Community Release: Sonic Xtreme

Discussion in 'Sonic Xtreme Release Project' started by ASSEMbler, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

It didn't collect a dime yet to clarify.

If a post saying "hey pm me if you're interested!" is too hard to figure out, then
    I don't know what will work.

The step after getting sixty people to pm me would have been the release of
    the pictures and video to that small group.

But we never got there. This thread has 1800 views yet we only got 30 people to
    actually pm me. I wasn't even asking for money. Just a PM of interest.

Why was it done this way?

If media and pictures were posted it would have:

1. Crashed the server
    2. Slashdotted us into oblivion
    3. Created a giant shitstorm (a bigger one if you could imagine)
    4. Drawn too much attention

So I figured, I'll put it in forum, limit it to the first 60 people who send me a pm,
    and then send out the info.

Read. Pm.

That's all. No complex equations, no flash puzzles, no navajo texts.

Read. Pm.

This isn't QVC home shopping with sonic xtreme on a rotating platter.

I'll call Japan on a 1% chance of getting something rare. The fact that you wouldn't even
    pm me on a chance of getting sonic x (set up by the site admin of the only site to ever have a copy no less) makes me laugh.

I guess that's why I have all the goodies and you have a forum full
    of Secret Sonic Fans and no media.

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Well, all I can say is "way to go you fucking morons !" Yet another chance of something special ruined by outsiders. Next time you have something Kev' just PM us regulars ! Ok? Man if I was rich I would have offered 5000 USD for that ! After all the US Dollar isn't that strong against the yen or especially the pound.

Yakumo

PS: sorry if I sound rude, I don't mean to be but I'm sure you understand how we (the regulars who trust in your word) feel right now.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  3. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

What the 2 posts above said.

Like I mentioned previously, perhaps getting together a private list of members interested in things of this ilk could be done? I for one know I'd be interested in pretty much anything that ever came up in the future, and it would seem to be a way to avoid such hassles.

4. GigaDrive

GigaDrive Enthusiastic Member

I don't want to get involved in any bickering right now, I am just posting to say that I wish ASSEMbler the least amount of stress possible and thank him for all the extremely interesting information he has shared over the years.

5. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

I agree totally Yakumo, this is indeed sad. I can't understand people, read the instructions and apply them. What's difficult about that!!! The rules were crystal clear and in big letters for people with minimal reading capabilities.

Idiots that's all I have to say (I'm rude, I know) we should built asylums for idiots but I let you imagine the size of such buildings.

Anyway... the point is we all lost...

Sabre

6. Rlan

Rlan Guest

You're blaming the outsiders for creating speculation? How is it there fault for not PM-ing Assembler when it made it more expensive for them? Wouldn't it therefore be the regulars fault for not PM-ing in the 22 hours from start to finish? This whole thing was never even posted at SWS2B or Sonic Cult either, and there would be plenty of people there who aren't members here who would certainly pay the fee [though perhaps not the higher fee].

Hell, I only found out about this via a Post on the Gaming-Age forum. I don't constantly come here. That's the only attempt I saw at rallying people up, and people were incredibly skeptical there too.

IMO, it would have gone a LOT quicker had it been mentioned that those who PM with INTEREST of paying said amount would receive the first images of this demo, and posted the reason why you had not posted images in the first place [The Slash-Dotting / Net crash]. All the well Sonic community members here [Rika_chou, IceKnight, Local H] All wanted some more information before.

Even the most BASIC of info [PC or Saturn?] was never replied to. There was no mention of a time limit in the original post either, so how are we to know that we have to PM within that time? All the few Sonic fans here got were arrogant, "We know better than you" replies from Regular Members here.

Everyone is to blame here. Stop blaming the few :|

7. sabre470

And that's where it start to go round and round in circles :thumbsup:...

