Chihiro on XBOX

Discussion in 'Chihiro Development' started by Dabman, Mar 14, 2010.

1. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

I'd have to say yes at least for VC3 on a 128MB memory upgraded modded Xbox:

The lightgun has to be the proper type for your TV set - I think the original requires a CRT not LCD.

The newer lightgun, an EMS Top Gun III, that Floydzabarber uses in the video works with an LCD set. Actually, the EMS Top Gun III supports all screens types: LED, LCD, Plasma, Projector, and CRT.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    americandad and Jord9622 like this.
  2. nonosto

nonosto Dauntless Member

Virtua cop 3 run only with component cable. I dont why. Only EMS Top Gun III lightgun run with XBOX and HDTV, but slight shift of the sight but impossible to fix it because test mode crash for calibration. Playable but not sharp.
    Ghostsquad run with all cbale but the shit is too large....same problem for calibration.....

3. cangarujack

cangarujack Newly Registered

ok...these games are a mess on xbox....and is possible found a chihiro hardware and use it on TV??? for VC3 and GS?
    Or someone that can be doing one for me?

4. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

I have a Debug Xbox with 128MB and Virtua Cop3 and Ghost Squad. Both games do work fine with a controller, but it seems there is no lightgun support.

Has anyone tried the games with classic lightguns that were designed for CRTs?

5. Floydthebarber

Floydthebarber Rapidly Rising Member

I have and they do not work.

6. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

These games use projection TVs with mirrors. For that to work with lightguns they use the same theory of operation as the cursor of the Nintendo Wii. A pair of infra red led bars are installed on the corners of the display in a L shape which the gun tracks to allow the game to calculate the aim.

7. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

I wouldn't expect it to work - the arcade lightgun is connected via the analog inputs on the JVS I/O board - and on a retail Xbox neither the JVS IO nor the Cypress USB MCU it's connected to in the Chihiro exist.

8. TriMesh

Just for reference, this is the way it's hooked up in the arcade configuration.

The small board at the front is the JVS I/O board - the controls (including the light gun) plug into that 60 pin connector at the front. The X and Y positions are simply fed in as analog voltages from the light gun board. The blue USB type cable is the signal from the JVS board t to the interface board (despite using USB connectors, it's using RS-485 signalling) - the board on the upper right is the Sega interface board that's built inside the Chihiro - it's connected to two of the Xbox USB ports that normally go to the controls - one is used to access the settings EEPROM (which is why test mode crashes when run on a retail board) and the other goes to the JVS IO and the other cabined wiring (which plugs into that DIN style connector at the bottom via a filter board).

The other two ribbon cables from the Xbox board (IDE and LPC port) connect to the DIMM module via a connector on the other side of the interface board. There are also a couple of other jumper cables that aren't in this photo - one goes from the Xbox board power to some Molex connectors on the interface board and the other jumps between the video out on the Xbox board and the connector at the top right of the interface board for the video signal.

ChihiroHookup.jpg

Syclopse and HI_Ricky like this.
  9. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

But it has been done. Videos of a couple of dudes playing one of the two games with a third party (EMS) light gun exist on youtube.

10. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

Thanks for your feedback guys. So I have to rely on my gamepad,

Unfortunately Virtua Cop 3 always places the cursor in the middle of the screen when I let go the analog stick. That makes the game really difficult to play. Does anyone know if it's possible to change this behaviour?

Furthermore are there any patches available for Chihiro games that may add lightgun or mouse support?

11. TriMesh

It's possible there is some kind of support left over from the development process - all I'm really saying is that there is no way you can make a consumer light gun look like the arcade one because it's connected in a completely different manner, so any support that might exist is going to be on a per-title basis.

The other problem is that the lack of the interface board and the settings EEPROM it contains will stop the test mode from working, and that's how you access the gun calibration menu. It might be interesting to plug my Chihiro interface board into my 128MB modded retail Xbox and see what happens with that.

12. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Jeez, I'm a dummy. Virtua Cop 3 has already been confirmed to work with the EMS gun in this very thread:

Syclopse likes this.
  13. nonosto

nonosto Dauntless Member

the best way is re driect to a folder in xbox hdd via an update of chihiro launcher...easy to say....

14. mdmx

mdmx Familiar Face

btw, I've just noticed that you can control the cursor with the D-pad in Virtua Cop 3. When using the D-pad the cursor does not auto center.

Furthermore you can speed up the cursor movement by holding L-trigger (medium speed) or R-trigger (fast speed).

Syclopse likes this.