US Conker 64/Twelve Tales: Conker's Quest

Discussion in 'Want to Buy Requests (WTB)' started by Bramsworth, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

It's that time again. Trying to track down my holy grail. Instead of making this a boring WTB thread, however, I'm going to just talk a bit about this game and how difficult it's been tracking it down.

I made a thread about this last year to no avail. To be honest, this feels completely pointless to even bother. Who even habitually looks at the WTB area anyway? I completely ignore it unless I'm going to make my own post. In any case, I feel like trying again since I'm pretty sure the owner of this cart is out there. Whether they ever look here, have moved on in life and are disconnected from gaming forums, or if they have any friends that see threads like this and report back to them and have a small chuckle over it, whose to say.

So what do I know about the existence of any carts in collectors hands? Well, I'm aware there's a cartridge of this game that has apparently exchanged hands over the years. Is it the only copy? Wish I knew. This info comes directly from Brandon F. If anyone remembers him, he was a guy on the Assembler forums who had a few prototypes back in the day, mostly Rareware stuff. This included some GBA protos which he sold as ROMs, like the Diddy Kong Pilot protos. Last we heard from him, he apparently had a near-death experience or something that basically resulted in him renouncing any interest in trying to track down Conker anymore. He then started selling off his collection, some of which he was paid for but he vanished before sending it to anyone. I think a Superman 64 proto, or at least its box, was one of the casualties to this incident. Who knows where he's gone now. All I know is he was in Sweden as a student I think. He's probably completely forgotten about this place.

Sadly he's not the only one where something happened and we're left in the dark. A lot of people here probably know the rumors of past user nintendomad supposedly having bought a copy that was being sold here back in 2008. That all started when Assembler made a comment inside a Dinosaur Planet thread that someone had the game but it was too expensive so don't ask, as he put it. Well, apparently someone got it. Was it nintendomad? Sadly nintendomad passed away months later in 2009, so it was never confirmed. I'm still not clear who first said "I think nintendomad got it" and what they were basing that off of, so I have no idea why this rumor started. Without going into too much detail since it's actually a very messy story, curiosity got the best of me and I tracked down people that knew Nintendomad. Going by the info I got from one source, there's just no way he could have afforded the game back then unless he was being absolutely wreckless. I'm mostly satisfied at this point he in fact wasn't the purchaser, but I can't know that 100%.

The person who sold that supposed cart though, that's something I think I know. People might remember a Majora's Mask debug cart that was sold here ages back. I feel certain it was that seller because word of a cart being in some private collector's hands only showed up as soon as that guy was here hawking off lots of protos. But it could also be a mix up and there never was a Twelve Tales cart, but instead, just a "Conker" cart. I say this because those ECTS and Debug builds of Bad Fur Day that are out there now were sold by this very collector. Assembler described the guy as a former Nintendo sub-contractor. Well, I know who the guy was and that's exactly who he once was. I've reached out to him and he insists he's never owned Twelve Tales though. Whether he's being coy because he wants to avoid any trouble or not, I don't know. He's got a personal project he's been working on for years so that could be the case, so as to not ruin that with perceived future legal issues with Nintendo. But in all likelihood, it's just as possible that he only had those Bad Fur Day carts and the whole idea he had Twelve Tales was just a misunderstanding. Yet again though, I can't know this 100%.

So that just leads me to the present. I haven't had any other leads since. That info that there's a cart that supposedly has exchanged hands over the years is the only thing that apparently resulted from Brandon F's former offer of $14,000 for a Twelve Tales cart. Such a high sum and that's all that he got.

If this exists, I guess the owner has no interest in passing it on to another person. But you never know. It's been years now and priorities change in life. I'm just hoping somehow this thread can get someone to give me a bread crumb.

Anyway, that about wraps that up. Sorry for the wall of text. If anyone has any leads, email me at acalonian8@protonmail.com.

Thanks for reading :)

HyperGHZ, Doomtrain, AntDRAG and 5 others like this.
  2. Qrissi

Qrissi Rising Member

I wish you luck on your journey to find this holy grail ;)

3. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

Good luck, Brammy!

4. limbofunk

limbofunk Member

That is quite a journey you’ve described. Good luck!

5. Shane Battye

Shane Battye Spirited Member

Try Bobo Mcloud on nintendoage; he has (maybe had) the largest collection of N64 protos I know, is a genuine reseller and honest guy.

6. Bramsworth

I'm aware of Bobo. He definitely doesn't have it, though he's had some interesting things before. But whoever happens to own this I think is more unknown and private than him.

Thanks for the well wishes, btw. I can still remember waiting anxiously for this game and being excited whenever another month had passed and the latest gaming magazines were out since it meant maybe another preview and even maybe a release date. Definitely would be a childhood dream to get it.

7. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

Does Rare still have it? Might be more worthwhile to try to convince Rare to do something with the IP than chasing after some ghost.

8. Bramsworth

Yeah, they definitely still kept archives of it, as evidenced by what they displayed in their Rare Replay videos. Sadly I don't think they're gonna be convinced to do anything with it as it's incomplete. I've yet to see any game companies put out their cancelled, incomplete games from the past since it doesn't make sense from a business perspective. so I doubt Rare is setting any precedent for that anytime soon. Even if all of us that want to see the game signed a petition or something, I doubt the numbers would be so huge to get them to do anything.

It is indeed chasing a ghost, but with a lot of protos that's the only hope you can latch onto ;)

9. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Some 3d realms prototypes have been bundled with their Steam games.

10. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

Nintendo released a complete Star Fox 2 so anything is possible. Maybe they'll do you a solid and put it up as a bonus for the N64 classic!

11. Bramsworth

Sure would be nice. I didn't know about 3D Realms, but I certainly paid attention to what Nintendo did with Star Fox 2. Only difference is Star Fox was a finished product at the time of its cancellation, while Conker didn't make it as far. I'd email Rare and ask but just typing that already feels pointless :p I can't make a difference myself just asking. Plus they've probably seen all the comments on the Youtube video already anyway.

Also, bump :)