Community Release: Sonic Xtreme

Discussion in 'Sonic Xtreme Release Project' started by ASSEMbler, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madhatter256

madhatter256 Illustrious Member

2. Dot50Cal

Dot50Cal Moderator

Haha he doubts the legitimacy without even knowing who Assembler is. Looks like hes trying to collect info on him as well :lol: Bitter dev anyone?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  3. madhatter256

madhatter256 Illustrious Member

And he was the lead artist/designer lol..

Well I submitted my pledge that I will help out. Now to just sit back and watch the drama unfold....

4. You know you *might* get more of a response if you'd actually give evidence you have what you say you have, rather than asking people to just throw money at you for nothing.

Seriously, 17 people at $60 each is amazing, especially considering you've shown nothing. At all.

So stop whining about how the Sonic community has 'failed spectacularly' because they won't hurl money at your feet when nobody has any real idea what they're getting...

What's the point of holding out like that, anyway? You do realize it only makes you come off as extremely elitist, snobby, and an overall jerk, right? It wouldn't be hurting you at all to release screenshots, videos, *something* that proves you have what you say you have, and that it is also anything like what people are expecting.

Right now this sounds like a scam. It may not be, but you can't expect people to rely on your word alone, especially when so much money is involved, and your word is simply an unknown person from a forum.

And that's what it is. You shouldn't expect more, these forums are self proclaimed 'obscure', and yet you think your word should be enough to reach out to the entire internet and everyones wallet?

You're crazy. Now cough up some evidence, and *then* if you don't get any responses, moan about Sonic community failing.

5. Blur2040

Blur2040 Game Genie

::looks at ASSEMBler's name, look's at name of the site::

It's freaking Assembler. He's run this website in some form for many many years. I can think of only a few people who MIGHT have bigger collections of rare, obscure, and unreleased video game items. Look around the website. See all the fancy devkits? Unreleased games? He owns them. Do you think it's soooo impossible that he might have access to a copy of Sonic Xtreme?

That's how I look at it. It's ASSEMbler. He knows his shit.

I understand your skepticism at this point...but he never said he'd sell it without showing anything, he said he just wanted to see the interest. He asked who would pay for a copy of Sonic Xtreme if he could produce it. He's not asking for you to give him sixty dollars right now...

6. Ah, the almighty Assembler. That means nothing to me, as similarly I don't expect the name Llamaguy to mean anything to you, no matter what achievements he has made.

What HAS happened here, is that Assembler has made an outrageous offer, and has refused to back it up with pictures, videos, screenshots, anything at all; despite that he obviously *could*.

This is akin to people whoring topics for posts before they post more of a story they created. That kind of crap disgusts me; this even more because he's *gotten* people to abide by his demands, and offer him money, yet he still complains.

..And why? What does he gain by refusing to give evidence? He'd have the entire Sonic community at his feet if he'd make this look a little more legit, and show people what they'd be paying for. By stubbornly refusing to show anything, he's severely cutting the support he'll get.

I don't need to tell you Sonic Extreme excites me, after all it is a game Nack was supposed to have a major appearance in...but I'm no fool. I've been around and seen all kinds of things like this fall through, and not work out. Things that actually *had* evidence behind them, yet here I'm supposed to go on a guys word alone?

7. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I've recieved a very good offer from a collector. I'll give another 24 hour period and then compare the results (people who are interested versus offer).

8. Carnivol

Carnivol Dauntless Member

Maybe it's because I don't speak English by native tongue or something, but I honestly don't see where you got that from.
    What I see in this topic is more or less a simple marketting poll thingy:

"would you be interested in product X, yes/no ?"

Where product X = Sonic Xtreme, at cost $60, with a goal of getting 50xYes from the market group targetted, where either the probability of product launch for public will increase more, based on amount of "yes", or evt. price would drop for each single paying/donating/whatever individual if the amount of 50 is crossed.

Besides, I see nowhere where he says he refuses to hold back media/proof as soon as enough interest is shown for the "product".

[edit]
    And just as my mind rolled back on what I wrote, I see I could probably add a little more of what this looks like:

It's either:
    Community shares the expenses for what this originaly cost to get ahold of and gets what's probably the most 'complete' (yet incomplete) version available/possible of Sonic Xtreme

Or:
    Private collector with money gets Sonic Xtreme, along with the bragging rights, and most likely keeps it on his shelf for all eternity 'til his disc stops working and his HD with a backup stops spinning.

