Contra Spirits prototype ROM Fundraiser - $750 Goal

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by contrafan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

what exactly is the money for, e.g. what is it being used for? is it just being payed to whoever has this prototype rom in order for them to cough it up or what? and what's going to happen once the goal is reached?

2. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

It's being used to get a ROM. Once the goal is reached the ROM is released once I give the money to the guy.

If you notice that Castlevania proto thread recently, this ROM comes from the same guy, Simon_Belmont(aka Niels) on this forum. He has tons of neat protos that won't likely appear elsewhere and is willing to sell ROMs. He prefers someone else collect the money rather than having to manage that side of things himself though, which is why I'm a middleman of sorts here.

Hopefully that clears things up.

3. synrgy87

synrgy87 Well Known Member

It does, normally i avoid these kind of threads but was curious this time :)

4. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I don't like this idea of raising money for roms you don't have.

It violates the whole proxy seller thing we forbid here.

Unless you own something, don't try to raise money for it or sell it for someone. We've had problems in the past.

Now I am not saying this is the case here, and I have been away and not answering emails on time.

My concern is if it falls apart, there is no real chain of responsibility.

Therefore please be advised I won't delete this thread as I was late to the reply of his emails, however I have
    none of the precautions normally in place for such a thing and any money you donate you should not expect back.

5. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Perhaps as a way to assure everyone, Neils is a known collector of prototypes and he recently sent a Castlevania ROM to someone who paid for it, so I'm sure he won't swindle us with this. Either way, I'll leave this discussion at that in this forum.

6. Bramsworth

All I'll say is I think we sorta fell into the same trap that happened with Jayfenwick's topic, that is being too impatient for getting a mod's permission and just going ahead with things by ourselves. If there's any concerns from people I'd always be willing to address them since I am the one collecting funds, so I'd be as responsive as possible.

That said, we just reached $640. So only $110 left. Getting close!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  7. Bramsworth

We've reached our goal thanks to a couple of donations just now. Thanks to all who helped. As soon as I get the ROM you'll see an update.

8. skyrunner14

skyrunner14 Rising Member

Glad to hear things worked out! I'll be looking forward to this.

9. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

Awesome news!

10. Bramsworth

Just cuz I don't like being silent, we should be looking at a ROM tomorrow if all goes well.

11. redopiate

redopiate Rising Member

Soooo....

<_<

>_>

12. Bramsworth

Unfortunately we're having problems with a good ROM dump. Cart works on the console but the Retrode doesn't supply a working dump. We're trying to get an overdump right now, but the Retrode seems to want some magic trick performed in order to actually get that working.

All contributors are aware of the situation and have been trying to help though, so no one's left in the dark there. I do wish Niels actually had dumped the cart previous to this fundraiser, that's something that really messed things up here.

I'll update when I have more info.

13. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

This is something I asked him early on, but didn't get a response to. So now we know.
    Niels seems to be very busy and only got around to (trying to) dump the ROM last weekend. So any further progress, if any, will only be seen this coming weekend.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  14. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

You'd think for the amount of money being paid that he wouldn't be so "busy". Seriously, it should take 5 minutes to get a proper dump, even if you had to take out the ROM chips and put them in another board.

15. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

I hear you on that.

Not trying to rip on the guy, but his pattern of responding to messages is irritating and is certainly not helping the situation.

16. Bramsworth

I've been occupied the last couple of days, but I'm still here. Emailed Niels again to check the situation.

I'll keep everyone informed.

17. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Alright, it's finally ready to be released. For those of you looking for an early version of Contra III/Spirits, I'm sorry to disappoint you. I'm much more disappointed in how long it took, though.

It's just the Japanese version (ie, Contra Spirits) with an English title screen - Contra IV: The Alien Wars. Clearly, the title screen's design was just a placeholder.

Here's the only major difference:
    http://contrapedia.wordpress.com/contra-iii-the-alien-wars-pre-release-versions/#ivsnes

Here's the ROM:
    http://speedy.sh/QsBrZ/Contra-IV-The-Alien-Wars-Contra-Spirits-Prototype.sfc

By the way, to run it in SNES9x, use a hex editor and change to 0x53 at offset 0x7FD5.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  18. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

This is what happens when people are blinded by the item. Enjoy the $750 same as retail.....

19. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Most of the 750 came from me and I'm not really complaining. This is hardly different than people paying tons of cash, more than $750, for a completely identical final release build out of a gamble. At least here, there is another prototype version of a game out.

20. mindbender

mindbender Member

Thanks for coming through with this, it's a real shame there was nothing new. Did the owner really tell you there were level differences and such?

edit: seems like someone had the same issue in your other release thread, clicking download leads to the site offering a 94kb exe. Would appreciate an alternate download link if possible!