Cheats on PSone (SCPH-102)?

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Vanguard, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Whats the best way to cheat on a PSone?
    I know there are cheat discs (Cheat Devices sadly dont work on the PSone), but is there a way to update those?
    Is there a homebrew alternative to them perhaps?
    I have seen people modding PSones with caetla by soldering a chip and installing a switch, is there a tutorial for such a mod?

2. notataco64

notataco64 Rapidly Rising Member

Cheat codes? GameShark was pretty sweet back in the day.
    I can't remember which version I had (it's been 17 years), but it came with a disc and a memory card like this one to store and add codes.
    [​IMG]
    It worked perfectly fine on the PSOne

3. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

That dongle in the picture is from the Game Shark CDX. Mine is version 3.3 and works great on the PSone models. There's another "Lite" version which is disc only and will use your memory card to store new codes and configuration so make sure to have two blocks on the player 1 memory card available.

4. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Are there maybe versions of these where people have added more codes and functions to it?
    I imagine any code-database released back in the day on a commercial product like this, must be fairly limited.

5. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

You can certainly add more codes to both versions manually with the controller. Since the Lite version relies on a regular memory card there might be someone out there that has a saves full of new codes to upload onto your memory card via Dex Drive but I never bothered that much to look.

6. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

I found something that has what i need!

Its called the "PSX Hacker Kit Beta 8" and contains:
    "PAL/NTSC Selector:
    Import Player 1.4

CHEAT DEVICES:
    Code Breaker v.4
    Code Breaker v.4
    Xploder CD9000 v.2
    Xploder CD9000 v.3
    Xploder CD9000 v.3
    German Xploder CD9000 v.4
    GameShark v.2
    GameShark v.3.4 aka Lite
    GameShark v.4.0
    GameShark v.4.1
    GameShark v.5
    Action Replay Lite [GS Hack]
    Action Replay v.2 [J]
    Code Archiver Action Replay v.4
    Planet PSX Cheats v.2
    Xploder Demo

TOOLS FOR MEMORY CARD:
    Memory Renamer Card
    Memory Card Manager "

Cant post it here since it contains copyrighted works.

7. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

The only cheat discs that didn't allow adding new codes were the ones included in magazines and such, which had a limited version of the engine (ie. they included a small amount of cheat codes for specific games, and didn't allow new codes to be entered). This way you could try the functionality, and if you liked it, you had to buy the full thing.
    There were several websites dedicated to both finding and storing codes for games for all platforms; some died, others remain alive. Usually a quick google search for the game name + cheat code will bring you to some of the sites still alive.

Some discs also included additional functionality, such as playing imports, watching videos/pictures from a game disc, booting backups, etc.

The cheat codes are basically memory areas and the value you give them, so they were used (to a small extent) for things other than just cheating; examples of this: accessing debug areas; bypassing the net yaroze access card check, etc.

Action Replay and Gameshark were the same (GameShark was the US-branded version), so they used the same code format.
    Others used their own, and usually supported others' codes.
    IIRC for PS1 Xploder was the best one, in terms of supporting the biggest amount of games/codes; for PS2 it was CodeBreaker. But this is what I read, never bothered putting it to test.

There was a homebrew alternative, but I can't remember the name. I'll reply here if I find it.

Not sure about adding caetla by soldering a chip to the psone board, but I'd assume there's videos/tutorials out there. Maybe it was a replacement BIOS?

Vanguard likes this.
  8. danhans115

danhans115 Spirited Member

9. krHACKen

krHACKen Enthusiastic Member

GameGenius is kewl too imo. But it's damn expensive and requires a modchip :( .
    You may also like "Cheat Engine Compilation";).

CD CodePatch v1.0 (c) Tayan, aka this bootleg.

pool7 likes this.
  10. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Your post was the one i read!
    I love the idea of that mod.
    Someone has apparently succeeded in doing it and is selling such a console.
    Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PSOne-CAET...shark-action-replay-cheat-codes-/233062693491

I would love doing that mod, but i wont even pretend i could do something like that without a guide.

@krHACKen Thanks man! So much cool new stuff to check out! Had no idea these existed!

@pool7 Apparently it has a switch on the bottom-half of the housing and so you can switch between bios chips. Looks interesting, but i would prefer doing it myself than buying something from russia and i couldnt find any guides, videos etc.

pool7 likes this.
  11. danhans115

Ill get a guide up once I get it working. It should be simple in theory.. we just dont have the PAL logic to support the switch in the same way an action replay does, but Trimesh came up with a workaround for that.

I am looking to get a serial server sat in a BIOS so it can be booted to it instantly, then use Wifi to send over the code. Working well so far on a grey PSX with a flashed AR, just need to get it working well in a PSone.

I emailed that seller a long time ago, he had just the device for sale once upon a time but doesnt sell them on their own any longer. There are some close up shots of it on a thread in Hacks & Mods.. there isnt any electronics as such.. just a flashrom and some wiring.

12. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

@danhans115 Ah okay, i completely misunderstood his listing then!

I would definitely love it if you were to end up doing a guide, because this mod would be so fun to do and extra functionality on a retro-console is right up my alley!

I am sure, if you want to, you can get it working in time! :)

13. danhans115

I have ordered a programmer to make this easier to try, getting bored of trying to flash using the PS itself. Hopefuilly will be delivered before the weekend.

Also, buying 29Fxxx parts is tricky new.. 39Fxxx are readily available. WIll order a few SST39F020 from Farnell and some TSOP-32 to DIP adapters, which should make the soldering easier.

Seems like this was already done pretty much, even has PCB files :)

https://assemblergames.com/threads/ps1-bios-pcbs.68957/

14. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

@danhans115 That is just so cool!
    Having the option to flash multiple different bios files to a PSone/PS1 really excites me.
    I have a feeling that if this gets wide-spread there will eventually be even more cool things to do with that.
    Maybe not just caetla and the no$psx bios!
    Those are already pretty damn cool tho if you ask me!

15. danhans115

I have the source for xflash, so will try wiring up a SST39F020 tonight and see if I can add the manufacturer/part ID's to x-flash. I am not sure if the flash routines would then need rewriting or if they follow some sort of standard.

I think.. if we tried it with a 512k (4mb) rom you could have two 256k expansion roms on one chip, just by toggling A19.

16. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

woah, thats a great idea!
    You should make a thread where you chronicle your development!
    I bet a lot of people would be really interested in this.
    I would definitely subscribe to that thread!

17. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Generally speaking, those 8-bit wide SST chips use the same flash algorithms so providing the chip is identified it should program.

One thing to watch out for is that the flash mapping isn't direct 1:1 for 256KB carts. The original Action Replay only had a 128KB ROM and was mapped with the flash at 0x1f000000 to 0x1f01ffff - on the 256KB carts, the ROM was split with the first half at 0x1f000000 to 0x1f01ffff and the second half at 0x1f040000 to 0x1f05ffff

Basically, A17 on the flash has to wire to A18 on the expansion port if you want to use original 256KB cheat device ROMS.

pool7 likes this.
  18. danhans115

Thanks again. The Microchip SST 39F020 is really easy to get hold of cheaply in TSOP, DIP and PLCC32 from RS/Farnell so will try one of those. Just to clarify.. where would they be connecting the /WR pin from the flash rom? Just so it can be easily flashed on the console?

Also, I traced out some alternative larger points for the data/address lines - excuse the horrible layout. Basically the numbers correspond to the pins on the BIOS ROM, I have excluded CE as we will be using CPU pin 98. The test point for that is rather small but I still found this approach easier than soldering directly to the BIOS ROM.

Cheers

Attached Files: