Common games that are too expensive

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by proarturs, Sep 4, 2014.

1. proarturs

proarturs The force is with me

Sometimes I wonder, why are these common games so expensive ?
    Tekken tag tournament 2 for the PS3. The cheapest price on ebay ( right now) $28. That's brand new, but you rarely see it used.
    Skate 3 for XBOX 360. There is only one used copy for sale at the moment ( on Ebay UK). The cheapest you can get a new copy is £15 and even that's the ''classics'' version.

Share what you think are common games, that are overpriced.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. Tripredacus

Tripredacus Peppy Member

Skate 3 is a cult game due to its amazingly bad glitches.

3. Billden55

Billden55 Robust Member

I hate how some of the retro games cost more then they should. Like NES games or SNES games.

4. proarturs

Even if it's glitchy it's still an awesome game. Still, it sold in millions and is common.
    I really don't see a reason why there isn't a Skate 4.

5. l1nuz

l1nuz Member

About Skate 3 I have heared that there is actually a high demand due to a video of this pewdiepie on yt, which got a lot of views. Because of this EA starts reprinting it.

6. blotter12

blotter12 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Magician Lord for the MVS is common and the price has gone up very sharply recently. I partly understand why, but it still sucks :/

All the 16 bit TMNT beat em ups are over priced... Maybe when the fanfare from the movie dies down...

7. proarturs

Super smash bros for the N64 is one of the best selling N64 games. It's also one of the most expensive games, but I guess that makes sense, since it's highly demanded.

8. Nintendo64fx

Nintendo64fx Member

I remember how Super Mario 64 DS and Mario Kart DS were always priced at £25.00 in the shops. Even a few years after their release!

9. artillery_ghosted

artillery_ghosted Gutsy Member

That happens to this day with 1st party Nintendo games. Lots of games that are popular with children become expensive when they grow up into adults and fool themselves into thinking they were perfect.

10. Nintendo64fx

Nintendo64fx Member

^Too true!

I've just finished Spiderman 2 on the Xbox for the first time in about ten years. The combat is fun but altogether it is rather lackluster!

There is something about being a child which makes memories better.

11. lolzvid

lolzvid Peppy Member

Most N64, SNES and NES cartridges are overpriced by here (example: $60 for SM64, $40 for SMB3, $80 for SMK).

Oh, the 3DS and DS games are still very expensive, too.

12. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

Any first party Nintendo game I feel is overpriced, especially when they sell well into the millions. Where are those games? How wasteful are Americans that Mario World becomes so scarce that it costs $15-25 than a chill $10? Sega games are nice because I can get a complete boxed Sonic 1 or 2 for a reasonable price.

Recently, I find it funny that the Orange Box on PS3 is worth $25, when the games can be had on Steam for less than half that on occasion.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  13. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

In Japan the SFC TMNT Turtles in Time has been very expensive for many years. It cost way more now than it did when it was brand new. I wouldn't say it's rare at all but the demand has always been quite high for that game. Paying 7000 yen for a nice boxed copy is very common.

14. onza120

onza120 Site Supporter 2014

Resident Evils on GameCube, holy shit they are expensive. Lucky i got a XenoGC (Not like i'm going to be download it. Kappa)

15. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

Pokemon. Almost no game stores sell any of the main series games for under $20, even though they're regularly the best selling games on the systems.

Hell some places charge $40 for Red/Blue/Yellow.

Oh, also I know I've seen people charge over $20 for Super Mario Bros loose.

Most every sports game that's 1-2 years old is still between $10-20

16. theid

theid <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Earthbound

17. artillery_ghosted

Earthbound is moderately rare no? The game isn't too special if you overlook the zaniness, it's cult fanbase inflated the price with their effusive praise.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  18. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64 or your money back

Super Metroid but it's all a popularity contest

I'm more bothered by all the shops that sell used games at a fixed price. If a store has two copies of Super Mario Bros. 3, one in perfect shape, and the other with 80% of the label torn off that someone wrote the name 'Bradley' on with a Sharpie, why are they both $20?

The most common response I get from indie game shop people: "Well, Mario is Mario... (Zelda is Zelda, etc)" as I shake my head. I want to hear someone say "Well, Mushihimesama Futari is Mushihimesama Futari" at least once.

19. artillery_ghosted

Collectors are the ones who put priority on label condition. The majority simply want a decent condition device. The shop employees are talking about the large demand for those IPs. If you want to see more enthusiasm for esoteric games go to places where the hardest of the core mingle. Try introducing friends to those games too so it's less of a popularity contest.

20. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

It's not super rare. There's definitely rarer SNES games that are less than $80 for a loose cart. The only way I could fathom paying more than $100 for it is if it's complete, but those are so bloody expensive.