Console Capture with PEXHDCAP2

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by RetroSwim, Sep 13, 2017.

1. RetroSwim

RetroSwim <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Arguably the best capture card for 240p sources is the Startech PEXHDCAP or USB3HDCAP, which are both Micomsoft products.

But they are somewhat hard to come by these days, and when you do find them, they command high prices.

The PEXHDCAP2 does support capturing 240p RGB with C-Sync directly using the HD15->DVI-I adaptor, but gave me trouble when trying to capture consoles with slightly out-of-spec vertical refresh rates. (Such as ~60.1Hz on the NES/FC and SNES/SFC)

What I was getting was a half-frame every second or so, like this:

Through a lot of trial and error, I found that although weird frame rates were causing issues when using RGB, they were resolved by using Y/Pb/Pr.

The solution was simple, put my RGB->YUV converter box between the distribution amp and the capture card.

Now I can play on my PVM monitor, while streaming from the capture card.

Unfortunately the distribution amp I'm using has made the picture a little soft. Not so noticeable on the capture window, but definitely visible on the PVM. I've decided I will just put up with it, and disconnect the amp when not streaming.

The little blue box is just a BNC->HD15 adaptor I built from stuff I had lying around.

2. andynumbers

andynumbers Member

The Micomsoft/Startech cards are rebranded Yuan capture cards. Unfortunately they are only as good as their drivers when it comes to capturing 240p. Some later drivers are known to drop 240p support. It would be cool if we could reach out to Yuan and get their driver source code and get some better drivers written for the gaming community, but that's probably just a pipe dream.

My solution is to use an XRGB3 to upscale to 640x480 and then capture the XRGB3 output. It makes life a little easier not having to worry about capturing a 240p or interlaced signal.