Consolized PSP

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Bearking, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

A few months ago I finished the consolization of my PSP-3004. I chose to build it into a semi-faulty PStwo to make it look more like an original licensed product. Besides the PStwo is not the ugliest console ever made, and the PS2 logo can easily be altered to look exactly like a PSP logo :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    - Sitting next to a RGB modified NES here ;)

Some work in progress pictures and detailed soldering points here:
    http://www.playright.dk/forum/emne/26126-vis-os-dit-mod-traaden?start=1400
    - and here:
    http://www.playright.dk/forum/emne/26126-vis-os-dit-mod-traaden?start=1450
    Beware it's all in Danish. The pictures of soldering points should be friendly enough though :)

For the controller I bought a brand new PS2 controller. What I didn't know at the time, was that the PSP didn't use analog sensitive buttons. Because even though PS2 and PS3 have them, they are rarely used. So the internals of the PS2 controller wasn't going to work out of the box. Instead I found a PS1 controller in the basement among all my spare parts. It was in really bad shape, but all the buttons are digital on these. It took a little bit of fiddling to make it fit properly inside the PS2 controller, but nothing hard. It's worth mentioning that I desoldered the old worn analog sticks on the PS1 controller PCB and replaced them with the new PS2 ones, just for that new console feel :)

The controller connector on the console side is a 25 pin D-sub connector. As you can see there are two pins missing. This is so I can use standard Neo Geo controllers/sticks on the system, as well as my large arcade stick I made some years ago from the front panel of an Arcade machine :) The connectors on the right-hand side of the connector are used for the analog stick only.

The console outputs in component using original PS3 component cables. This is being upscaled to 1080p by my XRGB-mini which does a pretty nice job (much nicer than any other upscaling solution I have seen anyway):
    [​IMG]

At the moment I have to turn on the console, wait a few seconds for it to enter the XMB and then press the Display-button (formerly the Eject-button on the PStwo) for five seconds to make it output in component. I can also use the R3 button on the controller to enable/disable AV-out. It will also be possible to install an automatic solution should I figure out how to make something like that. I'm not sure if a PIC could be programmed to wait for 5-10 secs for the system to boot and then pull the Display-button line low for five seconds. This is something that would be nice to add eventually :)

Looking at the picture of the insides you can see some use of hot glue. I would like to say that it's certainly not used because I don't trust my soldering skills. I use plenty of liquid flux when soldering things like this, and the wires does stick properly. Unfortunately the slightest pull on the wires will rip the surface mounted components apart :nightmare: This is not something I have experienced before, and unfortunately I ended up with a semi-dead PSP because of this. Having no way to measure the value of the tiny surface mounted capacitors, I found another 3004-console (with a few games I wanted anyway) very cheap. A spare UMD drive is always nice to have too, so I guess it's not all bad.
    So the hotglue is applied only to eliminate the chances of the wires ripping the soldering pads of the components. And it did work, on the second PSP soldering was a breeze :)

The paintjob looks good on the pictures and it did turn out really good if I must say so myself. Unfortunately the paint I used was shit and it absorbs fingerprints, marks and dints like crazy. It's hard to explain, but it feels like it's only 99% dry, even after being painted almost two months ago...
    The paint is just shit and I'm never using that brand (Plasti-Kote) again. I used plastic primer as well also the same brand so that's not the problem :) Some day I might sand it all down and repaint it if I feel like it.

Anyway hope you'll like it.

Right now it's just sitting quietly under my TV, waiting for the fan translation of Valkyria Chronicles 3... :encouragement:

2. kuze

kuze Peppy Member

That's some seriously impressive work! I really love how you modified the slimline ps2 case -- The umd drive looks like it belongs there and the logo mod is top notch.

Thanks for sharing

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  3. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

WOW! that looks really professional dude. I love it.

4. DefectX11

DefectX11 Familiar Face

Jesus, you are amazing!

Is there a chance you take commissions for this? I would be more than willing to pay for one of these, for sure.

EDIT- wow, I can't help but to just look at it- it really is an impressive piece.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  5. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

I'm throwing my money at the screen but NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!!

6. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

Excellent job! It looks damn near factory!

7. IceMaN30

IceMaN30 Member

Very impressive mod! Fantastic work!

8. duo_r

duo_r Active Member

So bad ass!

9. Nintendawg

Nintendawg Rapidly Rising Member

Really good work! I was dreaming about a consolized psp about a year ago but it never materialised due to my lack of knowledge and skill. There are so many nice PSP games that I ignore because the console itself is awkward to hold for long periods.

10. Teancum

Teancum Intrepid Member

Had to chime in. This is awesome!

11. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

No sorry I don't plan to sell it, but I'm touched that someone thinks this is good enough to sell :)

Exactly the reason why I did it :)

And thank you, everyone who has posted, for the positive feedback :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  12. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

you could go into business. I'd pay top dollar for it.

When I have money that is...

13. DefectX11

DefectX11 Familiar Face

Sorry to pursue this, but I have been looking for something like this for a while...

Commission would mean I'd pay you to make another, possibly supply the parts if necessary. I'm dead serious.

14. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Awesome dude. I actually had been lurking you work for a while so I saw this coming, I really like how you made it work with the Ps2 case :)
    I will try making one myself eventually, I have a broken PsP someone gave me.
    I hope you can find a way to automatize the video out setting :)

15. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

Nice work indeed.

16. omp

omp Familiar Face

That is bloody fantastic!

17. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Awesome job~!

18. duo_r

duo_r Active Member

Dude I know what u are saying with the paint. You know what is 100% reliable? Vinyl dye paint either VHT or DupliColor. That semi dry stuff is BS and will piss you off. The Vinyl dye paint doesn't do that.

I am trying to find a good Gold paint since they don't make gold in Vinyl Dye.

pS - how do you hook up the controller exactly? I get how to hookup to all the buttons but the analogue stick?

19. InnocentSam

InnocentSam Spirited Member

I love how you turned the PS2 logo into PSP :love-struck: and the disc tray looks very fitting. Nice work!

20. bearkilla

bearkilla Peppy Member

looks very professional, well done