Conker 12 Tales and Ura Zelda. 64DD

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by ma777, Jan 19, 2008.

1. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

1st post!!!!

A never knew this before but there was a second Conkers relesed.:icon_bigg
    Is there any known protos out?

I have heard alot about Ura Zelda too not sure whats real or fake though. Was there two extra temples and did link get a white tunic? Is there any protos of this game?

A blue cart is a cart you can keep erasing and rewriting right?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

second conker? Conker 12 tales was the original and was reworked into bad fur day. No proto is in collectors hands, one is said to be at rare.

As for ura zelda, real. I believe it was just masters quest.

blue cart is rewritable. I dont understand your last question

3. DarthCloud

DarthCloud Fiery Member

I think that he think that Master Quest is a 64DD rom and ask if it's possible to write it to a blue disk.

Unfortunately Master Quest is just a standard N64 rom.

Also there is no know beta 64DD disk witch are Zelda related in other hand than Nintendo one ;)

4. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

Guess i just don't remember conkers that well.

5. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

And the actual Ura Zelda is more then just a Masters Quest. Give the forums a search, no need for people to restate themselves a billion times ;) And enjoy your stay

6. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Conckers was originally a poor 2D SFC/SNES platformer wasn't it? All sickingly cute :Girl: I remember seeing shots of it in an old Super Play magazine.

Yakumo

7. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Actually, it was a Game Boy series, I believe.

8. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

diddy kong racing, then a GBC game which was going to link to 12 tales.

9. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

No I think you were thinking of this [​IMG]

10. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Ah, yes. that's the one. What ever happened to that? Did it ever get a release?

Yakumo

11. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

12. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

There's also a Mega Drive release.

[​IMG]

And a planned, but finally canned, Mr Nutz 2.

[​IMG]

It's said there are some prototypes of this one around there.

13. hrahn

hrahn Robust Member

There was also an Amiga version, I think it was the first in production. The game was originally known as "Timet the flying squirrel".
    Peter Thierolf, of Factor5 - Turrican - fame, worked on the game, the development team was callen "NEON" (didn´t they make Tunnel B5 and Prototype too?). The Amiga version was the base for the conversion to the Mega Drive.
    The SNES version is said to have slightly better graphics, but worse gameplay, whereas the Mega Drive version was apparently a stripped down clone of the Amiga original.

14. Harusame

Harusame Newly Registered

From what I've read, Twelve Tales: Conker 64 was supposed to be the first major game in the series. Rare introduced Conker in Diddy Kong Racing as a way to promote the upcoming game (much like they did with Banjo for Banjo-Kazooie), and then as a sort of companion game to Conker 64 they released Conker's Pocket Tales for the GBC. Pocket Tales was your average cutesy platformer basically, and that's what Conker 64 was supposed to be too. It was virtually a finished game and ready to be released when the development team decided that it would just get lost in the 3D platforming crowd because it was too cute, so they scrapped pretty much the entire project and revamped it into Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Personally, I was rather disappointed to see this, because Twelve Tales looked like such a promising game. I've never thought there was anything wrong with "cute," unless it's like magical unicorns and fairies and stuff. I never was a huge fan of Bad Fur Day.

I also read somewhere that there's thought to be at least an ECTS version of the original Conker 64 in the hands of a collector, but no one knows for sure except him. As for a final version existing at Rare, well...honestly, it probably does exist, but there's no way they're gonna talk about it. I recently emailed Nick Burton, a Rare employee, about another cancelled N64 game of theirs (Dinosaur Planet, which eventually became Star Fox Adventures in a seriously twisted turn of events), and he said that it was between Nintendo and Rare. Actually, he seemed nearly offended that I would even ask, and surprised that I found his email (even though it was like, one of the first things Google spit out at me :p).

Either way, I'm still disappointed at Twelve Tales' departure.

15. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

Wasn't there meant to be another character from Diddy Kong Racing going to have his own game too? He was called Timber the Tiger and I even remember seeing some screenshots

16. Harusame

Harusame Newly Registered

Eh, he might've. Rare is notorious for just dropping stuff entirely. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Timber was supposed to get his own game, but didn't.

17. Soda

Soda Guest

You wouldn't happen to remember where you saw those screenshots would you? I swear I've been looking for some concrete evidence of "Timber 64" for about a year, but I haven't been able to find anything except rumors.

18. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

When Project Dream was in its design phase (later evolving into many other games, primarily Banjo Kazooie), many woodland creatures were designed as a result.

An array of them can be found in Diddy Kong Racing.

Out of the lot, Banjo was firstly chosen to be given a platforming game, early on, replacing the Pirate's original backstory (his picture can be found in the cabin inside the ship at the beach level in BK).

Furthermore, Conker was to be used in a similar fashion to Banjo, but given a slightly more historical theme.

Conker 64 was the first title of the game, and the graphics engine was based directly on that of Banjo Kazooie (it was being developed at a slower pace but at the same time as Banjo from what I recall).

Later on, after the release and critical acclaim that Banjo received, RARE started working on Conker again, giving him a more definitive subject and enhancing the engine along the way - this is about the same time the name was changed to Twelve Tales: Conker 64.

The game was almost (if not entirely) complete, as one of the employees said, but it was felt that it was extremely similar on the one hand to Banjo, and more childish than Banjo at the same time.

Since Banjo Tooie was in development, it was felt that the two titles might overlap and Conker would lose out in the end to the more established Banjo.

Hence, the designers decided to take a very unique approach and make it into what Conker's Bad Fur Day is.

The assets shared between 12 Tales and CBFD are a lot, and you can see that for yourself from screenshots etc.

Ultimately, the game was amazing as it was released, and I don't regret it being changed. It benefitted from Rare's experience on past titles and offers the best graphics and audio ever to be found on an n64 title, a true masterpiece - even running without the expansion pak! (unlike Perfect Dark and DK64 which required it)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  19. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  20. Ryusui

Ryusui Spirited Member

Damn, you have no idea how much I'd love to see Twelve Tales: Conker's Quest. It and Dinosaur Planet, but especially Conker.

It killed me the day they announced BFD. I hoped and prayed it was just an April Fool's joke in horrendously bad taste. But no. BFD was released, the dream was dead, and ever since then it's like the gaming gods have damned them to wander the shelves in mediocrity. (I'm serious. Ever notice how Rare hasn't done a single thing since BFD that was worth a damn?)

That said, I guess it doesn't help things that I have yet to figure out how to get an N64 emulator running on my computer. ^_^;

EDIT: As for Ura Zelda, that was released in Japan, and eventually made it to the U.S. as "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master's Quest". It's only available on a special Gamecube compilation disc that was handed out as a preorder bonus with The Wind Waker.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008