Sabre

8. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

You seem to not understand like many of the new people here. THIS IS ASSEMBLERS PLACE ! WE ARE HIS GUESTS ! WE FOLLOW HIS RULES ! NO FUCKING MOANING. WHAT HE SAYS GOES ! Now regular members will know that in my 5 years of ASSEMbler I have never written in blocks. That shows how pissed I am at this ! We regular members of ASSEMbler know this. Did you see any of us asking for proof of him having the game? No you bloody didn't because we trust his word. The seller got cold feet due to the amount of unwanted questions and speculation which sooner or later would have ended up leading to him/her.

I really feel like deleting this whole thread to be honest :-(

Yakumo

9. Borisz

Borisz Guest

So instead of 1 guy getting it after which it disappears forever, 0 guys got it and it still disappears forever.

It's not like we would have saw anything out of it either way.

sad sad sad.

10. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

No, instead of everyone getting it, now nobody gets it.

Shouldn't there be a private forum where this sort of thing gets announced?

11. sabre470

I agree!!!

I agree, it's impressive that some people don't understand simple things...

12. liquitt

liquitt Site Soldier

good idea, just like a admin/mod area with the trusted and regular members in it

13. Rlan

Rlan Guest

Then why don't you SAY that? For Fucks sakes, is it so hard? How the hell are people you're trying to rally up going to believe you if they don't know who the hell Assembler is? The Sonic community has BEEN through this sort of shit over and over again, even most of the higher ups have pulled a prank at some point or another! It's Not too hard to say "Sorry, I can't disclose any more information until 60+ people PM me, as the seller wants to make sure that people are willing to pay for such an item! :( :( :(". Hell, we've had practically the same thing done before as a prank on the Sonic GHZ forums by a well known, respected member [for some supposed competition they made up] who just posted a list of people the next day, saying how gullible they are.

And what the hell would a private forum do for you? Eh? Not enough of your own members replied to this NOW, just what sort of difference would it make with even LESS people allowed to know about it?

14. Rabid Peanut-Butter

Rabid Peanut-Butter <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Alright everybody, calm down. What happened, happened. It sucks, but there's nothing we can do about it now. Only look forward and try to correct what went wrong this time.

As for the Private Forum issue (which is looking like a good idea), it would have kept the issue quiet and not scared off the seller in less than 24 hours.

15. Carnivol

Carnivol Dauntless Member

Once again, he asked for people's interest in this, not for people to pm him and give him money right away for it. "Is there interest: yes/no" and "if: yes=50+" (or whatever), then "Okay guys, let's crack open some pig banks"

Anyway, I see people talk so much about "how can we know if we can trust" and so on.
    Well, do some research, instead of just limiting your knowledge to a topic title and the posts within it.

If you'd done the most basic of searching around here, you'd probably notice that this place has been around for quite some time, most regulars are "big names" in the field of stuff like this and this is far from the first time something like this has shown up around here.

And as for the idea of a private forum, I think it sounds nice, but a restricted forum would probably be better. (Evt. only "trusted and regular" members can post), that way, there wont be too much unecessary stuff floating around and probably more people will read things properly.

16. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

If people from your community want to comment on someone, perhaps they should check them out first. This might be a good place to start if you need an indication of his dedication (note: yes, they were bought in bulk).
    I'm sorry you have to put up with that sort of shit. Not something I'd want to be associated with, to be honest - I'm a Sonic obsessive, but one look at the Cult forums and similar and I was out. Not to tell you your business or anything.

You mean no new registrations? The forum would die because no new members could replace the old ones who lost interest/had real life to deal with/whatever else.

17. (How fucking mature. Editting my post. Please, grow the hell up)

Ah, this is what I expected out of such an obscure forum. Very close minded, intolerant residents who most of which are more into doing things in a childish manner like editting posts and insulting than working things out in a reasonable, intelligent debate;

You don't understand why someone wouldn't believe your almighty god, and understand even less why they wouldn't worship him as you do. I can't stand people who suck up to admins on boards, games, anywhere.

