Cart slot too tight - Fei Hao Mega Drive

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Batzarro, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Batzarro

Batzarro Member

Hi everyone.

I watched quite a few video reviews on the HDMI Fei Hao Mega Drive, then bought one. I took note of all the little issues they mentioned and I agree with all of them, but it's not bad overall. Well... apart from one thing; Many have mentioned the tight cart slot but usually mentioned it in passing like it's one of the small issues. For me, it's the number one problem, this thing is the grip of death!

It's a deal breaker for me because it feels like it's going to break the carts, well unless the cart is a pirate / repro. I honestly thought I'd not be able to get the cart out at first, it took me like 2 minutes of pulling, I ended up having to pick up the console and use both arms. I then tried to push it in lightly but somehow it was just as bad.

I want to fix this. I thought to buy a cart slot online, but they are unofficial of course, so could be just as bad. they could simply come from the same manufacturer. I could take one out of a real MD but that's a waste. I've decided the best thing to do would be to take the cart slot out of one of those rubbish little AtGames units; They aren't that old, aren't rare and are pretty cheap, I have one from some years ago.

I'm no expert with this kinda thing, like soldering, but I will make sure I know what I'm doing before trying it. Do you think it would be possible? Also do you know of a better solution? Is there a way to simply loosen the Fei Hao Mega Drive cart slot?

Thank you for your time.

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I had one of these and in all honesty the cart slot was fine. That's the thing with Chinese stuff. You can never expect constant quality.
    My suggestion is to use two credit cards back to back or a game you don't care about and repeatedly move it in and out of the cart slot until it's loose.

Shadha likes this.
  3. Batzarro

Batzarro Member

Oh cool, I'll give that a try.

4. Shadha

Shadha Rising Member

If you dont mind a mess that you would have to clean up, you can get mr cleans magic eraser, and scrub the the border or the cart, its like a super fine sand paper and can help take some of that friction off.. will make a mess tho

5. Batzarro

Batzarro Member

Yakuma, it worked really well! Haha, it just needed a bit of loosening. I used 2 old cards and did what you said. I also rocked them forward and back a little. Carts really aren't that tight in it anymore and they're working fine. BTW I was told it doesn't work with PAL games, but all the ones I tried were fine besides one.

Wouldn't that actually wear down the contacts?

Yakumo likes this.