CART Precision Racing - Beta 2 - 9/29/1997 (Microsoft Confidential Disc)

Discussion in 'Price Check Forum' started by dsasmblr, Jan 14, 2018.

1. dsasmblr

dsasmblr Member

What might this be worth?

[​IMG]

2. VerticalE

VerticalE Robust Member

I have some microsoft discs identical to that one and the fail ratio (unable to read data) is 80-90%. If yours work, get the data dumped immediately to an image file. These are 20+ year CD-Rs and they are bit-rot is common. If you get trouble dumping it feel free to PM me.

Edit - Oh and about disc worth: racing/sports games are unfortunately rarely worth much, except for unreleased titles. This is the beta of a mediocre racing game developed by the same guys who made Nocturne and Blood Rayne (Terminal Reality). It released at the end of 1997, so this disc is close to release. $20-$40 or something like that?

dsasmblr likes this.
  3. dsasmblr

dsasmblr Member

Thanks for the reply, VerticalE! It's actually funny that it was you who replied due to the fact that I was going to send you a message based on this post of yours, lol. Good to know about these types of games insofar as racing games not bringing in very much.

Where the disc is concerned, I'm actually a collector of Microsoft Windows betas, and I have a whole slew of builds on these discs. I know exactly what you're talking about, and I thought the problem was the discs for the longest time; however, the problem seems to be with more recent drives not reading them. Once I tried an older CD-ROM from circa early 2000, all the ones I had issues with, worked 100%.

I also have a bunch of these discs sealed:

IMG_20180114_210142 - Copy.jpg

The ones with the blue splines are Mitsui Gold, and they are the ones that seem to be the most problematic:

IMG_20180114_210024 - Copy.jpg IMG_20180114_210034 - Copy.jpg

The others are Mitsui CD-R:

IMG_20180114_210045 - Copy.jpg IMG_20180114_210053 - Copy.jpg

The difference in the ones that do and do not work for you may be in this distinction (even though I think they're technically the same disc). You can tell the difference by what's printed along the inner clear plastic ring of the discs.

Anyway, I'm of course not 100% certain that the problem with yours is simply a matter of optical drive, but if you haven't tried yet (even if both Gold and CD-R do not work), pick up an old, el-cheapo CD-ROM and see if that works for you. =)

Going to shoot you a PM soon insofar as inquiring with you what I was going to initially.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  4. VerticalE

VerticalE Robust Member

Well that was a real eye-opener, thank you so much for that! I have a setup of 3 different DVD/BR drives that I use to preserve discs as close to 100% as I can. All of them are relatively new and I never even considered using an old drive. I hope I have some of my old drives left. I also bought one of those CD-ROMs that support GD-R (dreamcast) format discs and I think it is a rather old drive. I could give that a try as well.

Again, thank you for that tip. The ones that didn't read failed 100%, couldn't even read TOC. Now I can hopefully get the last ones preserved.

5. dsasmblr

dsasmblr Member

No problem! I hope you find that it actually helps you. =)