[Code Source] Mr Nutz 2 MD

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Clad-, Feb 7, 2009.

1. cixxx

cixxx Member

thx alot for your answer, i will try that out when im back home from work.

[​IMG]

i always get that error when i want to update the zoom grafics, even when i use the original files. you can only see that error when you minimize CED with the button in the upper right corner after done it (in CED itself it looks like it went correct).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. p1pkin

p1pkin Active Member

ohh, I see this wont work this way

try another one:
    1. run CygnusED
    2. run new command line window (swith to Workbench screen, hold RMB -> Workbench -> Execute command -> enter "cli" and press Ok)
    3. execute from Amiga Shell window update script:
    work:projects/megadrive
    rx updatefile
    3. switch to CygnusED screen and rebuild needed files as was described earlier

I tried this and it works, at least I not see Resource errors

3. cixxx

cixxx Member

yeah that way the creating of the new grafic files work, but they still dont appear in the game after i do the make_karte and build the rom. of course i deleted the files in the final folder before doing that.

4. p1pkin

p1pkin Active Member

uhh. probably need to do something more.
    just one more step - after "Zoom -> Update Graphics" also need "Zoom -> Update Work-RAM"

mnlogo.png

5. TEOL

TEOL Rising Member

Would be fun for someone to take the Timet images from the mocks and make the original Timet version as well if the baddies are the same either with the AMIGA or MD sources.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  6. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

The enemies were supposed to be the same or roughly the same according to the Timet prototype screenshots that there are around. Only the main character is substantially different.

http://www.unseen64.net/2009/05/10/mr-nutz-timet-amiga-beta/

As I find the Timet character to be somewhat lackluster, I am personally more interested in having a renamed "Mr. Nutz 2" version rather than that. Of course, assuming we will not be having Peter Thierolf's final build of the game, which is already adressed by that name.

7. cixxx

cixxx Member

yeah that way its working for the zoming logo. atm im trying to chance the start logo before the blue scrolling background, looks like its saved somewere else, its still the old one atm.

i have found the other logo.

its stored in Messages_IFF in the \hd0\Work\projects\megadrive\Message\Grafics folder

but its saved in a strange colour palette, after changing something in it and than using CygnusED to rebuild it i got no logo at all before the blue scrolling background :-d

what tool do you use to convert the files back to .iff? im editing the files in .bmp format because thats alot easier to handle than, maybe my files go corrupt when saving them back to .iff

8. p1pkin

p1pkin Active Member

I use native Amiga gfx editor - Deluxe Paint, so where was no any iff-bmp-iff conversions, image was opened and edited and then saved in the same format.

9. cixxx

cixxx Member

this hole grafic editing is a pain in the ass. with dpaint im really really slow (compared to photoshop), so i found a compromis using them both.

zooming title screen is finished now:

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  10. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

That looks great. I hope the same can be done with the options menu logo.

11. kikendo

kikendo Active Member

If you read my messages above,I am showing my NTSC-J unit running the ROM just fine. No problem at all. I have no 50/60Hz switch so I don't know what will happen if I put it in 50Hz mode.

Are you 100% sure you don't have one of the asian MDs that were sent to Brasil? those *might* report as PAL-J (though I don't know for sure as I don't have one). Sorry if it sounds stupid but just checking, because your problem is odd and as I remember those asian units were just like the japanese ones but with this slight modification.

12. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I think I figured it out. On a quick Gens+ test, the region lock screen occurs under Japanese with 50hz. That "weird" combo it's said Sega didn't release officially.

13. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

No. I have an European Mega Drive with both region and Hz mods done to it. I had that region lockout screen by using the same JAP + 60Hz combination that allows me to play region locked Japanese games (and I mean Japanese games which ONLY accept the NTSC-J region, not those which have dual NTSC-J and PAL compatibility because of being sold also in other Asian markets), so it's definitely the NTSC-J region what's preventing me to boot the game, not the unofficial PAL-J region. The PAL-J region also shows the lockout screen, true, but with horizontal borders scretching the image because of being displayed in 50hz, which is not my case because my photo was done to a 60hz full screen image with no borders at all (though it's hard to see from the photo I posted, but I can do a better one if it is necessary).

Now that you sait, I certainly had an Asian Mega Drive back in the early nineties. Not sold in Brazil though, but sold in Europe. This was due to the fact that, since it was also a PAL version of the console, it was imported by certain markets and sold substantially cheaper than the regular European Mega Drive models. But I don't have it any longer because it broke out long ago. However, I can tell you it was the same PAL system that was sold in Asia, not some PAL-J variation. I know this because, had that been a PAL-J console, then games like Streets of Rage would have displayed the Japanese Bare Knuckle title with Japanese textscreen because of the console using the JAP language mode rather than the ENG language mode, which was not the case from my own experience having that and other similar games back then. You can test that on any emulator allowing the PAL-J region. I don't think that was ever used in any official release of the console done anywhere.

14. p1pkin

p1pkin Active Member

okay, here is some source code

as you can see lockout screen shown only in the case console have MODE = 0 (made for use in Japan) and VMODE = 1 (PAL)

15. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Incorrect modified consoles can do strange things. I suppose it's not impossible you found a hybrid mode where the console draws and outputs 60hz video, yet reports 50hz to game software running. That'd let unoptimized PAL region lock games play at full speed.

16. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

If that's the case, then no game coded with NTSC-J region exclusivity would work with this output, showing the region lockout message instead. Pulseman for example, that one only accepts the NTSC-J region defaulted to run, and the game (original unmodified game cartridge) runs fine on my console when I put the JAP + 60hz (NTSC-J) output.

Makes sense to me. I suppose that VMODE = 1 (PAL) is the unused JAP + 50hz region?

17. cixxx

cixxx Member

yeah it only has a lock when yout try to boot it up in 50hz jap ntsc, a combination that does not exist without modificated mega drives.

18. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

In my case the lock is also present in 60hz JAP NTSC display, which theorically is the MODE = 0 (made for use in Japan) p1pkin is refering to.

By the way, did you manage to finish your Mr. Nutz 2 title mod?

19. TEOL

TEOL Rising Member

It was always a European game so it's expected not to work on a Japanese setup properly anyway unless you do a rapid switch change trick between UK to Jap and from 50hz to 60hz when the SEGA logo has gone quickly.

Anyway I wonder if any of these building tricks they used can also be used to port SEGA-16 arcade sources from the zip files for the arcades onto a Megadrive taking this porting thing to the next level.

Another thing I would like to see from this being made making this new AMIGA to Megadrive porting thing becoming a possible reality now thanks to this is AMIGA games you can browse the disk that are not available on the MD being available to play on the MD after using the same method.

Of course comprise has to be made for the music though as the mod files of a game would have to be converted to 8-bit 22Khz Stereo PCM for the proper AMIGA version of the music to be able to work on the SEGA PCM chip which that bit can be done on a PC but all this amazing stuff thanks to source file program building this Mr. Nutz 2 game on an AMIGA I would think makes it possible to port proper AMIGA games over too if only those Russians let the full secret out of how they did it. lol.

I'd bet we all would attempt to make AMIGA to Megadrive conversions ourselves most definitely if they put out their full step by step secret instructions set of how they did it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  20. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Well if it's working for some Japanese setups yet not all, as user comment suggests, we've overlooked something.