9. rika_chou

rika_chou <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Sent my PM already. Nothing I can do now but wait and hope.

10. DeadperfecT

DeadperfecT Gutsy Member

Status update: We're at 30, half way there. We need more interest... you've got nothing to lose by saying you're interested.

11. Szczepaniak

Szczepaniak Robust Member

I've visited this site for some time now, and on occasion spoken with ASSEMbler. He is a leading authority on such things and without doubt someone with more than enough good reputation to be implcitly trusted. Proof or no proof. He has also been extremely altruistic and humble regarding this site and various goings on, and has always been happy to speak with members and answer questions. I for one am in his debt for the information he happily shared.

Of course if you've only come to this forum for Sonic Xtreme, then you might not realise the good nature of the long term members here.

More importantly, didn't ASSEMbler say a while ago that he wasn't well, due to overwork and stress? And yet he still decides to act as mediary for an unreleased game, which when there was a demo previously, resulted in near chaos because of people's hysteria?

That's a brave thing to do, and quite honourable. Since I'm sure if he'd wanted to, he could have avoided moutains of stress and privately sold it to a known collector, without even telling anyone. And yet people show animosity because of this public showing of good will? To be honest, I don't know why he puts himself through such hassle.

But I'm thankful none the less, and appreciate these things being offered to the community.

Here's hoping this all turns out well.

Come on guys, show some support!

12. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

Hum...

It's always sad to see good ideas being bashed away, come on Kevin is not obliged to get the thing released, $60 per person is nothing, if it gets in the hand of another collector there's 99.99% you'll never see this ever.

Just think about it, in your little heads!!! (at least for 2 seconds) I think after years Kevin has been running the site and forums for us, a little bit of trust from everyone is the minimum we could offer him!!! Right?

There's always a lot of people claiming they know shit loads about Sonic Xtreme on the web, well Kevin seems to be deep in this industry, so if he says he has a proto of Sonic Xtreme it's because he has.

So stop being little chickens...please...

Sabre

13. Hawanja

Hawanja Ancient Deadly Ninja Baby

PM sent, I hope we come up with the cash, becasue I want to play this to see what all the commotion is about. Like Hatter said, give it a few days at least. I only just saw this thread now and it's already four pages long, I'm sure within the next few days most of the other regular members will get in touch.

BTW Assmbler, thanks for thinking of us (your members) when it came to this game. It doesn't come accross much, but we appreciate the trouble you and others on the site go through to obtain and release this stuff so we can have a piece of it. At least I do.

To the noobs who registered just to fuck up yet another Sonic release, and all the people talking shit about us on other boards:

Look people, I know you really, really, really like Sonic the Hedgehog. But like it seems to me that whenever we get close to getting a copy of this game (or any other unreleased holy grail for that matter ) released in some fashion you people decend like a plauge of locusts and cause all this drama. We almost had it last time till you people came in and fucked it up. This board has a reputation for being the "nice" video-game related board, but let me tell you dumbasses something - If it was my board I would have shut the thing down a long time ago, becasue of you fucking people keep ruining it for everybody! Do you have something to contribute to the conversation? Do you have some piece of super secret info that we need to know? No? Then shut the fuck up. Stalk the thread, read it to see what's happening, but cut it the fuck out with your speculating.

Like this asshole, Knack the weasel:

Who invited your goldbrickin' ass to the conversation? If you were a part of the community and not some punk who registered just becasue he thought he could get his greedy hands on a copy of Sonic Extreme you'd know that the people here hold honesty above everything else. The members of this board hold each other to a higher standard. We do not rip each other off. We don't make claims behind crap that we do not have. We do not treat other people like everyone else on the fucking internet treats people, i.e. like shit. But everytime something like this happens you bastards show up out of nowhere and monkey wrench it all to hell. So fuck all of you, we don't need to prove anything to you people.

I'm sick and tired of you little bitches screwing up our business. You want a copy of this game? Then keep your fucking nose out of the deal until it goes through! Register to the board and contribute to the discussion. Get a healthy amount of posts under your belt. Then maybe when you've earned the trust of the other members they might decide to let you in the next time a proto comes around.

God damn I hate people.

Mods, feel free to delete this post if you think it goes too far. Last thing we need is another flame war.

