[Code Source] Mr Nutz 2 MD

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Clad-, Feb 7, 2009.

1. p1pkin

p1pkin Active Member

Game was compiled and works fine.
    BTW, original source archive is complete, and have all necessary parts to build the game, except needed devtools for Amiga - Devpac, OMA assembler and linker from SAS C.

Here is the rom http://www.sendspace.com/file/fy4kn8
    nutz2.png

Happy Easter!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. olivieryuyu

olivieryuyu Robust Member

:victorious: Thx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  3. Weinflames

Weinflames Spirited Member

Absolutely awesome! :O I'm going to give it a try!

4. Tempest

Tempest Active Member

Awesome! Cool! Thx!!!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  5. angryswede

angryswede Rising Member

Wow! Thanks!!!
    Anyone had the time to try it with an everdrive?
    Also, is this a PAL release as mega drive is mentioned in op?

6. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

Works perfectly.

It's region free, don't worry about that at all. This is a non-final beta since there's no logos and it's still named Mr. Nutz: Hoppin' Mad (same as the Amiga version) rather than Mr. Nutz 2 like the final version of the game.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  7. angryswede

angryswede Rising Member

I'm curious if it runs in 50hz or 60hz i.e. PAL or NTSC.

8. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

It depends solely on the region of your console. There's no region protection in the game preventing you to boot it in either 50hz or 60hz.

9. TEOL

TEOL Rising Member

It's labeled a bit incorrectly though should be called Mr Nutz - Hoppin' Mad (Europe) (Proto) I believe as Mr Nutz games are European being made by Ocean and it's a recompiled Prototype rather than an unlicensed pirate.

I would probably say it's a late one of the betas they made as well because Mr.Nutz 2 was an early name for it as this is the final AMIGA games title which makes it the correct final name of the game before they were going to ship it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  10. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

No, it's on the contrary. Mr. Nutz 2 was going to be the final name for the Mega Drive version.

[​IMG]

This is an earlier revision so that's why it's still portraying the original Amiga name of Mr. Nutz: Hoppin' Mad. The final release of the game, which is kept by the main programmer, already features the Mr. Nutz 2 title.

[​IMG]

And I agree with you on the labelling. This was compiled by a Russian romhacker so, since they are very used to dump unlicensed pirates, this was probably done on a similar basis. Should be like you said, not only because this was indeed an European game, but also because it was confirmed to be released only in Europe.

11. p1pkin

p1pkin Active Member

I am agree too, (Europe) (Proto) is right label.
    This is not final sources of the game, most recent files dated by July 1994, but the game was to be released much later.
    Well, I'm not romhacker, but hobbie emulator programmer (Demul, a bit of MAME, etc) and in the far past have some programming skills on Amiga.
    Several days ago I accidentally saw a post on a russian forum about this game, and was very surprised that no one has made ​​a working rom of this game.
    So, I made a build environment for it under WinUAE (too lazy to use my old good Ami :) ), figured out how build scripts works, corrected it a bit, rebuilded level-resources, compiled game engines, build the rom, and in result we all have a fully working (I hope) game.

12. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

Sorry, didn't know how to address you properly. Many thanks for your highly appreciated effort, by the way.

Yeah, this is definitely not the final revision of the game. That's the Mr. Nutz 2 prototype which is kept by Peter Thierolf. But I'm surprised this source is dated mid-1994, that's even before the release of the Mega Drive version of Mr. Nutz 1 (late 1994). Maybe Ocean put the conversion on hold in order to port and release Mr. Nutz 1 first, and then this one after, instead of just releasing Mr. Nutz 2 (still Mr. Nutz: Hoppin' Mad by then) like it happened for the Amiga.

Is it possible to do minor hacks to the source like inserting the Mr. Nutz 2 logo and also the Ocean and Neon introductory logos of the Amiga version? So this could be a little closer to what would be the finished product (or Peter Thierolf's prototype to that matter).

