ports. i wonder if I remove the Led from the ground in the controller ports and put it into another spot?

12. GoTeamScotch

A few more photos :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just sold this Mountain Dew box 2 days ago for $260 :)

This mod on the semi-transparent Halo boxes looks even better!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The red LED on the center-right was a little dim. I later opened it back up and replaced the p/e board and it's equally as bright now.

[​IMG]
    Going to do the box on the right once I get a chance.

[​IMG]