Contra Force sample on Yahoo Japan

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by contrafan, Sep 13, 2018.

1. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

Zant likes this.
  2. DarkKobold

DarkKobold Member

I saw that live. There were a couple things that made me question the authenticity. It was suppose to be called Arc Hound in Japan. It was well placed in the listing to be visible. It doesn't have the normal stamp that Konami samples do, nor did it use a Konami shell.

3. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I hadn't considered the cart not looking like most Konami samples. But then again, I did find this Tiny Toons 2 sample cart that's white. Clearly from a later period where their labels were different and the Konami logo was changed, though. There's no way to really know.

Edit: I forgot Contra Force was also 1992. So either they were lazy and used an older label design they had left over while using a then modern white sample casing, or I don't know what.

4. contrafan

contrafan Peppy Member

I scrutinized it for anything that would have revealed the sample as fake; I wanted it to be one, to save a lot of trouble. But there isn't much to decide with certainty.

Yeah, it was supposed to be Arc Hound in Japan and this is the strongest point. But there have been legit FC sample carts with US builds on them. Additionally, the Contra Force title for overseas was decided considerably before its scheduled Japan release, which was also around its scheduled release in NA (Q4 1991); but of course it got canned in Japan (and delayed by about a year for NA). A lot could have happened and changed in that year+.

The stamp and shell aren't much to go by, neither, as there are Konami FC protos in different kinds of shells, different labels, etc over the years. Here are few examples http://famicomworld.com/workshop/protos/ (the early games are in that black shell with similar label). I've seen others that are different on Yahoo Japan in the past. Actually yeah, Contra Force is a much later title, and different labels/shells were seen by then.

I also brought it up with some of the experts and none could deem it fake for sure, either. If it can be outed as fake, it's no loss then (and great, even). But at this point, who knows.

Edited to add more info.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018