Consolized PSP

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Bearking, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

I actually mention the use of a PIC for this very purpose in the first post ;)
    "I'm not sure if a PIC could be programmed to wait for 5-10 secs for the system to boot and then pull the Display-button line low for five seconds. This is something that would be nice to add eventually :)"

Hardly the most complicated code ever. Could be a fun project to work on and learn a little PIC programming at the same time :)

It is.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  2. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Great minds think alike eh? I was too excited looking at the pictures to bother reading.

3. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I dont think you even need a PIC, You could probably do that with a 555 circuit.

4. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

A 555 would be able to do it.

5. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Thanks, I'll look for some info on that 555 timer :)

6. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Wouldn't the 555 sit there spamming away at the button though? Granted I'm not that familiar with how to set up a 555 timer but it would seem like unless you shut it off it'd continue going nuts.

7. sonicdude10

I think you may be right. I didn't think of that. There might be a way of making it pulse once then go dormant. Maybe pulling the signal voltage from a place that goes high when the PSP starts then goes below the trigger voltage while it stays on would work. Then you'd only get a single pulse and the pulse duration timing can be set to the needed length. Not sure since I don't mess with these things...

8. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I am not very familiar with working with a 555 either but I am sure there would be a simple clever way to make this work.

You can easily make the pulses about 5 sec with the proper Resistor/capacitor combo, then once it flips to for the first time, it activates the fullscreen mode and then there is probably an easy way to make the timer stop. If it is not doable with the chip itself, some sort of simple gate setup should do it.

9. braders1986

braders1986 Robust Member

Well played to you sir. Looks fantastic.

10. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

I think I'll be looking into PIC programming instead. While the 555 timer seems to be a very versatile and generally used component, I think learning a bit about PIC programming will serve me well in future projects too :)
    Not ruling out 555 timers in future projects at all though :)

11. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Use astable mode and a simple RC delay on the the reset pin - just set the time constant on the reset so that it only has time to generate one output pulse and then the reset is activated before the second one would occur.

But I think a PIC would be simpler...

12. sonicdude10

An 8 pin Arduino or ARM controller might be a better way to go. Very simple design and the code to run the mode switching would be stupid simple.

13. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Maybe a set-reset latch with a 555 timer would work. It'd have to detect when the console is outputting to the screen and then it'd simply ignore the 555 timer.

Still think a PIC would be easier.

14. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

All PSP models can boot CFW.

The only exception is how "permanent" they are.

PSP 1k and PSP 2k (early models) can have the CFW copied to flash so it is "always on."

PSP 2k (later models), PSP 3k, PSP-Go and PSP E all require the CFW to be manually booted from memory card every time the system is power cycled.

15. Meer

Meer Spirited Member

Bloody epic. Looks very console-ish

16. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

That's not true. The 3004 model I used here and my PSP Go could both use permanent boot after a little work. Basically you update to OFW 6.60, launch the CFW Pro 6.60, downgrade to OFW 6.20 and run the CFW 6.20 permanent installer. That will launch the CFW every time the system is turned on. You can fool games and PSN to think you're running 6.60, I can't remember the details, but it shows up in the system information as version 6.60 (fake) if I remember correctly. As far as I can understand there is no noticeable difference between 6.20 and 6.60 so it shouldn't matter. Online gaming like Phantasy Star Portable 2 also works nicely with this fix. Not sure every motherboard revision supports downgrading, I can't remember all the details, but it works on the two models I've tried.

I should say though, that I ONLY have the CFW on my consolized PSP so I'll be able to play the upcoming Valkyria Chronicles 3 translation and rip my UMDs for playing on the PSP Go, which uses CFW for that reason. No pirating here.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  17. snakeye355

snakeye355 Spirited Member

That's Nice! How long have you been working on this?

18. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

It depends on the motherboard revision of the PSP.

19. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

I think it took about three weeks. That's my best guess :) The most time consuming part was driving back and forth between me and my friend so I could paint it. And one of the parts had to be repainted three times :/

Yes I thought it was something like that. Guess I was just really lucky :)

20. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Sorry, I was bored...

Note that this hasn't been run on real hardware, just simulated - but it's so simple I doubt it has any bugs (famous last words, I know...)

Basically, it waits for 5s after power up, then pulls down GPIO2 for 250ms and then sits in a spin loop. The target device is the PIC 12F629, since they are cheap and common.

<Outdated attachment deleted>

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013