Contra Spirits prototype ROM Fundraiser - $750 Goal

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by contrafan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Which isn't unreasonable anyway.

2. einstein95

einstein95 Active Member

Like, eheh, certain past events that may or may not involve ASSEMbler directly?

3. runwhiteboyrun

runwhiteboyrun Active Member

Don't be coy about stuff. Speak plainly.

4. DreamTR

DreamTR Enthusiastic Member

I stopped collecting protos because of unrealistic expectations of people expecting level by level analysis of differences. Niels bought this from me, and he paid more than what he got for the dump, I will only say that much about the final price, but protos are one big hassle and headache because if you don't have the time to dedicated McDonald's wages hours to compare and contrast (and mind you, people will ask this on a $50 proto) then you are simply wasting your time.

I still have some protos for sale (probably going to dig some more out soon) , but as always I don't know what the differences are on any of them and I don't have time to dig out finals of other games to compare. I've had people back on deals because of lack of differences, but beggars can't be choosers on some of these, especially with AAA titles, you just never know so if you are a big fan the risks are warranted.

And let me stress this and make this perfectly clear. I sold this to him years ago, and I knew at LEAST the title screen was different, but the date on the EPROMS were a few months before the Japanese release unless my memory is failing me. I am sure Niels did not have any knowledge of the game's differences either. I sold it to him and told him that is what it was. Whether it had differences I had no idea, and he purchased it as such but I wanted to make that clear I was the original seller to him, and I had nothing to do with the dump or even knew this was being dumped until I found out today; I just want to make sure I don't get blamed for anything just by posting I sold him the cart in the first place because things can be twisted very easily by people in the prototype community especially if I am involved which I am definitely and 100% not in this transaction, I was merely a seller and thought it was interesting to see this was dumped and now even I know what complete "differences" it has.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  5. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

If a seller doesn't know if a proto they are selling has no differences then at least have the common courtesy to say so. Something like "I don't have the time to check the proto against a final release so I can't be sure of any differences, if any". At least that way the people buying the proto can't bitch when it turns out to be the same as the final release.

This Contra proto was stated to have different graphics and such when in reality it didn't. That's just plain lying no matter how you try and spin it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  6. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

Well, I don't think anyone is blaming you for anything here. Though I learned you owned this prototype, it was well after the current transaction. In this case, this prototype was represented as being significantly different from the final version, and in the end, it wasn't. A simple way to solve this problem would be to record a 5 minute gameplay video, if the amount of money offered is large.

7. DreamTR

DreamTR Enthusiastic Member

I understand what you are saying, I do that all time because it's the truth; I really have no idea on most of that stuff but what strikes me is that even with that said sometimes people agree to deals, I dig out the stuff and by being truthful and honest about the game when I test it just to make sure it works (sometimes I see some obvious stuff) people tend to back out after all of that trouble because it's not "exactly" the version they are looking for of what already is a rare piece to begin with. I know it's apples to oranges but people that promise not to back out and agree to pay a price for an unknown entity makes for some frustration to say the least, but yes, you are right, I am not sure how he thought the game had different stuff unless he was comparing it to Super Probotector.

8. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

Well, my opinion is this, coming from someone who would have little interest in this proto even if it had been really unique. When buying a proto, you know it is a gamble. However the proto cart itself can have significant value, regardless of the data held on it. If you are doing a ROM dump, you are only selling the data, which has little (but admittedly some no matter what) value unless it is remarkably different. To me, when the dump received differs as drastically from what was advertised, something is up. In the end he sold low quality data and yet retains the still valuable prototype cart.

9. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

This hits the nail on the head.