14. liquitt

liquitt Site Soldier

Amen to Hawanja's posting.
    Sad to see this getting fucked up...although i wish all those nice people here (most of them long-time members) paying for this and really wanting the game the best of luck to get this done!

15. ASSEMbler

It seems there's a lot of fallout already. Some of it quite nasty, just like the last auction.

16. sabre470

sabre470 Site Supporter 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015

Maybe new registrations should be restricted while doing these kind of exercises that would prevent any intruder to mess around.

We are a community of unreleased game fans and this kind of things should posivitely received. If you are in the business of criticizing this kind of events then you maybe are in the wrong forum.

Sabre

17. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

I'm relatively new here, and whilst Hawanjas language is perhaps a little fruitful for me so early in the day (jk) his sentiments are spot on.

I've come across nothing but open friendly trusting souls here, who are prepared to share info/finds etc. I hope this potential doesn't get flushed like a stale turd bacause others don't appreciate the vibe. If I was behind this I wouldn't put up with any crap such as I'm reading here. Some of you people should be ashamed.

(OT slightly..but perhaps in general someone, Assembler maybe, could get together a list of members here who would be interested in any form of dump for any potential title on any system. That way at least a pool of members could be readily identified if anything like this was ever mooted again, which might make it easier and more pleasant to pursue. Just a thought)

18. ASSEMbler

Please read this carefully.

My client was warned ahead of time that a large amount of attention would be
    created by said sale. Even through a third party buffer (myself) was in place,
    the seller feels uncomfortable and fears for their job and has therefore
    instructed me to sell the item to the current highest single bidder.

Why?

The bidder does not wish to release and values privacy.

The seller has lost interest in a larger more drawn out effort as it
    may constitute large scale piracy.

I respect the wishes of all of my confidential clients.
    I do not second guess them, apply pressure or make decisions for them.

I had attempted to keep a further 24 hour window open but the client declined.

Therefore this sale is closed.

All I will say from a personal point of view is this: Such a high profile item will inevitably surface for the every day man to experience.

On another note, the unreleased acclaim n64 / 64DD game release is on
    target, and unlike this item, it will be completely free. You can read about that effort here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2006
  19. Warakia

Warakia Beyond Cool

This seems crazy to me, I jumped at this and I don't see why people are holding back.

Basically you register interest on the premise that -
    A - What ASSEMbler has said thus far is true
    B - That when the details are released they will be worth shelling out some cash for.

It is only 60 dollars. I spent that yesterday on a good lunch! It is hardly a big deal considering what this could potentially turn out to be.

Now I have a lot of questions about this, but they can wait. For now it is about pulling together and getting something released we all want to see. Anyway why the hell should ASSEMbler be out of pocket for something he does not have to share? He has been kind enough to give us a good chance that we would never usually have been given - lets not mess this up, or let others mess it up for us.

EDIT - posted just as ASSEMbler did...

20. Rlan

Rlan Guest

The problem isn't that we can trust Assembler, it's if we could trust the SELLER himself.

Both I and RedEye got e-mails of the original demo seller when he wished to sell the demo, or see what he wanted to do with it. Both of us pushed him to at least give us a picture of the demo [which he did], and eventually sent a very few of us a video of the demo in action [which has yet to be released. Doesn't Assembler have a disc with the Images / Videos from the winner on it?]. Once the demo became public knowledge, we were able to mention that we did infact have proof of this demo, and detailed what the demo was, and how much of it was there [ie; very little :p]

Now Assembler here came out with this topic where the only thing known is that the game is Sonic X-Treme, has no music, and is near completion.

This is highly skeptical, especially to Secret Sonic fans, because Chris Senn [Art Director of the game nad basically played HUGE parts in it's production, and was there when it died], has clearly stated that a near-complete version NEVER existed. He has also released a HUGE amount of Temp music which he wrote for a multitude of levels, so why would there be NO music? Even the incredibly early Sonic demo had music from Sonic X-Treme.

Furthermore, Assembler himself never mentioned that HE has seen any proof of this, and unlike the original demo sale, has nobody else to back up the claim. With the original demo, I was able to pull together a few "higher ups" in the Sonic Secrets community to show proof that it was real.

This process ended up getting over $2000 in donations, headed up by other people in the community. If the seller could possibly give an OUNCE of worth to it, you would see a hell of a lot more interest in the subject. Level names, moves, length, SOMETHING! Currently nobody wants to put down cash for what is essentially nothing at this point.

This was the wrong way to do this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.