Contra Spirits prototype ROM Fundraiser - $750 Goal

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by contrafan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

The main issue I have here is that this guy is now going to expect top dollars for all of his prototypes. I mean, he was saying that there were differences in the levels, which, if it were the case, would make this game worth $750. This was a huge rip off, if you ask me, I was expecting far more.

In the future, I suggest getting a gameplay video before committing any money to a community release.

2. mindbender

mindbender Member

That probably means avoiding anything from Niels since he appears to be too busy to bother with providing them. The recent castlevania bloodlines rom procured from him was a known quantity, but there was next to nothing known about this aside from the title screen, and that ended up being the only significant difference.

Was really hoping this would've ended up being the version pictured in that Nintendo Power scan with the characters having their alternate colors at the very least.

3. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

4. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Yeah, he said different graphics, texts and possibly incomplete ending.

I think I know why you're having a problem with the speedyshare download link. You're probably clicking that green download button at the bottom of the page (it even says something about a download manager). Click on the file name at the top of the page, shown by the red marking: [​IMG]

(Yeah, I know. I could have easily set up a mirror in the time it took to put these instructions. But I want to stick to speedyshare since it's... speedy)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  5. mindbender

mindbender Member

That's the first time I've ever fallen for a fake download button. I could've sworn I tried clicked the text, but I guess I didn't. Thanks.

6. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

He asked for half what he paid for the cartridge; so he paid 1500 for the game. I assumed this was a usual way the buyer makes back the money they paid, especially after reading about other fundraisers.

I respect that you feel you got ripped off, there's really not much I can say about it. I wanted to see a ROM dump of this prototype for a very long time and took the word of others on Niels' legitimacy. I'll keep in mind getting gameplay footage for any future community releases.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  7. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

More fool everyone for giving money with no hard video or photographic evidence that the game was indeed different. This was a rip off and something that the seller must have been aware of.

8. Jayfenwick

Jayfenwick Active Member

So, it's really the same version than the final?

9. mindbender

mindbender Member

I was unable to find any visible differences at all in a playthrough. It's possible there might be some interesting data inside the rom, but I am not capable of extracting it.

10. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

The prototype binary is only about 5% different from the Japanese version, and 4% different from the US release. I imagine the bulk of that is the difference is just the title screen graphics, but I will post a more comprehensive article in due course. In all likelihood, this is just an intermediate localization of the Japanese version. In fact, one of the first things I thought when I saw this was "is this just a hack?" I have no reason to think it isn't legit, though.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  11. discoalucard

discoalucard Newly Registered

Might already be obvious, but the cheat codes that were disabled for the final NA release (but were in the Japanese release) work here.

12. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

It's because it is the Japanese version essentially. Besides the codes, there are infinite continues by default as well. You can also see the full ending sequence on all 3 difficulty settings.

13. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

I've posted my own article on this prototype on SNES Central.

14. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Good read. And the ending speaks the truth. I'm honestly embarrassed having been the one that set this all up. I'm still going to have to ask Niels exactly what it was that he considered different besides the titlescreen, but it's still as hard as ever to get any consistent responses from him.

Next ROM I get from him I'll likely be buying myself first after proof that it's worth anything. Then make my own shots etc and start a fundraiser. One lesson I've learned here is don't do fundraisers for things you don't actually have yourself.

15. Jayfenwick

Jayfenwick Active Member

Well, the Contra's franchise is as great as the Castlevania one... And I paid $2500 to Niels for the wonderful rom of Bloodlines 0.5, an unfinished version with a lot of new sprites and levels... So, for me, asking $750 for this Contra's prototype was suspect.......

Don't worry Bramsworth : everybody knows that you are a very honest guy !!!

16. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Yeah, I agree completely. This applies equally to myself with regards to bringing up prototypes for release. This has been a very disappointing experience for everyone and I'm to blame for rushing without first getting screenshots or videos (I did ask, though). From now on, any release I bring up comes from me or the game owner IF they provide some proof.

17. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Unless there is a video with proof of not being final, I won't allow any further fundraising for anything castlevania or resident evil. They both seem to attract exploitation.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  18. Jayfenwick

Jayfenwick Active Member

No problem ASSEMbler, your point of view is understandable and respectable.

19. einstein95

einstein95 Active Member

ASSEMbler complaining about exploitation? Wow.

20. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

The problem is expectations. People tend to have unrealistic built up expectations based on personal desire and hopes. When things like this happen it creates
    bad feelings.

From now on big items will require video proof.