Chihiro on XBOX

Discussion in 'Chihiro Development' started by Dabman, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Dabman

Dabman Spirited Member

Hi i found several pics of Chihiro motherboard, looks like this same on Dev Kit

so can i reflash XDK motherboard with dump bios from Chihiro?

2. Tyler

Tyler Enthusiastic Member

I think i remember hearing about this being done actually, but it not working right without the other board and such.

oo new smiles :cur_sonic::flamethrower::gravedigging:

3. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

At the risk of digging up an almost dead thread, the answer is no. I heard rumours that it was potentially possible, but I've taken a couple of Chihiro motherboards to pieces and you are lacking way to much of the hardware to get the Dev board to do anything.

4. lucas93

lucas93 Spirited Member

Random question: what's Chihiro? A google search didn't turn up anything useful for me.

5. pitsunami

pitsunami 3DO maniac

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  6. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Three of the games (HoTD3, Crazy Taxi 3, Outrun 2) got XBox ports. Not sure how arcade perfect they are mind you. I'm sure some poking at those could give you an idea at how feasible it would be to run them on the XBox (see: not really). Though it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to code up an XBox emulator and use it as a starting point for Chihiro.

7. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

Chihiro is a GD-Rom equipped XBOX with much more memory. Secured a la standard SEGA flavour, similar to Tri-Force etc.

8. Parris

My old photobucket account developed issues and I had to pull all the images, but I recently discovered an HDD will every console / dev unit and arcade board I've owned on it. I may take the 12 or so hours it would take to upload them to Photobucket and reapply them to threads I had posted. I've got some good shots of the Chihiro for example.

The Chihiro comes equipped with custom PCBs attached to the initial Dev board, so it's like every other arcade unit, you simply cannot expect a retail piece of software to run on it and vice versa. For example the Chihiro employs a security dongle fed DIMM board with 512Mb / 1Gb onboard. A retail Xbox is 64Mb and Dev 128Mb.

I had one here for about 6 or 7 months running Ghost Squad.

P.S. If you ever get a Chihiro title like Outrun 2 Special Tours running on a retail or debug Xbox let me know. You'll save me about £700+

Mistawes likes this.
  9. wombat

wombat SEGA!

In theory you should be able to run a -hacked from security, if thats possible- Chihiro game on a debug Xbox, as long as you have sufficient memory so the h/w matches. Only problem you have then; I/O-board. So then your back at square one, becouse you can't actually play the game :p. Plus probally the game won't boot becouse the I/O board isn't attached.

BTW the dimmboard is only used for data, not memory. So 1GB dimmboard is so you can load up an 1GB image.

10. Serantes

Serantes Peppy Member

I really think that some games should work on regular debug xbox, virtua cop 3 runs on a regular xbox (retail machine with modchip) but gets hanged (controlls are mapped to regular xbox controller)
    I never looked more at it as i dont have a debug xbox with extra ram, but i really think that virtua cop3 should run. The only mystery there is to extract files from the chihiro image that has different layout than xbox1 or 360 partitions :p

11. splith

splith Resolute Member

You'd need to remove all coding that searches for and checks the security chip for them to run, else they do NOT run.

12. Serantes

Serantes Peppy Member

it seems that you dont really know what you are talking about

let me explain it again

I launched virtua cop 3 in a regular xbox1 (retail one with with a modchip)
    tere are two xbes, one for game and another for test mode, testmode one works fine, all inputs are mapped to regular xbox controllers.
    regular game xbe runs aswell, you can enter credits and go to level select screen, once you choose a stage game crashes, what causes that ? Prolly RAM, but who knows, security chip is handled by segaboot (a separated xbe located in the media board) there is no security chip handling on game xbe

13. splith

splith Resolute Member

I'm quite sure there is, because it's based off the NAOMI architecture, and I've got a full NAOMI2 GD system with 3 games, all of which include security checks on the game (boot the game and remove the security chip and you get a game-like message halting execution).

You've tested one game, out of how many? It's like how many xbox games save and load, yet only a handful can execute code saved due to memory overflows, there's many chicharo games, and some of them will have bugs.

14. Serantes

Serantes Peppy Member

well, you got a naomi2 gd system, so you seem to know what you are talking about

15. splith

splith Resolute Member

Great use of sarcasm.
    But my point is still there; why would a company use high security in a product, then in the next generation of that product, greatly reduce the level of security ?

16. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

It's more of how many have been found with bugs in them that can have overflows occur then how many of those overflows can be used to execute useful code. I don't know the specifics of why 007 Agent Under Fire, Splinter Cell and Mech Assault have the exact bug needed to run the exploit used to install the softmod. Likely it is some shared code from the XDK that when combined with the right environmental variables causes it to crop up and doesn't in every other game. Maybe their setup wasn't patched or maybe they all used the same dude who coded the save system. No idea.

Most of the Chihiro games will have security checks if not for anything than to prevent bootlegging. Running it on an XBox is likely not on their minds due to the differences in hardware that are just plain missing on the XBox side.

17. splith

splith Resolute Member

NAOMI GD ROMs do not run on the dreamcast, this is NAOMI 1 I'm talking about with the single processor not NAOMI 2 with the dual processor (Obviously they would never run).

18. wombat

wombat SEGA!

The NAOMI board is similar to the Dreamcast, but games are programmed different. With Chihiro games are programmed in a very simmilar way to the Xbox, it even uses XBE's (as Serantes points out). So you can't really compare those two platforms, just becouse they both use GD-R's.

19. Parris

There was also the Atomiswave. They are all based on the Dreamcast, but totally different.

Images of Chihiro in bits required?

Serantes is about the only person I know that tends to get all of these things to work and he also tends to know what he is talking about regarding various arcade hackz, but that said I did mention I'd heard rumours it was technically possible.

A lot of work involved when it might really be easier just getting a Dreamcast or Xbox lol

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  20. soyandroid

soyandroid Rapidly Rising Member

Run Xbox Games on Chihiro

Hi,

I'm from Barcelona (Spain) and i'm new in this forum, i think this is my first post.

I'm working since some month ago on understanding how really works the Chihiro.

I used a green Debug Xbox for repair a Chihhiro and it works well, only is necessary to reprogram the firmware on the board with the one used by the Chihiro.

The XBOX mainboard on the Chihiro, have the same MCPX X2, used on the debug version of the console, and has also the LPC connector already mounted, as used on the Chihiro.

My idea is not to run Chihiro games on Xbox.

My idea is the opposite, there are a lot of software, homebrew, games, demos, etc for Xbox, that can be converted for use them on the Chihiro, and i will like to run them on my Naomi cabinet.

The Chihihro is a good platform for use for developpement of Xbox software, as software can be load easely via Neebooting or via CF card and the protection of the Dimm, can be easely dissabled by using unecrypted code.

Best Regards
    soyandroid