13. TEOL

TEOL Rising Member

You're probably right about the Mr. Nutz 2 name thing at the moment there is just the AMIGA levels when the text at the start of the topic said there were more so this one really is the finished AMIGA version just ported at the moment with the richer colours as expected and it's 3 button now but all the help still says the AMIGA press fire which doesn't help you on that flying level as there is a different button system.

I'm lucky that I kept the uncut version of the source code as it ended up being downed so now I know about emu land doing this revision I can post the Mr Nutz. 2 version on their forum to do.

Just posted and hoping for an answer from them. Would help if it was an actual Russian posting that version of the code on there.

Maybe someone who is Russian can translate the text for me so they will definitely have a go at the proper Nr Nutz. 2 and the possibly different Ocean version of Turrican 3 as well?

Wesker. I have also Subbed to your YouTube @WeskerSega which would hopefully give you an extra incentive for you to start posting videos again. Loved your soundtrack of the AMIGA version. Hoping you can do the SEGA soundtrack with the current released SEGA version as well.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  14. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

Yeah, I can do it. I'll look into it soon.

15. kikendo

kikendo Active Member

The levels are not the Amiga levels, actually. It's a very different game from my quick run through World 1. There's also some removed features, like, the first boss doesn't look nowhere anywhere as cool as the Amiga one which used mode7-like effects.

This is the debug screen I get with this ROM on my NTSC Japanese Megadrive:
    [​IMG]

Maybe it helps someone out. This appears on first boot, after a reset it's gone.
    The machine is set to NTSC/USA by means of a Megakey device, I could try it without the Megakey and see what's up.

Also: the game is way too fast on NTSC machines. I am sure this is intended to be played on a 50Hz system only because it becomes quite unplayable as it is. The main problem is the main character advancing a little ahead of the middle of the screen when it runs, something that was a problem on the Amiga in my opinion but not as much since that run at 50Hz. At 60Hz this becomes very, very annoying.

Would be awesome to see teh final version of this game pop up eventually!

16. TEOL

TEOL Rising Member

You have to do this trick for it to work on real hardware on a SEGA Everdrive or similar.

This hex is because it's a PAL game and if you choose to play it on real hardware it's optimised to play in 60hz via emulation straight away but it isn't on real hardware it's weird but thats how this game works.

1) Start the game off in 60hz NTSC mode this hex rubbish comes up.

2) Switch to 50hz and press restart.

3) Switch to 60hz as the game boots.

4) Press restart and it should run fine with it's proper non sped up music and in full screen 60hz.

Yep unless you have a PAL or Modded console you are screwed for playing this on hardware unless if Megakey ever gets fixed properly.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  17. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

Yeah, there's no overhead bonus level (got replaced by a shoot 'em up bonus level) and raytraced tunnel level anymore. Such a shame, because Neon was very similar to Factor 5 in terms of technical skills and I think they could have reproduced all those effects on the Mega Drive with a little more effort (or maybe budget).

It's very similar to what happened with Mr. Nutz 1 in its transition from the SNES to the Mega Drive.

18. Svetlana

Svetlana Newly Registered

interestingly, I have tried to compile these sources since they were released in 2009. This was my most successful attempt, which isn't saying much (file info window for date confirmation):

nutzrom.png

either way congratulations to p1pkin for managing to compile this before me.

19. p1pkin

p1pkin Active Member

Yes, it is possible to build game with different logo.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/hu4uyz
    This is original logo, you can modify it.

20. TEOL

TEOL Rising Member

Yeah, but we don't want that. What we want is the full source being done with the SEGA.whatever the extension was file from the build that was done already to preserve the proper final Mr. Nutz 2 Beta.

A title screen hack isn't worth the bother but the proper final beta is.

Edit: I made a followup post to the initial post I made yesterday at emu-land. Hopefully they can have a crack at it now that I've posted what we would like attempted which is if those 2 missing files are in the one they built copy them files only over the the Beta 2 to have an almost 1:1 of the final Beta.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012