Instead, all I get are insults rather than actual counters to my points. "YOU FUCKING MORON HOW DARE YOU NOT BELIEVE THIS AND I'M NOT GOING TO COMMENT ON HOW MUCH OF A SCAM IT LOOKS LIKE BUT YOU SHOULD BELIEVE HIM BECAUSE DUDE IT'S HIM. FUCK NEWB FUCK"

Like I'm any less of a person just because I've never heard of this place before. In fact, that people come from other, larger message boards and register just for this thing should tell you how interested people are in it.

But people are, rightfully, skeptical. There have BEEN scams and ripoffs before, even from so called respected and honorable people. Sure, they may have been ripped a new one from everyone after, but it doesn't change that it was still a scam.

And here's how I know he could've given *some* kind of proof...if he could do it after a horde of PMs, he could've done it at the start.

And think of it this way, which would get more support at E3 or something...A gaming company just *saying* "Hey guys we have an awesome game here it will rock you okay, give us money" or a company saying that, then providing screenshots and videos of said awesome game? If the company went on to complain about people 'failing spectacularly' by not pledging money, would you listen to them at all, under the first circumstances? Is it really a failing of fans, or a failing of the company, in the first case? If they wanted so much support, why didn't they show evidence, right?

Of course, Assembler only posts the reasons he didn't and doesn't after the fact, and then blames it on others. The Sonic community. Can't say I expected any less of elitists. Take a look at yourselves before blaming everyone else; if that's not too hard.

After all, if I linked you to a forum of a guy you'd never heard of offering Sonic Xtreme, if you'd pay $60, yet showed absolutely no evidence he actually had it...would you be so willing, even if the forum *said* he was someone you could so blindly trust? Look at it from other peoples perspectives, before tossing around insults.

Speaking of insults, you may notice I use only a few insults, rather than multiple in a sentence. What do you think that says about me, as opposed to most of you? For those of you mature enough to respond and counter without baseless insults, I thank you. For the rest, grow up.

If this is an opportunity lost forever, it's a failing on everyones part. Assembler for not providing more evidence, to actually build support from people *other* than the tiny forum regulars who trust him so blindly; the forum regulars for not meeting his demands (and ostracizing outsiders who came who *could've* been support), and outsiders for not being gullible and abandoning their money, I guess.

Again, before you flame, realize what you were asking. You were asking that people just hand over money to someone they'd never heard of before, based only on his word and the word of other forum members that they trust him. Sure, *you* may know Assembler, but you need to realize not everyone on the internet does. Would the little that was presented here be enough for you to give out *your* money, if the tables were turned, and you were the one visiting a forum you'd never heard of before?

And obviously you *needed* outsiders, as with the demands of 60 people to pledge for nothing...you needed more than what you had here. Otherwise you would've made it. Instead you didn't come close, and I guarentee you that with evidence the entire internet would've been flocking here...60 people would've been doubled...tripled..

Just think, next time. Logic, not emotions, will get you places.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2006
  18. Rlan

Rlan Guest

Well, when you've got 22 hours, not much can be done :p. The Sonic nut members here KNOW who Assembler was, but they were still skeptical.
    No offense taken, I don't go to the Cult, but the people there tend to have wads of cash lying around for this EXACT purpose :). I run my own site, Secrets of Sonic Team in combatance with it, but my forum is fairly dead in comparison.

19. liquitt

liquitt Site Soldier

oh my god, please shut the fuck up, yakumo is right, everyone with a brain in here is right...piss off

20. Rlan

Rlan Guest

:noooo:

I don't want to be here to fight. I explain why the skeptics are being skeptics, and you reply like that? I'm not just some 10 year old "n00b" as you probably think I am. I'm very much in the collection of crazy gadgets and prototypes as many of you are, I just don't post here.

All I'm saying is that this could have been handled a lot better than it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.