Connecting the Katana Dev.Box with a USB to SCSI cable

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by dr3am, Jun 12, 2019.

1. dr3am

dr3am Newly Registered

I have been looking forward to give this a try for a while, however due to the extremely high prices of these cables today, I have been unable to get my hands on one of them until now.

This is the setup I have used:
    While I must admit the VM was struggling to detect the cable during the first few attempts, I managed to make it work several times by executing the following steps in order:
    • Connect the USBXchange to the Dev.Box and to the PC hosting the VM
    • Power on the Dev.Box
    • Launch the Windows 98 SE VM
    Eventually, Windows 98 SE will detect the USBXchange as connected and you would be able to perform a connectivity test with the help of DA-Check.

[​IMG]

I have not tested with other Windows OS or directly with a physical machine hosting Windows 98 SE but I'm confident I should work if you stick to an OS for which you can find the right drivers for your cable. There is number of cables out there, some more expensive than others.

If you manage to find one of these cables for a decent price, it's a good way to get rid of the old bulky physical setup we are all used to.

Now at least you know USBXchange works with this configuration - and potentially beyond.

pool7, Dreamcast, jollyroger and 2 others like this.
  2. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

Interesting, thanks for the investigation & taking the risk :)

I'm a little confused though about the "connectivity test" & the screenshot however.
    Did you run the DA & GD-M tests in DACheck & was the result all green / did you try to send a program & debug with it, or did you only start DACheck ?

3. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

Hey, Dr3am! I've been doing some testing with alternatives to the recommended 2940 PCI card as well (link). I found that the Adaptec SlimSCSI 1460 PCMCIA card works well if you have a laptop with a PCMCIA slot (I suppose a PC with a PCI - PCMCIA adapter card would work too).

For USB alternatives, I have the USB 2.0 version, the USB2Xchange. So far, I've done the same setup (passthrough into a VM), but with XP as the host OS. I still need to test it with my Dev.Box, but it should yield the same results you found.

Agreed on the price / scarcity of the USB adapters. I'm hoping to find a cheap non-Adaptec USB SCSI adapter to try to see if it works as well. As long as it supports more than one device on the SCSI chain, it should be OK.

4. Dreamcast

My full report can be found here.

pool7 likes this.
  5. dr3am

dr3am Newly Registered

It was a simple connection to ensure the Dev.Box was seen from the VM.
    • I launched DA-Check, that worked and it was detected
    • Switched it from CPU to OS mode
    • I was able to browse the disk content
    I am unsure whether all the functions work properly at this point, however the connection, disk browsing and mode switches were successful.

@Dreamcast: Interesting, thanks for sharing!

Dreamcast likes this.
  6. Dreamcast

@dr3am - When you have time, try running GDWorkshop. With the USB2Xchange, on startup of GDWorkshop, it causes the adapter to crash. I'm working on determining if it's a problem with the adapter or the drivers I'm using to get USB 2.0 support under 98SE.