Consolized Game Gear

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Frank Coroan, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Omnigamer

Omnigamer Newly Registered

IIRC the only multiplayer link between the game gears was the Ext port, which passed controller info between the two systems. This means you could just rewire a second DE-9 connector (or use an adapter) to those pins and it would be good to go.

2. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Would that mean it'd be like an early version of Wii U when one uses the TV screen and the other uses the Game Gears screen?

3. Omnigamer

Omnigamer Newly Registered

Not quite; from the perspective of one game gear, it sees the inputs from the 2nd player exactly as if it were another controller. There's no need for a 2nd game gear or screen at all; both players would be playing simultaneously on one system.

4. Jord4n313

Jord4n313 Member

This is great! Game Gear is one of the last few systems missing from my collection, and I think I would actually prefer a well done consolized game gear over an LCD swap. The Game gear is just too bulky for me to use as a true portable, and if I am at home I might as well be playing on my PVM.

I woud love to see someone selling a sexy professional looking case for this mod - and NGPC, WSC, and Lynx as well (perfectly happy using gameboy player and super gameboy for the nintendo portables). I feel like my soldering abilities are getting better, but I don’t trust myself with any external mods. I am too much of a perfectionist, and I don’t have the skills to meet my own expectations. These external aesthetic mods require more than just practice - you need some innate artistic ability as well.

5. segasonicfan

segasonicfan Robust Member

this is really cool, great work! Would you by chance be willing to share the 3D print files? Im designing some GG PCB upgrades and could use the dimensional layout of the boards (and standoffs).
    and you dont need the VGA board, you can always grab RGB+S from the viletim board which is better, actually. (lowres, yes!)
    I like that you left the cart labels exposed, looks nice.

-Segasonicfan

6. game.tech.us

game.tech.us Member

Anybody know what happened to Frank?
    I haven't had contact since early Jan...

7. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

I something like this on the latest RetroRGB YT-vid. The creator, whoever it was, can't remember, was also working on a consolized NeoGeo Pocket. Really hoping something like that materializes, at the moment I can't think of a way to play NGPC on a TV or capture video from it.

8. VaNDAL

VaNDAL Rising Member

Hay is the file avalible to 3D print this?

9. phillip

phillip Active Member

Very cool!
    Inspiring, in fact. I might one day do this, especially since GG's and (most) of its games are so cheap. TBH though, I'll probably just yank out the guts of a model 2 Genesis and slap the GG in it.

10. VaNDAL

VaNDAL Rising Member

iStreet likes this.
  11. Conte Zero

Conte Zero Rapidly Rising Member

More or less. The Game Gear uses the link-ext connector in two ways: you can link two game gear and play 2 player game gear game. Every player will need a console, a copy of the game and the link cable. With a consolized game gear linked to a normal GG you could have different images on the two screen (i think depends on the game). The other way is to use a master system adapter and a cable adapter and you can connect a master system gamepad to the link-ext port and play two player games like on a master system (but only with master system games).

Fun fact: the micromachines games allowed two player to play together... on a single game gear! You can only steer left and right: one player is using che d-pad and the other the A&B buttons. Probably playing this on a bigger screen could be more difficult than on the original console :-D