Certain games won't run from XBOX HDD

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by filevans, Mar 12, 2019.

1. filevans

filevans Member

Hello everyone

I have hundreds of games on my 1tb hard drive (with SATA adaptor) softmod SID 3.1 but I have found a handful that won't launch, neither in XBMC or UnleashX, they won't boot at all and hang and reset the console before anything happens, and I've tried more than one source of the game in some cases. I've also tried patching any XBEs that needed it on Qwix. These are games that I can't get to work:

Alter echo
    Amped 1 & 2 (tried 2 different sources)
    Break nine billiards
    Carmen SanDiego (tried 3 different sources)
    Digimon world 4 (tried 2 different sources)
    Drihoo
    Myst IV
    The Incredibles 1 & 2 (tried 2 different sources)
    Thousand island
    Togue R (tried 2 different sources)
    Wallace & grommit 1 & 2

Please could anyone help me out
    Thanks a lot

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

How is your xbox modded?
    In case of a softmod, there exist a program that can mount a game iso file and launch the game like if i's a disk inserted in the drive.
    Maybe you could give that method a try. I seem to remember you can find the xbe as part of the nkpatcher source package.

3. filevans

filevans Member

SID 3.1 I think. Thanks for your reply.

I've seen other people running amped 2 from HDD so that one should work, so I don't know what is going on with that one

4. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

You might try upgrading your softmod. There are newer versions than SID 3.1

SID 5.11 or .12, or
    Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool Build v1.1.5 or Test Build v1.1.6.

What kernel does UnleashX show is running? In UnleashX, press the (Y) button to display the system info page. Scroll down as necessary to find the kernel version.

What version Xbox are you using?

5. filevans

filevans Member

Xbox v1.1 (0b)
    Kernel 1.0.5101.1

To update to SID 5.12 do I need to remove the 3.1 softmod? Or can I just install 5.12 straight over it?

And do you know what differences there are between SID 5.12 and Rocky5's? And which is the best

Personally I don't like the shadow C drive, it takes up more space and gets confusing whether you're in shadow C or real C

Thanks

6. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Try installing from a retail disk instead of downloads, never had an issue with those games.

7. filevans

filevans Member

8. KaosEngineer

That I don't know as I've never used SID. I've either installed a modchip or used Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool.

Never really looked at the differences between the two. SID is much larger but it includes a lot more installation options than the Xbox Softmodding Tool.

9. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

Under the hood, they all use nkpatcher to do the job. If you don't like the shadowc, you can disable it by placing a shadowc_OFF.bin file in a specific folder on the E drive. Be carefull as a softmodded xbox needs a functional og dashboard on the real c partition. If you mess it up your system will boot into an error screen. A good softmod should place the virtual C file on the real C partition, so you don't lose any space using it.
    Make sure the games you try to run are for the correct region of your xbox. The shadowc and virtual eeprom are 2 features that make your softmod more "user error proof".

10. filevans

filevans Member

No one told me if I can or how I update the existing soft mod from 3.1 to say 5.11 or rocky5, do I have to completely remove one and redo the whole thing?

As I ran rocky5 and it has no options menu like SID has and just has you press one button and everything is automated, and it has blitzed my C drive now and I have error 21/16.
    I just want to know now if I can just put msdash back on C without touching my other partitions which have my emulators and games on (I have my eeprom and HD key) I know I can rebuild the whole drive with XBHDM but I want to just build C only and leave E,F,G untouched. I also have another Xbox with an xecuter2 in, but not sure if I could use that in any way to recopy msdash to the C on the softmodded one

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  11. filevans

filevans Member

I've just found a page on sevensins and seems I can just rebuild C so that's good

12. KaosEngineer

Yes, install the MS dashboard 5960 file set to the C drive. You should not get any errors though after using the upgrade app found in the Quick Upgrade.zip archive downloaded from the Xbox Softmodding Tool Build v1.1.5 or Test Build v1.1.6 / Installer Variants folder.

13. filevans

filevans Member

OK I've tested the same 1tb HDD on a different console with an xecuter2 and the games still won't work, and I've also tested some of the same games on a 160gb HDD with the SID on, and the games work, so that rules out the type of mod and also the console too. So it must be down to either the SATA adapter or the hard drive size/formatting itself I would say? I don't think it can be cluster size and the drive getting full, as I tried copying some duplicate games that I knew work already afterwards and they still work.

Also I copied some of the non working games to the E drive and they won't run from there either. So has to be something to do with the drive or SATA adapter I think

oldengineer likes this.
  14. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

Of the games on your list, I've only played Wallace & grommit 1 & 2, but I can confirm that they both work fine from my XBox's hard drive. I use Evo-X to boot up the XBox, and DVD2XBox to install the game from the original disc to the hard drive.

Download DVD2XBox from https://digiex.net/threads/dvd2xbox...s-cds-and-xbox-games-to-the-hard-drive.13823/ or use Google for another download. I've always used DVD2XBox, and it's made every game I've ever tried run from the hard drive.

Edit: I should say, my XBox has a 500GB IDE hard drive.