Contra Spirits prototype ROM Fundraiser - $750 Goal

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by contrafan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

EDIT: Now that things are set up, let's go into the information.

Niels, aka Simon_Belmont on this forum, has agreed to share the ROM of an early prototype of Contra Spirits. It has different graphics, text, title screen, level differences and possibly incomplete (missing last level or ending). The required amount is actually not too bad and we're already off to a great start as you can see. If you're into Contra, especially Contra III, this is a great chance to see what Contra III was like in the making.

For other information on the fundraiser and who's getting the funds together, see here: http://forums.hidden-palace.org/viewtopic.php?p=9473

Game
    : Contra Spirits
    Platform: Super Famicom
    Current
    : $400
    Goal
    : $750

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. iCEQB

iCEQB Peppy Member

What platform is this game to start with?
    And the whole money thing depends on the game ... so knowing something more specific than "prototype ROM" would help us out here.

3. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

You'll see that some fundraisers happen really fast and others struggle the whole way. I bet nesworld and Borman could comment on this more. You definitely won't get much done with out more info and without people knowing how early of a build it is.

4. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Here's more info, after getting permission: It's an early version of Contra Spirits for the Super Famicom (better known as Contra III: The Alien Wars). It's in fact so early that the title screen reads Contra IV. My concern right now isn't how long it'll take to reach the required amount, but rather how one goes about setting up the fundraiser, letting people know, announcing it, etc.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  5. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

There's not really anything that requires too much thought. Generally I think you just message Assembler and ask his permission. I did that once with a proto I still had coming in the mail and wanted to set a fundraiser so I could afford a Retrode to dump it. Didn't fly since I had zero idea what was on the cart. Since you know it's early and maybe can share details then I think you're fine. Just a matter of making the topic and waiting for the attention.

Sounds interesting and I'd want to help! Though with this Castlevania stuff, not sure how available I'd be...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Dont forget about me Brams :p

7. Bramsworth

lol yeah I've completely forgotten about sending my Retrode to you. School's keeping me busy.

I'll try my best to remember after we see what happens with Castlevania ;)

8. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

No problem haha

9. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Well, OK, sounds easy enough.

On that note, the only other question I have is how the paying works. Do we just pay directly to the prototype owner or does it work differently?

Anyway, I'm confident that we'll reach the goal because, me being the crazed fan, I'll be contributing heavily. About this Contra Spiritis prototype, I currently only know that the title screen shows the older name, but I'm hoping there will be more to it and I'll try to find out. Regardless, this is one I've wanted to see released for quite a while, so I feel that it's worth it.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  10. Bramsworth

Is this owner someone that doesn't want to show themselves publicly? I'm not too sure myself how the funds would be managed. If the owner is really into this then it's best to discuss it with him, I think.

11. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Alright, I'll speak to him about how he wants it to work. By the way, he's Simon_Belmont (Neils).

12. Bramsworth

Ah, him. I tried emailing him in the past and he never responded. Hope it works out for you.

13. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

I actually sent him an email nearly a year ago, so it was completely unexpected to get a response yesterday. Call it a great start to the new year :)

14. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Alright, so I asked him how it'll work. He suggests someone get all the money together from everyone that contributes and pay in one shot. It is somewhat how I thought it would be, therefore it's not that straightforward. Who will it be? If it's me, it's kind of hard because I'm a total newcomer and it's the first time I'm doing this, so perhaps that can stray people away.

15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

There are a few people who have done this type of thing before. Someone might step up.

16. Bramsworth

So I volunteered to collect funds :) Unfortunately I'm very impatient and don't think I'll be getting a response from Assembler approving a topic anytime soon, so I've just gone ahead and posted about it here:

http://forums.hidden-palace.org/viewtopic.php?p=9473

$750 isn't that much. Let's get this over with! :p

17. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

EDIT: Will request a mod to change the thread title.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  18. Bramsworth

We're currently at $415 now. This is still ongoing..at Hidden Palace of course. Not here. Nope....

19. Tatsujin

Tatsujin Officer at Arms

Since contra spirits aka contra III was released on the tiger.com, I assume it's for the CDi.

20. Bramsworth

The main post used to only reference a proto ROM without specifying which game, so any subsequent replies look like they're being ignorant when in fact they made sense before the post was edited.

Fun response, though :p